Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Gallery Big Dog Invitational

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be so absent...have been on road since end of January and am frantically trying to catch up!

We ended up with three SPECTACULAR television episodes, unlike anything you guys have ever seen before. It going to be sport shooting the way you always though sport shooting on television should be...except for Strader, of course, who did two out of five stages in drag!

Seriously, I've known Phil to shake his hand but never really worked with him. He is a GREAT guy to have on hand...thanks Phil and thanks to the Forum for selecting him. Ask him how he decided to stand up and shoot — what was it? — four out of seven plates off-hand at distances from 58-98 yards with a 3-inch Ruger Alaskan with full house .454 Casull hunting loads. The gun barely rose in his hands. An amazing performance, Mr. Strader.

Jerry did what Jerry does best...exactly enough to win no matter what he was shooting. He told me this was "the hardest easy match" he'd ever shot. And it was too hard...that's after cancelling the hardest of the original six stages!

The shooters put up with a TREMENDOUS amount of bat dookey...a match designed for television is nothing at all like a real match. It moves at glacial speed, with lots of "hurry up and wait" and really annoying pauses built in. Still, the shooters stood still for all the abuse with good grace, which I appreciate more than they can imagine.

As of Sunday evening, I decided that I'd rather chain saw off my leg and eat it rather than try this again. However, in the last two days we've been showered with promises of big sponsorship bucks if we put together something similar — hopefully without all the kinks!!! — for next year. Essentially, the industry is of the opinion that this is how competition needs to go to get widespread media exposure. It solves a lot of the problems that have been hounding us over the years.

And there were some really great performances that you're going to get to see...Randi Rogers essentially carved out her place as one of the top shooters in the world; Roger Sherman came to kick butt and came really really close; Max Michel was as fast as only Max can be; we've already spoken about Phil & Jerry, etc.

I wish I knew the trick on doing things perfect the first time, but Robin and I have discovered over and over that when you do something that hasn't been done before, that's 'WAY outside the box, you've got to RUN one to see what it looks like and what you REALLY need to do.

I posted a lot of thanks on the blog...for you guys, thanks for sending Strader.

Michael B

• 5 months later...
Has Michael said when this will air yet?

Per page 1 of this thread:

"2 Special Episodes to be aired July 2006"

Just finished watching the second episode. The visibility of the targets (or lack there of) left me flat. It wasn't nearly as "watchable" as Shooting Gallery's coverage of the Steel Challenge IMHO.

Some might like the blind gun format. I'm not sure I did. Sponsor driven? Seemed that way to the uninformed. Uninformed - that's me. ;)

Negativity aside, I still enjoyed it.

I watched the two episodes too. My biggest complaint as a TV watcher is that the steel targets need to be falling targets to make it interesting from a distance.

Learned my lesson. Won't do it again.

A sponsor offered me a boxload of money to do a 2007 version, and I told him I would rather use a nailgun on Mr. Weasel.

mb

Well, before you fire up the air compressor, take comfort in the fact that you don't make discoveries if you aren't out there trying stuff.

I think the general notion has promise. I have watched my share of made-for-TV competitions and I think you're almost there. What (I think) we all would watch would be a program something like a cross between the Westchester Kennel Club, Arena Football, Golf, and a Monster Truck championship.

With the bleachers well back of the 180, remote cameras could be everywhere the action takes place. Several folks have tried this before, but nobody has attained that Monday Night Football production look.

Load the guns with frangible ammo (from your frangible ammo sponsors) and build a berm that the Monster Truckers or Supercrossers can use as a banked turn the following week.

You'll keep the downrange bleachers empty of course, in case Jerry or TGO puts one over the berm, but lead-free frangible ammo won't do much damage if Max does DQ one time. For Gold level sponsors you may even build boxes down range (behind bullet proof glass from your bullet proof glass sponsor). Or perhaps VIP's would tool around downrange in an up-armored Suburban from your Executive Security sponsor. Course design could include "Safe Zones" for VIP viewing or perhaps the up-armored Lincoln would be a part of the course design and contain a camera crew along with the stage sponsor.

