Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speeding Up Your Shot Call..how To?

Paladin

Great post XRE. My example only pertained to a specfic stage for the win, not overall level of performance for a match.

Consistency will win 99% of the time.

I with Jake on defining ability as you can do something 9 out of 10 times. When I referring to performing above your ability I'm referring doing something at a match or sporting event that you have never done in practice or another match. They happen all the time. Its next to impossible to accomplish but if your telling yourself you can't from the get go then its already over. I have done it so its easy for me to understand it. Maybe you can look at it as you had to ability to perform at that level within you but have yet to tap into it. Hard to say.

Great post XRE

All I'm saying is that you should push yourself in matches. Its common practice in sports. Thats how you can get to the next level. It happens everyday.

Flyin40

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its next to impossible to accomplish but if your telling yourself you can't from the get go then its already over.

Absolutely :)

I have done it so its easy for me to understand it.  Maybe you can look at it as you had to ability to perform at that level within you but have yet to tap into it.  Hard to say.

That's exactly what I was getting at - our abilities usually exceed our beliefs (and our beliefs limit our performances).

One could also make the argument that, if you never push your performance envelope during a match, you're missing a chance to improve a part of your maximum performance range - ability to maximally perform under pressure. This is what local matches are great for - and it's also good to try to set up some pressure situations in practice. If you don't do some of this, accessing the maximum performance you've obtained in practice will be much more difficult - doing so is, in effect, pushing the envelope during the match anyway.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to consciously try to expand your envelope at a big match - crash and burn time. Accessing the maximal performance is a skill, though, like any other - and you need to have practiced it before you need it to get to it reliably....

Got this from Rob's Forum.. <Mod, if inappropriate please delete..>

Rob's putting a different spin on this..or is he??

Question:

OK, you always talk about trigger pull... I am a good shot compared with most officers in the area, when I take my time! As soon as I speed up, I'm all over the target. Any suggestions?

Rob's Answer:

This is the most common problem associated with fast shooting and one that will never be mastered completely. The problem comes from simultaneously performing two tasks that should be done one before the other. In a nut shell, here is how it goes ... or should go ...

You pull the trigger far enough to cause the ignition process of the gun to be initiated. When the gun fires, it moves rearward as a reaction to the bullet being propelled forward. Your resistance to the gun's movement, because it is not on the centerline of force caused by the slide's resistance to movement and the line of the bore, causes the gun to rotate upwards. To quickly fire the next shot, you first must return the gun to alignment with the target. As gravity works too slowly and is of insufficient strength to cause this to happen fast enough, you must "pull" or "push" the gun back down. What actually keys this is another lesson. When the gun is again aligned, you start the whole sequence again.

The problem happens when you compress the returning of the gun into the firing of the gun. If the bullet has not yet left the barrel when you push, the shot can go anywhere. If you pull the trigger and push or pull to control recoil at the same time, the shot can go anywhere. Generally these shots are low and right for a right-handed shooter. Jerking the trigger is really not the problem, as long as the accuracy requirement can be met with a sudden trigger pull action. On most close shots on big targets this is O.K.

What has to be done is completely separating the returning of the gun to alignment from the firing of the gun. It is that simple, but not easy. To shoot really fast, you develop very quick reactions and timed actions to combat flip. It takes many thousands of rounds to even begin to get this programmed to happen automatically.

Now the problem is identified. To overcome a problem in this area requires you to develop timing, causing a series of events to occur initiated by a single incident, in this case the pulling of the trigger. This is where your training and practice comes in. If you are practicing the right things and fixing the problems, you will see improvement. I feel this issue significant enough that its study is the basis for my general shooting skills development.

Quit worrying about jerking the trigger and focusing on the front sight. That will not help you beat this problem by itself. You have to reprogram your computer. Good luck! Rob :huh:

Ok

So first to Paladin - sorry for screwing up your thread. Hopefully somewhere in all the posts you've gleened the info you were looking for.

I feel somewhat obligated to address this "pushing" topic - specifically because I sense a little hostility betwixed Jake and myself all over two primary things. The first is frankly, a difference of opinion - which is ok I might add. Second over verbage, vocabulary, and semantics.

Dave and Flyin - you both are good compliments to the conversation because I think all 4 of us are dancing around the same camp fire.

So for the sake of clarification I'll open this up by saying that it is exceptionally tough to win any kind of significant match if you are 100% comfortable. So, for the sake of similarity, if we look at an El Pres I am 100% comfortable shooting a 5.5-6 second El Pres. By 100% comfortable I am saying that there is no question I can do it, no question that I feel like I can shoot all A's, no question that the draw is going to be good and the reload will be solid. If given that amount of time as a par time there are no concerns.

