Rikarin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back to the original topic.

I've been feeling burnt out on SASS style cowboy matches. I don't go to many anymore. Western 3 Gun (much more IPSC like) is developing a division for single stack (or DA revolver) and any pump shotgun. I'm now shooting our local W3G match that way (helps if you are the MD).

Also, I'm returning to IPSC again. I haven't shot many IPSC (ok, USPSA) matches over the last few years, and I've got this really great Lim10 gun sitting on the table next to me (I'm starting to dry fire it).

I used it at our local steel match this month and really enjoyed it.

So, it might help to try a different shooting game for a few months. It'll strengthen your skills and allow you some time to recharge. Aside from that, you might get to buy a new gun!

Joel

If it weren't for finding something else I enjoy doing, I would have started cutting back my shooting schedule.  Instead, I'm now having a blast doing both.

Hmmm, wisedom here. I kinda is out form "burnt out" , because of the match last weekend I went saying "don't wannago!" I guess I finally was able to do "abandon" and it was a blast. Funny how things work.... when I absolutely didn't want to shoot, I had a break through.

But its so true. I dedicated myself to shooting too much and started to feel like draggin myself to the work. I am cutting back bit here and enjoying writing an article on contemporary architecture. If I made it deadline, I might even go to Richmond to shoot this weekend! :)

• 2 months later...

Rika, I just read your thread, and I have few things to say. I hope that they help.

First, what is the deal with Californians? Why is anybody driving alone to matches or practice sessions? Gas is costly, and good company on a car ride is priceless. Here in Michigan, we have folks that car pool to matches more than 30 to 45 minutes away.

Second, what is the deal with California men? Not that Rika wants to have to fend men off, but here is an attractive, intelligent, lady shooter having to drive alone to matches! Guys, wake up!

Third, and this is the big point - Teaching in the sports that I like has always helped me keep my batteries charged. I have been a range instructor for skeet and trap (Lordship Point!), classroom and boat instructor in sailboats (my sailing club), a coach for a junior smallbore rifle team (local rifle club), instructor in cross country skiing (my ski club), and a coach and instructor in High Power (my gun club). It has been a lot of years since I coached skeet or smallbore, but I still do the sailing and skiing. I intend to get a CFI someday soon and start instructing flying. That does require a more serious leap than the others.

One of the things about teaching is that when you are doing it, you have got to really learn it and know it. Teaching with motivated students can be just terrific when you see them make improvements and build enthusiasm.

So Rika, I do not know what to do about your fellow Californians, but if you like teaching, find a way to do more of it. It can be very rewarding. Maybe you can convince some of the folks that you see at many of the matches to start riding together to them... Good luck, and keep burning!

Billski

Rika, I just read your thread, and I have few things to say. I hope that they help.

First, what is the deal with Californians? Why is anybody driving alone to matches or practice sessions? Gas is costly, and good company on a car ride is priceless. Here in Michigan, we have folks that car pool to matches more than 30 to 45 minutes away.

Second, what is the deal with California men? Not that Rika wants to have to fend men off, but here is an attractive, intelligent, lady shooter having to drive alone to matches! Guys, wake up!

:angry: Lots of assumptions as to cause being made here! We do carpool to matches in California and the men here are just as horny if not more so than elsewhere! Don't presume to know a situation or a whole group of people based on a post on a forum!

Reneet, does the dancing seem to help smooth out your footwork? I've heard of football players learning ballet so their footwork improves.

Don't know that it helps with regard to the footwork but alot of the principals are the same. Smooth is fast, patience is key, if you feel like you're doing something fast... it's probably wrong/incorrect technique. The eyes control movement through a progression... eyes look, head turns, followed by shoulders, torso, hips, etc. My dance instructor is very good a drawing similarities between dancing and shooting to help me better understand techniques.

I haven't shot *nearly* enough in the last couple of years to get burned out, thanks to work.

But, "back in the day", I used to race sailboats professionally. And, once in a while it would wear me down, and start to feel like a "job", and I would hate the thought of practicing and working on techniques and all that. It just all felt like a burden.

What worked for me was to pull myself *out* of the competition mindset, and do some things that reminded my that I was racing for a living because I love to sail and I love to compete. So...

-- I'd load my walkman (today: ipod) with a bunch of favorite hard-rock tunes and just go out on the boat and "play"... no structure, no plan, no goals, just me and the boat and the water. An analog for shooting might be to set up some targets and just have a blast on them, with favorite music in your headphones. No "progress log", no goals, no timer, just smoke and grins. Make it fun. Remind yourself that shooting is fun.

-- I'd also go out and compete in "something else". Doesn't matter what it is. Go bowling with a friend, loser buys dinner. Enter a poker tournament. Race someone to the bottom of the ski slope. Whatever. Remind yourself that you love to compete, and fuel the competitive fire (and, if you happen to lose, that *might* even be better - because you can use that to renew your competitive flames towards shooting, where you *can* win)

$.02

Edited by bgary

Every match I go, I beat up myself if I had Ds or Miss

Additional [random] thought:

"I beat myself up" is an emotional punishment for a non-emotional act.

