Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super and MBX mags..OAL?

mont1120

Just started getting into the Open game with a used SVI .38  Super and had a question on OAL and MBX magazines.

The load is a MG 115 HP with 8.4 grains of Longshot which gets me around 165-168 PF. I had set the recommended OAL at 1.245 per SVI. The problem I am having is the .38 Super rounds (not Supercomp), are hanging up in the middle of a 170MM MBX tube. My 140 STI mag does not have any such problems. After talking with a very helpful MBX person, I found the internal measurements of an MBX vs. an STI is different with less room in the MBX front to back. It was relayed to me to shorten the rounds because the shorter measurement and the rimmed Super cases would possibly cause the stacking issue.

With this in mind, I ended up with a 1.209 OAL to finally stop the noses of the rounds from sticking and rubbing in the tube. Is this something others on this forum are seeing? My PF did inch up to 170, but there was not pressure sign difference at all. I just want to be sure I am not asking for trouble. If I didn't have 2k pieces of .38 Super I would not worry much about it.I would just move to using Supercomp which I load further out.

Having shot Carry Optics for the last 3 years, I thought I would give Open a shot (pun intended) as it seems CO is now the crowded field. If I had decent eyeballs I'd go back to, yes, you read this, the dreaded L10 division.........Mom always said I was a little bit different.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, 191138sc said:

This was my same experience. Sweet spot for faultless feeding was 1.245.

I'm glad someone else confirmed my data, now if they ever come back in stock after they were sold off.  I only have 2K left then I have to work up a new recipe.