I don't, can't, and won't shoot a stage at a match in that phase. Frankly, it's because that won't win the match. Consistently it won't win a match.

The statement was made that if you can't consistently do something 10 times, or 20, or 100 times in a row then it doesn't count. This is fundamentally where I think the disagreement stems from because IMO it doesn't matter. That is to say that certainly it matters that YOU know you can do it - so in confidence it matters - but outside of that it doesn't mean anything to me. Because the only thing that matters to me is what I can do IN THE MATCH. There is a difference -

Flyin' 40 nailed it - competition is different. If it isn't for any one individual then they are an anamoly and they should be winning every damn thing they do. When it all nets out, it doesn't matter that I can shoot 10 El Presidente's in 5 seconds in a row. What matters is that I can shoot 1 in 4.5 seconds (or whatever). It doesn't matter that I can groove a sub one second draw at 25 yards 10 times in a row. It matters if I can execute 1 in 1 second come match day.

And I don't believe any of us, or at least most of us, are casually making our way through courses of fire. I don't believe that if we relax completely that we'll over index on performance. I don't believe that most folks shoot in practice they way they shoot in club matches and I don't believe most people shoot club matches the same way they shoot major matches.

My goal is to shoot every major match as best I can. At my peak performance - always. That involves stepping outside of my comfort zone - but it involves being comfortable outside of my comfort zone. A contradiction? perhaps - but that is what it boils down to. I don't believe that Tiger isn't "pushing" his ability at times on the golf course - but he's comfortable doing it because he has confidence. I don't believe he could replicate that shot at the Masters on the 16th green but maybe once or twice out of 100 tries - but he did it on game day. I don't believe that Rob Leatham could shoot the stages he shot the way he shot them on the last day of the nationals as well as he did 10 times in a row. But it doesn't really matter does it? He shot them the way he needed to the one day, the one time he needed to.

Nationals are won and lost by mistakes - we all know that. I lost nationals in 1994 by 23 points. On one stage I had a miss/no shoot. On one stage I had a 1 second jam. Two measly, little, mistakes/misshaps and I went from winning to losing. Poof - just like that. But it was insuring that my performance was as close to peak as possible that inevitably enabled me to be there in the first place. And had I shot a more comfortable pace, had I backed off a bit I probably would have never had that miss/no-shoot and I probably would have lost the nationals by well over 23 points. I know - because I spent the next several years trying to back off and find that balance - it never worked. Many top 10's - Many outside of the top 10. None of them were performances I was proud of.

This post is not meant to be nor do I hope it is disrespectful to anyone. Jake - I apologize if I came off as aggressive towards your post. Everyone seems so sensitive these days - myself included. I think we see the world differently - you are passionate because it has gotten you to where you are today - I am passionate because I know where I was, I know where I am, and I know that my last 2 or 3 major match performances have been about as good as I could hope for. I wasn't shooting at my most comfortable pace - but I was very comfortable going into that zone and by virtue of that it all worked out.

Was I "pushing"? Hell - I don't know. I doubt highly that the term "pushing" as it relates to shooting has the same definition amongst 90% of the people in this forum. I do know this, performance at a peak level requires stepping out and I believe this is true in any athletic event. That "stepping out" - however you want to define it - is the key to match performance. It is, to me, the destination of a journey that thus far continues to be fun.

Now that my damn fingers are tired from typing so much, and I'm thinking none of this makes any sense to anyone but probably me - I'm just going to post and let it flow.

J

Dave and Flyin - you both are good compliments to the conversation because I think all 4 of us are dancing around the same camp fire.

Sort of what I was getting at... :) Just not very well, maybe...

So for the sake of clarification I'll open this up by saying that it is exceptionally tough to win any kind of significant match if you are 100% comfortable.

Agreed - you need a particular level of "stimulation" to bring out the best performance you have. Everyone has to find the level that works for them and figure out how to get there and stay there consistently when they need it in order to have a consistent level of performance...

My goal is to shoot every major match as best I can. At my peak performance - always. That involves stepping outside of my comfort zone - but it involves being comfortable outside of my comfort zone. A contradiction?

No... Sounds like what you're saying is that you find your best performances when you're in that 90-100% maximal performance range, and because you know and recognize that you need that level of stimulation to achieve that performance (or that you're going to be that stimulated to begin with), you welcome it and seek to work in that zone. No problemo :)

I don't believe that Tiger isn't "pushing" his ability at times on the golf course - but he's comfortable doing it because he has confidence.