There's a world of difference between

"I made a mistake, I analyzed it, and recognize it as an opportunity to improve"

...and...

"I made a mistake, I hate myself for it, and I realize how bad I really am"

(not putting words in your mouth, just trying to illustrate opposite ends of the spectrum.)

I don't know who said it, but in my professional sailing career, I was always inspired by a certain quote:

"A professional is one who is committed to excellence. It has nothing to do with money."

So... when an error occurs, don't let emotion come into play. Just be committed to eliminating it, and let the pride of forward-progress and accomplishment be the emotion you feel.

Bruce

Rika,

I would just like to add a thought for you to ponder.

There are many things in life I am no good at.

There are a few things I do well.

One of the things I do best is shoot.

Because I seem to have an aptitude for it, I want to see how far I can take it.

I was already a senior when I started this game and I dream of the day when I can hoist a trophy over my head and say "This is for all you seniors out there".

Show them all that a girl can compete at the highest level.

If that doesn't motivate you I don't know what will.

From what I've read, you have a gift. Don't throw it away.

I'm reminded of a quote from "Chariots of Fire".

"God made me fast, and when I run, I feel his pleasure."

When you win nationals, the rest of the universe may not notice, but I will mark the day.

Tony

Edited by tlshores

I hope that nobody else was offended by my comments. I was trying to get somebody, anybody, thinking about camradery and have some fun at the same time, thinking that a laugh might be better than badgering. ipscbob, I do apologize for the offense, and to everyone else.

Now bout the burn out topic - bgary pointed out attiitude checks, and tlshores did too, but from different directions... I took a Lanny Basham seminar a long time ago, and he talked about how important the aggressive attitude and the arousal factor was even when he was ruling the roost in Smallbore. Somehow, I could never make it work in Highpower, but it shows up wonderfully now.

I have found that summoning up a little of the teenage aggressiveness and maybe some anger when the RO says "shooter ready?" helps me to be sharp when the beeper goes off, makes me a little stronger just when I need it. After all, I am going to be a Senior shooter in the spring, I need all of the attitude and strength I can get. For me it is just a tool to finish the aggressive side, but if you mix in additional goals, well, it could change the way you approach a stage, a match, or a whole sport.

Try it out to see if it puts a fun new twist on the game.

Billski

I have been purposefully keeping myself from shooting and practicing for about 3 months. I put alot of time in last yr and didn't want to stop. I also knew from past experience that to keep going like that can easily result in burnout in the middle of the next season for me. I have been wanting to practice and shoot and now I'm to the point of literally running through the gate with the truck just to get to the range faster. You have to stay hungry for competition, or at least I do and the best way for me is to give myself a good break mentally and physically.

Flyin40

• 5 weeks later...

I seem to burn out occassionally as well.

Given I haven't been shooting near as long as most people around here.

Most of my problem comes from the fact that it's hard for me to find other people to shoot with. I've met quite a few people shooting GSSF, but haven't found anyone who competes in the area to practice with. It's nice to have someone to work on drills with, and share critiques, talk shop, etc. Without that, putting holes in paper gets less interesting.

That being said, to get me out of a little slump, I just have to find something new/exciting to work on. Either a shop project, or new/fun drills.

• 1 month later...

Wow, interesting string.

Some people touched on this I think, but since I'm snowed in today, what the heck... I think your goals might have been the major contributing factor to your burn out. You initially spoke about never being able to be as good as the GM's and then later in the string talked about teaching and just being involved felt good.

I'm very new to USPSA shooting, and everything is new, every lesson is a discovery, every minor success is drastic, and I can barely wait for the next match. The wife has stopped asking what the thumping sound in the basement is (mags hitting the floor) every night. BUT.... my goals right now are completely realistic. I want to eventually make M, but for now, I want to beat one peticular B class shooter (he's a good man, and a good shooter, its immulation that is driving me). It's a reachable goal, without becoming so frustrated at myself I burn out.

Maybe its not you need a break from shooting, but simply need to take a different perspective/approach to YOUR shooting.

Also, keep this in mind while comparing yourself to other shooter. USPSA shooter are not the only shooters in the world. When it comes down to it, the military is truely the only people in the world paid to be professionals (Masters) at arms. I've been active duty for 17 years now, and I can tell you, any B Class shooter in USPSA is a better shooter than almost anyone in the US Military. Hows that for perspective.

My perspective....

My paycheck isn't signed by USPSA, IPSC or a gun industry sponsor. Thank God my living doesn't depend on my shooting. IPSC is a fun hobby, although sometimes it's more fun than other times. When it stops being fun I'll stop shooting and take up another hobby. I've actually stopped shooting for periods of time.

