Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

#1 Favorite and Pet Peeve about UML Rule Set

5 minutes ago, louu said:

Check them out, it's a really short read. They are pretty basic and you can do whatever you want, the targets are simple, the scoring is simple, the divisions are simple. 

I have. I am interested in what you feel is the best. 

I would have said the same thing about UML rules. 

20 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Can we have a separate thread about 3GN rules? My list of peeves would be WAAAAY longer. Hopefully they are gone for good.

Might as well put your list in this thread. I'm curious to see more points of view and having them compiled in one place would be great.

37 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Might as well put your list in this thread. I'm curious to see more points of view and having them compiled in one place would be great.

Pretty much the same issues as UML (barely coherent rules structure, coach-and-horses gaps, an even more silly paper target etc.), plus penalty times so small I could stay in bed, eat the penalties and still place in the top half. :roflol:

Exactly. Look at people complaining about "long range" penalties being too high. Or people on the spinner. Make it 60 seconds and people are upset. Make it 30 or less and half the shooter's can't spin it in under that time with their pistols. Others say get rid of that circus target, but are cool with being strapped into a roller coaster or shooting upside down.

Never going to please everyone. Just shoot the matches you like. If you're a MD run the rules you like. Life is too short and our shotgun tubes are too long 😁

• 1 month later...

Interesting Topic: sorry I am late to the game...

If we are talking about what we don't like and do like about the rules, just open it up all around; and trying to compare decades old rule's against a newer organization's rule's will always be a debate, especially when one is aiming for a simpler set of rules and to avoid conflicts.  For the last 4 years I ran 3GN rule set with (4) Divisions only, this season we moved over to UML because of the uncertainty with 3GN.  I am only running 3 Divisions under UML. 

• Divisions:
    • 3GN, USPSA & UML all have the same basic 3 divisions
      • Practical = Tactical Optics
      • Factory = Limited
      • Unlimited = Unlimited
        • UML Unlimited 2x4
        • 3GN UnlimitedX4
    • However, 3GN has Practical PCC, which is a good viable division for new shooters starting out in 3-Gun IMO.  We had many a shooter start in that division before moving over to limited or practical or even unlimited.
    • Also, IMO Unlimited should be a 4-Gun division with the shooter having the option to use a PCC.  I disagree with Practical or Factory having the same option.
  • Round Counts
    • The last time I checked USPSA has multiple Divisions that require RO's to count shots between reloads all the time, thus being able to walk and chew gum seems common training for RO's IMO
    • Limiting the rounds to 8 in a shotgun before the bell to me is simply forcing shooters to re-load during a match, re-loading in my opinion is a skill that separates shooters through skill levels, thus just another way to establish overall skill level.  That's a good thing. 
    • As to the argument that an RO should not be wasting time counting rounds it's less safe, simply poppy cock; what is less safe is that people think that you should only have 1 RO running people in any match IMO.  I stress very heavy at all my matches to have 2 people at all times running each shooter and what I will call the second, it's their duty to score, also watch the shooter and keep shot count if necessary and work as a team.
  • Some Items I prefer heavily in the 3GN rule set over both USPSA & UML
    • Shoot through s, talk about wasting time arguing with shooters if they hit a no-shoot directly or clipped one through another target at an angle on a shoot through. 
      • To me it's simple, bullets go through things, thus I use placement of no shoots behind targets in my 3-Gun stages to force people to move to different angles in a stage rather than aiming around the edge of a no-shoot to clip 2 in the corner.  Not knowing exactly how much of an angle is there for the no-shoot once passing through the main target ensures shooters to move to a good clean shot, rather than a heavy lean.
      • It also makes the penalty more forgiving when shooting through a no shoot placed over a target partially,  because the shoot through can still count as a hit on the target behind possibly, and not a miss plus the hit on the no-shoot.
    • Staying inside the free fire zone
      • I truly believe the run anywhere you want, but pulling the trigger has to be done within the FFZ is nuts, IMO having the shooter stay within the FFZ at all times is much cleaner to where the shooter will be traveling for the RO.  
    • Being in an area were I have rain 40% of the time at matches during the season, having 1 paper target  that I don't have to worry about the heads drooping down under the covers is a big help.
      • I really like UML's use any paper target you want rule over 3GN or USPSA, why not, the stipulation should be scoring zones, not a specific target shape in my book anyway.
        • Minimum area's within each zone to me is the true target.
    • Shooter fee's
      • USPSA requires payment for each shooter that participates in a level 1 match whether the shooter is a member of USPSA or not and classifiers
      • 3GN only requires payment for 3GN members classifier scores submitted
      • At the moment UML requires no match fees at all and does not have per-say classifiers
    • UML made some rule changes this season to allow more flexibility for match directors and I am sure I will have more than a few comments, if we ever get to shoot a match this season...

Enjoy your day...