I think you're right on the verge of creating a venue that would attract a broad range of spectators and look good on TV as well.

My wife and I just saw the second show today, having seen the first several days ago. I am currently shooting IDPA, and can't even get her to come to a match, much less shoot in one. She has no problem with guns, shoots my Glock at the range, and wants her own Beretta Px4 and CX4 combo, but she just is not into guns like I am. The closest I have come to getting her to shoot in an organized event was when I showed her the Babes with Bullets video. She thought something like that would be great, without all the guys around...

Anyway, normally when a show about shooting comes on, she leaves the room. Not always, she does like to see some of the new guns on Guns and Ammo or something, but she generally shows casual interest, if that. When the Big Dog match started, she loved it! She thought it was great that the shooters were put outside their comfort zones, and looked like mere mortals at least some of the time. She said to me, 'That is how those matches should be, give them something they don't use all the time, and see who is the best with it'.

I was floored. In a good way. :D

As for me, I thought it was quite an interesting set of shows. I was disappointed that we did not get to see more of the ladies shooting, and sometimes I got a little lost, as large segments of stages were skipped. However, given the time constraints, I thought it was pretty well done. Having said that, the last stage was terrible. If a match were just about who could run the fastest and still shoot two rounds towards each target, that would be one thing. I thought matches were about hitting the targets. I don't like it when a competitor can point the gun in the general direction of a target and pull the trigger twice, and then run like mad to do it again, and have a chance of winning the stage. If you are having a competition about shooting, make them hit the darn targets! Or at least try.

To sum up, we liked it, we would watch more like it, and with a few changes it could be even better!

Arnie

Just for the record, not EVERYONE was fanning two shots at the targets on the last stage!

From the shooting side, I think Micheal had the right idea, but the execution fell short. I haven't seen the episodes yet, so I can't comment from the viewer's perspective. I look forward to seeing it soon, though.

After talking with Mr. Bane several times, it's my intention to host a similar event next year at the US Shooting Academy in Tulsa, OK. With a changed format, falling steel, and different equipment regulations, I'm confident it will be the most exciting match to WATCH and to shoot since the S&W Pro-Am years ago.

Keep your eyes peeled for details at www.usshootingacademy.com

Take care

Phil

Getting all the top shooters togeather for an action pistol match..... Why not just film the USPSA Nationals Super Squad?? Explain or show the COF's "3D computer diagram would be cool" before they shoot them would make it a lot more interesting IMO.

I don't know about seagulling, but I read some of his other posts and he's a 3-dollar bill for sure. <_<

fly in, make a lot of noise, crap on everything, and then leave.

lynn

i think the correct internet forum term is "trolling".

Edited by lynn jones

I don't know about seagulling, but I read some of his other posts and he's a 3-dollar bill for sure. <_<

fly in, make a lot of noise, crap on everything, and then leave.

lynn

i think the correct internet forum term is "trolling".

I did a google on seagulling; it was too bizarre even for this guy. :o

I don't care what anyone says. I loved this competition! I did see some stuff that I would have liked though. Lets put on some regular joes and janes, like me! It would have been kind of cool to see a fresh 250-350 class grad shoot with these guys and gals. That would have been cool! Sorry you got sick Julie! Good on you Randy! Give them boys somethin' to worry about!

We need to keep in mind that we're not making a show that IPSC shooters will like, but what the average shooting public will find entertaining.

As good as Saul's DVD's are of the Super Squads, they are repetitive. The average viewer who shoots (not the average IPSC shooter who watches) starts to loose interest because everyone seems to be doing the same stuff.

I'm not going to give too much away this early, but the match USSA will be putting together will be extremely interesting to watch by anyone who takes an interest in shooting.

I guess we've drifted this thread as far as humanly possible!

See you on the range