Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major too much gas?

Timido

In 9mm Major powder choice is it possible to have to much gas?  I am just curious why people choose powders a little faster  over slower powders that create more gas?   I'm new to loading major and have only loaded shooters world Major powder. 

It really just all depends on the comp, and springs/ the gun. It would be relatively easy to over gas any system. Most the slower powders usually don't create enough velocity. I had a load for 147's and vv 3n38, and was pretty close to having powder right to the case mouth. I'm sure a flake/ball powder would fill the case less though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

T, yes there is a possibility of making too much gas.  In 9mm major, it is possible, but unlikely.  SW major Pistol powder is an excellent powder for major.  It is very compressible.  So if you drop 11gr into a 9mm case and compress with a 115gr bullet, you can have too much gas if you are running an inefficient comp.

The best way to test is to shot at a white no-shoot target from two inches away.  If there is only a very light splatter on the board, you do not have too much gas.  If it is heavily marked, you do.

Another way to tell is with a ladder load.  Load five each starting a little under your current load.  The five more at +.2gr, etc., etc. up to as much as you dare.  The gun will shoot softer and softer as you go up in power, then it hill hit your hand harder.  At that point you know you are making too much gas for your setup and should back down one notch.  Gas jetting out the front of the comp makes the gun hit your hand harder.  The only reason you should accept that is if you cannot make major any other way.

4 hours ago, Timido said:

why people choose powders a little faster  over slower powders that create more gas?  

Don B (above) hit it on the head.

3N38 is supposed to be an excellent choice for 9mm Major and WAC is about the worst.

I use WAC with a 124 gr bullet so powder doesn't spill all over the reloading press.  More

muzzle lift, but easier to reload.

9x25 Dillon ran 17 grains of H110 and would still flip a bit.  Other loads could drive the muzzle down.

Gonna be tough to get 17 grains of anything in a 9x19 case, let alone H110.

So, it's very unlikely to 'over-gas' a 9 as-such.  Any given comp might not work well, or you might prefer a different recoil and dot action but that's a bit different.

9x25 Dillon ran 17 grains of H110 and would still flip a bit.  Other loads could drive the muzzle down.

Gonna be tough to get 17 grains of anything in a 9x19 case, let alone H110.

So, it's very unlikely to 'over-gas' a 9 as-such.  Any given comp might not work well, or you might prefer a different recoil and dot action but that's a bit different.

9x25 makes it easy to out gas a comp. Especially a big one... I got a way to big one and I'm a little out gassed at 15 grains 110. And make 185pf. Sure clears out the range shed though. But dropping the charge, and spring should fix that. 9x25 is a beast

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

T, describe your comp and barrel.  I shoot 10.2gr MP under a 115 for 169PF.  I have a three port comp and two 3/16" poppels.  Fired from 2" my load is cleaner than your 124gr load by quite a bit.  In fact, it was super clean even before I put the poppels in.

While playing with Power Pistol as a 9major powder, before I reached major PF I experienced a charge range that caused the muzzle to dip upon firing. 

Sometimes with a light bullet and a big charge the gun will wiggle as it recoil as opposed to a predictable up and down recoil.  This is why many people chose a 124gr bullet over a 115gr. 

On 2/16/2020 at 8:16 AM, zzt said:

Two of my buddies shoot a CM.  The comps are not all that efficient.  One shoots 124s because they are softer.  The other 115s because they are flatter.

That is what I've found also.  Upping the 124 load helped alot though.  Im going to run that load for a while and Chrono it again when it gets warmer out to make sure it's still good