Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mute Fiber Sights?

lamelogin

Greetings, I think this may be my first post? 

I finished my 1st year with IDPA and USPSA (ie:  still a newb).  I was interested in updating my white 3dot sights to something of the fiber optic flavor.  After lots of using the search button, I see most prefer to use a black rear with a fiber front.  I don't think I'm ready for a black rear yet as I still like to line up the 3 dots, so here is my question:   can I mute or dull fiber rear sights?  maybe with paint or a sharpie?    In other words, I still want 3 dots for now, I just want the rear to not stand out as much as the fiber front.

Or maybe a better option would be to keep the old non-working glock nightsights in the rear and just buy a fiber optic front post?   What make/model fiber front sight would work with a dead Glock Night rear sight?

Pistol:  G35 Gen4

New Fiber Sight Set:  Dawson Fiber front and back (Model:  310-010)

New Front Fiber Sight:  ??

If you are comfortable with a three dot set up look at the Dawson Precision fiber optic front AND rear. It is a red front with a contrasting green in the rear. They offer fixed or adjustable. I have never talked to anyone who didn't like them. Black or fiber optic rear is a personal choice, shooting is very individual, don't be swayed by the crowd. At the end of the day, sights are not that expensive when compared to the other costs of the sport. Change them if you don't like them.

Put the FO on frt and Rear

When you want to try a black rear there are options for black rod, just not light gathering 

or find a broom with a piece that's the right size for your sight .  YES I have done that!

Still have the broom in the reloading area but the sight has since been sold!

Another vote for the Dawson sights. I switched pretty quickly after beginning to the all black rear sight sight. Was also nervous about not having the rear dots to line up, but it really didn't impact like I thought it would. Might be worth the fiber front and rear sight as fibers are cheap and easy to replace if you want to use a sharpie as mentioned to black out.

I had a 1911 with the FO rear.  I usually shoot black rears.  I was able to dim the rears to the point where I didn't even notice that it wasn't a black rear.  I never replaced the sight and shot a ton of rounds with it that way.  

That being said, I'd probably just cannon ball in to learning to shoot with a black rear sight and not worry about lining up the dots... Its a lot faster with less visual confusion than your current method of shooting.

• 4 weeks later...