Tiger's a great example of someone who plays in all three levels (optimal, maximal, peak) frequently. Watch him when he's in trouble, not when he's playing like it's easy. You'll see some neat stuff. You can also watch him sabotage himself by his attitude about his playing. Interesting... You can *see* the peak zone on a performer's face when they're there. When he's grinding hard, and making clutch shots - you've got a maximal performance. When he's coming from 8 strokes back to win, and he's making immaculate, incredible, super-human shots, and looks like he's doing absolutely everything exactly as planned - definitely peak. Tiger's best when he's down, and he's got someone to play against... kinda like TGO. Interesting that you picked those two for your analogy :)

I don't believe he could replicate that shot at the Masters on the 16th green but maybe once or twice out of 100 tries - but he did it on game day. I don't believe that Rob Leatham could shoot the stages he shot the way he shot them on the last day of the nationals as well as he did 10 times in a row.

I'd go so far as to say that, without that level of pressure at that point in time, neither athlete coule probably have executed in quite that fashion.... It's why I like to play golf with a little game going on (say, a $1 nassau, or quarter skins, or something). Helps me in shooting, too, I think, to have some friendly competition and pressure, even in practice.

I don't believe that Tiger isn't "pushing" his ability at times on the golf course - but he's comfortable doing it because he has confidence.

Tiger's a great example of someone who plays in all three levels (optimal, maximal, peak) frequently. Watch him when he's in trouble, not when he's playing like it's easy. You'll see some neat stuff. You can also watch him sabotage himself by his attitude about his playing. Interesting... You can *see* the peak zone on a performer's face when they're there. When he's grinding hard, and making clutch shots - you've got a maximal performance. When he's coming from 8 strokes back to win, and he's making immaculate, incredible, super-human shots, and looks like he's doing absolutely everything exactly as planned - definitely peak. Tiger's best when he's down, and he's got someone to play against... kinda like TGO. Interesting that you picked those two for your analogy :)

Well, I know one of them pretty well and spent a good deal of time with him . . .

And the other - I watch everything he does. I believe Tiger is the best competitor on earth. Honestly, I doubt he's that much better a golfer - Phil, Ernie, Vijay, etc. etc. - they can all do the same things. Tiger is a competitor. I watch him when he's down, I watch him when he's up. I watch everything he does because I do believe he is without question the best competitor the public has ever been exposed to. If one of us could learn to be the competitor he is, then that individual would become one of the most dominant IPSC shooters of all time - just like The other guy I mentioned.

Edited by shred

And Dave . . . I throw a little extra (like a dollar or two) whenever I can in any situation. It changes the dynamic, the reason for being there. It places more emphasis on performance to me.

Maybe that's where the disconnect is huh? Guys like you and I are motivated more by competition? I know I am.

Yep, a dollar or two a hole leads to a better score for me. Just like a dollar a rack leads to more 9 ball runs, and a dollar a stage leads to a better match.

I'd rather it feel like everything counts, like every stage is the last stage for a match win. If that's where I'm at, I inevitably shoot the best match of my life.

J

Man this turned into a great thread (high jacked, sorry Paladin). That was some great stuff guys. You guy don't probably realize how invauable threads like these are to newer shooters like me. Take a bow. :D:D

People in general stick to things that work for them. I know I do. If its been successful in the past why change it. Its really hard sometimes to look at different things without bias especially when those things have made you successful in the past. That in itself can be very detrimental to improvement. It can really slow progress. Regardless of what level your at keep an open mind. You can learn from anyone.

Flyin40

Its next to impossible to accomplish but if your telling yourself you can't from the get go then its already over.

Absolutely :)

I have done it so its easy for me to understand it.  Maybe you can look at it as you had to ability to perform at that level within you but have yet to tap into it.  Hard to say.

That's exactly what I was getting at - our abilities usually exceed our beliefs (and our beliefs limit our performances).

One could also make the argument that, if you never push your performance envelope during a match, you're missing a chance to improve a part of your maximum performance range - ability to maximally perform under pressure. This is what local matches are great for - and it's also good to try to set up some pressure situations in practice. If you don't do some of this, accessing the maximum performance you've obtained in practice will be much more difficult - doing so is, in effect, pushing the envelope during the match anyway.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to consciously try to expand your envelope at a big match - crash and burn time. Accessing the maximal performance is a skill, though, like any other - and you need to have practiced it before you need it to get to it reliably....

I reread this post again. What a good post. This in much more in line with what I'm saying. We just looked at the same thing different ways.