We're all wired differently in terms of aptitude. I've seen some novices take to shooting like a duck to water. Their improvement is stunning. Others, like myself, get high quality instruction and still progress at a snail's pace. It's not where my aptitude lies, but I still enjoy it. My gifts are in other areas, which is where I direct my competitive energy.

I'm not -- nor do I want to be -- a highly competitive shooter. I'll never win a match or score in the top 10%. For me, it's the camraderie and being able to do something fun and different for a few hours a week. If the stress gets too great -- which it has -- my satisfaction drops. When I measure myself against other shooters way above my ability it's less fun.

While I can watch the Grandmasters with awe -- I've ROed a bunch -- I'm not envious. They possess talent (it's not just discipline) and discipline I'll never have. This doesn't mean I don't set realistic goals for myself. Realistic is the key word here. Winning my class -- which I've sometimes done -- is fun, but not that important compared to other areas in my life.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my godness people, amazing wisedom here. And wsimpso1, that's funny. ;) But "teenage agressiveness" and "arousal" is dead on.

What I mean wisedom is changing one's perspective to serve the purpose, in this case, enjoy whatever we do. For some reason, I sometime feel one particular perspective such as "I ain't gonna be top of the world" is such a scientific (or whatever) truth, anything else is "fales". So, even though switching the perspective is "wisedom", I can not find the way to swich from truth to false.

Like, they always say "everybody is beatiful in thier own way" but repeatedly studies come out that symmetry is the standard of beauty across the races. So, according to this scientific truth, I ain't beautiful, even to my own eyes. How I am supposed to change perspective. (and no, I am not christian nor intelligent design believer)

Joe I met at Dust Devil craked me up, though. Upon hearing my rant about "happiness, perspective, life and everything" he said "I thought Japanese have already all figured that out!" Funny or what? ;)

I can not find the way to swich from truth to false?

How am I supposed to change perspective?

I believe (based on many years of working with top-tier racing teams), that there are tiers of ability:

-- beginner (struggle to do the basic tasks)

-- mechanic (can do the tasks competently)

-- proficient (can weave the tasks into a big-picture strategy)

-- competitor (can build a strategy that leverages competitive strengths)

-- winner (can leverage strengths into victory)

I *totally* believe that the difference between "competitor" and "winner" is 100% mental. The physical skill differences between the top 10 at a major competition are negligible... the difference is that *one* of those people had such a clear and comfortable mental image of himself/herself prevailing, to the exclusion of every other thought, that there really was no other possible outcome.

In most things, people have a comfort zone. I can "picture myself" doing well in class at an area match. I cannot picture myself winning a nationals. And, as trite as it sounds, I will *never* be able to do better than I can "picture myself" doing. If I find myself doing more poorly than I "should", I will somehow subconsciously shoot just well enough to get myself back within my "comfort zone". If I find myself winning a match, I will somehow make just enough subconscious mistakes to drop back to "where I belong". This is a *very* common phenomenon in sports. And, the key is to work on changing "your comfort zone", so that you are so comfortable with the idea of excelling, your subconscious mind does what it needs to to get you there.

Why does Robbie win so many majors? IMHO, there are other people with every bit as much physical skill as him... but he *knows* that he can win it, the mental image of him winning is well within his "comfort zone". And, as an aside... I suspect that the image of TGO winning is also in *other* people's "comfort zone", which subconsciously affects *their* chances.

There are some noteworthy examples of this in sports. One that is near to me, is in the 1983 America's Cup (sailing). For those who don't know the history, the America's cup is a "match race", two boats, one from the "defending" country, and one from a "challenging" country. Whichever boat wins it, gets to be the defender until they lose it. The US had held it continuously - they were never defeated - from the very first one (1851) until 1983 (132 years), and had pretty much dominated all that time.

Australia challenged for the America's Cup several times, starting in the 1960s. Every time they did it, they sailed *brilliantly* in all the challenger elimination series, defeating all the other countries and winning the right to be the "challenger" and sail against the US. But in the actual match, they sailed "stupid", and made lots of mistakes, and lost, every time.

In 1981, a team asked a sports psychologist to work with them, and fairly rapidly he prescribed a solution... in his opinion, the competitors had it firmly cemented in their subconscious minds that the Americans were unbeatable... so every time they found themselves in front of the American boat, they started making subconscious mistakes, and kept doing so until they were behind the American boat... "where they belonged".

So, his solution was to have the team hire another crew as training partners, and they painted up their spare boat to look just like the American boat, and for months and months, in *every* one of their practice sessions, they had "the American boat" follow them around... behind them. It totally cemented in their minds how "comfortable" they were being in front of the American boat. they credit that *one* thing as being the single biggest factor that led to their victory - the first team *ever* to defeat the Americans in America's Cup racing - in 1983.

So.... learn to "picture yourself" performing with excellence. Make "excellence" be well-inside your "comfort zone". When you have it in your head, you'll find it on the range, too.

Bruce

Edited by bgary