Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Pre-Travel

Fo0

What are your thoughts on pre travel of the trigger? Is it a good idea to remove as much as possible? I finished putting a BOLO disconnector in a Tanfoglio and am wondering if I should take more material off to create more pre travel or if this is fine / safe? Thanks

What are your thoughts on pre travel of the trigger? Is it a good idea to remove as much as possible? I finished putting a BOLO disconnector in a Tanfoglio and am wondering if I should take more material off to create more pre travel or if this is fine / safe? Thanks

As long as the break is crisp it seems fine. If you train with it enough you'll get used to it. It may surprise you a bit in the beginning but nothing a little training can't fix

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

Too little pre travel could (1) prevent reliable re-set if things get dirty and (2) may allow hammer to fall from half cock which I am still hearing different opinions if that will get you in trouble with a safety check at a major match.

3 hours ago, vgdvc said:

may allow hammer to fall from half cock which I am still hearing different opinions if that will get you in trouble with a safety check at a major match.

I will absolutely not pass inspection, and you will not be permitted to use that gun in the competition.  There is ZERO tolerance with safety issues.  BTW, they are not gentle about pulling the trigger during testing.  If you have already shot a stage, they will run your rounds over the chrono through that gun.  If you have a backup that uses the same ammo, they probably will not chrono that gun if the RM declares it is substantially the same as the disallowed gun and allows the switch.

to little pre-travel, for safety and reliability its not enough. pre-travel has very little to do with how fast you can shoot, a short defined reset is number one followed very closely to a clean break and weight is last in my opinion. 

this is how my trigger is setup on my 2011 open gun. Its actually setup with a little less pre-travel than I normally run for uspsa and the trigger is a bit lighter also at 1lb 9oz but the last match of the year for me was a falling steel match where i didnt have to draw from a holster or run around. usually i like my trigger 2 1/4 - 2 1/2lbs for uspsa.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

I will absolutely not pass inspection, and you will not be permitted to use that gun in the competition.  There is ZERO tolerance with safety issues.  

This is good to hear. There are several Open and Limited M&GM shooters who I have tried their triggers at a safe table with NO discernable pre travel. When asked " does it drop from half cock?" I get " Oh my God, you didn't try that did u? It will ruin my trigger job" They proceed to say it is not the primary safety so no need to have it checked. They all shoot major matches. I am curious how they get away with it.

1 hour ago, Fo0 said:

no problems with catching half cock

It may catch at half cock but the real test is once it's there and the trigger is pulled on with substantial pressure will it drop. It may be fine as it is but I believe that's how it is tested for full function.

21 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

It may catch at half cock but the real test is once it's there and the trigger is pulled on with substantial pressure will it drop. It may be fine as it is but I believe that's how it is tested for full function.

it appears EAA do not have captive half-cock notches