Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major pistol vs heavy pistol powder

Specialneeds

Anyone run the heavy pistol?

A while back someone posted that the 9x23 case held ~2gr more charge than the 38supercomp when comparing starline brass.

Was curious about potentially using 147gr and heavy pistol in a 9x23 brass.

Guidance please? Was curious if the heavy pistol or aa9 similar powder would provide good velocity and ample gas.

Appreciated.

It's really doubtful any case will allow enough powder to work the comp properly with a 147 grain bullet. I've loaded Dillon 9x25 for years but I doubt even it would work the comp with a 147gr bullet. 14 grains of N110 and a 124 JHP work well. AA9 uses about the same load. My preferred load is 115 JHP (38 sup and 8.9 silhouette).

Why do you want to use 147 for open?

JimF has spoken what I thought would be correct, BUT back a while we had

quite a few people chime in that they use 147's successfully - as JimF said,

it doesn't make sense to me (light bullets and large amounts of powder 

should make more gas), but seems some people do like the heavier bullets

even in comped guns ???

You'll probably hear from some soon - meantime, you might want to use

SEARCH and see if you can find anything about 147 gr OPEN loads.    :)  

Been playing around with loads a bit lately---goal was to come up with a minor load that would be soft and light and still work the comp

on our 9 major open guns without making any changes to the guns.

Getting close to that goal with a 124 and a fair bit of Shooters World 037.02--

But in the process I loaded some 147's with VV N105.      Currently at 155 pf  running 6.5 N105 under a RMR 147 plated at 1.165 OAL

S-O-F-T, starting to work the comp. Gun does not feel sluggish.    Going up to 7+ and see what happens.

Interesting that VV load data publishes a major PF load.   It's under the 9x21 data, but OAL is 1.160.       147 bullet, N105 powder 167 pf.

It's the only published bullet/powder combo that makes major that I am aware of.  Not +P or +P+----standard pressure. Standard for 

9x21 is 34,080.      9x19 is actually higher at 35,000.

14 hours ago, open17 said:

Interesting that VV load data publishes a major PF load.   It's under the 9x21 data, but OAL is 1.160.       147 bullet, N105 powder 167 pf.

It's the only published bullet/powder combo that makes major that I am aware of.  Not +P or +P+----standard pressure. Standard for 

9x21 is 34,080.      9x19 is actually higher at 35,000.

Im pretty sure in their 9 x 21 data they also have a 115g load that hits major. 9.4 I think. Also a 123g making @ 164.5. Both were with 3N38 if I remember correctly. 

23 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

The 9mm major ammo Atlanta Arms sells is 147gr, FWIW. Don't know anything about it other than that though. I like the faster cycling of 115gr.

I shot these a little bit (no chrono) and they felt very weird. Slow and odd feeling

I used to shoot 160gr 9major with autocomp out of a czechmate. It ran pretty decent. Though.. i never tried to run a 115 at warpspeed.

Thought that a 147 will give more boiler room for powder. Powder = gas. After a thread before, I was asking about compensators. It seemed general agreement that gas made comps work, not pressure.

So.. an awful slow powder with near max case fill ought give plenty gas, yes? However.. in same light - a medium powder at similar max fill with a light bullet should do the same?

Regardless, when posting my idea was a heavier bullet would make the gas expand more due to a greater resistance of expansion.

The czechmate did not run until it was getting pushed. Using that orange box doppler radar.. on an 85* day, was getting enough fps for 182pf pretty easy. No odd swells or primer flow.

Based on that.. my silly/bad idea was slightly lighter bullet and twice the powder of a much slower burn rate. *shrug*