Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Case Lube

philipsinewe

I run mine through corn cob media. Not taking any chances of the lube fouling up my barrel or not having a primer go off. 30 mins in the tumbler is worth my time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 1/14/2020 at 4:13 PM, Ssanders224 said:

My issue is simply that anyone (much less a smith) would suggest that WD40 on ammo is a good solution to an improperly built/tuned gun. 

That's ridiculous, and if I ever heard a "gunsmith" say "Oh your Limited gun wont extract? You just need some oil on your ammo!" they would instantly lose any credibility with me. 

An Edge that is built & tuned even near correct, paired with good ammo doesn't need oily ammo to function. 

Alas, my Edge was not built correctly (I only tensioned the extractor correctly - the timing sucks), in my country there is nobody to tune it, and sending it abroad to get it tuned up is too much of a pain and a huge expense. He suggested this as a way to get it to work in view of the situation/context. As I said, it seems to have helped hugely. Also, Hornady One-Shot is not available here.

Living abroad renders the STI warranty irrelevant. That's a sad fact of life.

Edited by Cliveb

I have used walnut and paint thinner in a tumbler, that was one time, then when the gun started to jam, I had to put what I had, gun oil, on a rag and wipe every one before I loaded it into the magazine.

I use dillon case lube (DCL) and hornady one shot. I don't take it off and it works.  when I tried to take it off, the wrong way, my gun jammed.  FYI

10 hours ago, Pinecone said:

BTW, for tumbling loaded rounds you can use the large grain size corn cob sold as pet bedding.  No hole to get stuck in.

And CHEAP.  A few bucks for a bag that will last YEARS.

I gotta try the larger corn cob media. Where do you get it at? Brand?

41 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I gotta try the larger corn cob media. Where do you get it at? Brand?

Back before I started buying in bulk I could find it in the pet department at walmart.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Try using Peg75 lanolin. It's a synthetic water based lanolin. Wipes off easy and quick in corn media. Or leave it, It's not greasy. 

mix it 12:1 with 99% alcohol for pistol and 8:1 for rifle. Wipe or corn tumble it away when used on rifle brass. 

www.floridasunshineproducts.com

Edited by WaynePatrick