Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure To Engage (FTE) Penalty

Looking at rules for 2020 and wondering if folks would care to comment about FTE Penalty at matches they've been a part of.  Specifically, what do you see as positives and negatives of having that penalty and what would you think about having that penalty removed?

5 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I think it’s necessary because gamers would just skip difficult targets to avoid penalties or misses. 

Assuming all targets are required, do you feel the rule set used at your club matches has a stiff enough penalty to encourage the "gamers" to shoot at all targets?

Some major matches impose a different time value on FTE based on distance. For example, a 10 second penalty if the target is <100yds, 15 seconds from 100 to <200 and 20 or 30 seconds for targets 200 or farther. That has worked well at many matches.

Hurley

21 hours ago, HRider said:

Some major matches impose a different time value on FTE based on distance. For example, a 10 second penalty if the target is <100yds, 15 seconds from 100 to <200 and 20 or 30 seconds for targets 200 or farther. That has worked well at many matches.

Hurley

Similar to the FTE penalties, enhanced time penalties should also be applied to misses on long range targets.

A friend of mine once had an overall win on a long range stage shooting iron sights, because the match scoring didn't use enhanced time penalties for misses on longer ranged shots.  He shot the 2 close paper targets, then blasted 6 shots at Bill Drill speed towards the 6 steel, ran to the next position, ripped 6 fast shots at the 6 steel, ran to the last position and ripped another 6 fast shots at the 6 steel.

We were the last squad on the stage and the &^$%&* bastage shot after me, so I couldn't steal his stage plan!

Nolan