Let me add something about the large matches. I guess I view things differently here. If your the guy everyone is gunning for I agree 100%. Shoot a mistake free, smooth match within your abitilites. This will get you the win most of the time. What if your the other guy.

Thats how heros and legends are born. The guy that was willing to push it or whatever you want to call it.

The idea is in practice is to simulate a match but that can't be done. You can come close but very rarely can you get yourself to that level in practice. Thats why matches are so invaulable to take yourself to the next level. The additional adrenaline, anxiety if funneled correctly can result in faster times than you have ever shot in a match or practice.

What a great forum

Flyin40

I have just learned how to "push myself" as I used to avoid it at all costs and shoot too relaxed.

For me, it's not so much a push as it is a rise in aggression.

Our local match usually has 2 short field courses, 1 huge field course, a speed shoot and a classifier. Lately I have been giving some ground on the short ones and then crushing the big one.

This is primarily because it takes a couple of stages to get the MD hat off and the GM hat on. :)

(Also, the bigger field courses always reward superior technique (PRACTICE) more so than short ones.)

I also know that I need to crush that big stage to get my expected result of comfortably winning the local match. So it happens. It's not LIKE ME to not win local matches, so my subconscious makes damn sure I do. (Bassham)

After reading Saul's last book (thinking practical shooting) I realized that I had allowed relaxation to become sluggishness. He suggests raising the arousal level and heart rate prior to shooting and it really works. (I like jumping jacks...my A5 squadmates got to see my wife mocking me for them :))

Anyway, back to the push...

I'm not sure that comfort zone (as I understand it) is the right term. I think of comfort zone as your expected performance, guided by past experience. This is difficult to escape, especially on match day, but it is done easily IF YOU REMOVE EMOTION FROM YOUR SHOOTING.

(Inner Game of Tennis)

There's a point in here, amidst the mild insomnia and cinnamon coffee, but indulge me a summary:

Eric and Rob win because they don't know how to lose. Their self-image will not allow it. Their subconscious does the pushing and they remain devoid of trying.

A conscious push becomes increased effort and will go well if you are "hot" that day, and very badly if your desire exceeds your preparation.

(I can think of one top shooter that pushes hard when he is trailing, sometimes with fantastic results and sometimes with some trouble. It's clear he doesn't really care how he does if he doesn't win.)

The subconscious push is the real deal and comes from an auto-correcting self image.

SA

Edited by Steve Anderson

Dave and I were trading some PM's on this and two things occur to me.

First, we are all trying to define something that is tough if not impossible to define. And it extends outside the scope of concious thought. While it is great to try and figure out how to maximize our performance through thoughts, feelings etc. etc. it is impossible to "quantify" all of that once the buzzer goes off. That, to me, is the beauty of shooting. I spew all this crap in this forum about thoughts and ideas on how to get better - once the beep sounds I don't have to worry about any of it. I just get to go shoot things and let myself do what I know I know how to do.

Second, the definition of terms causes so much grief. So for SA it's "rise in aggression" I was talking about being outside of the comfort zone - that doesn't work for Steve. We could likely go back and forth for the next two weeks on this subject and when we got to the end we'd shake hands and say "damn, you mean 'rise in aggression' and 'comfort zone' mean the same thing, we just each define them differently, and that all this time we've been saying the exact same thing . . .??" :P

J

We're all in the same circle, anyway :)

I find a subtle difference between what is traditionally called "pushing" (the conscious desire to exceed, being outside the comfort zone) and Steve's "rise in agression", which sounds like what I've been suffering from - a lack of appropriate stimulation (ie, the "couch potato" zone). They're both sides of the stress/arousal curve (see page 68 in Saul's new book, or page 60 in Bassham's book, or pages 119-121 in the Kubistant book I recommend). Too little arousal, and you are unenergized. Too much, and you go into crash and burn land.

How we experience things between individuals is so subjective, it's bound to cause this kind of discussion, where we all dance around similar points, thinking we're talking about completely different things. Slightly different images and words work for each of us :) It would help if we could agree on a set of terms that worked for these things - but even those wouldn't work for someone :)

I just finished Saul's new one, as well. Interesting stuff - wish I'd had it when I started this game, as it would've saved me a lot of time :) Bassham's book has a lot of good stuff in it, too.

Man, I love this place :)

Steve,

Its so funny you brought that up. I walked away from Area 5 talking with other shooters about match. The biggest thing about that match was I attacked every stage. I didn't "try" to shoot a 15 seconds stage in 10 secs, that would be "trying" to shoot above my ablility, I just attacked it mentally and physically.

I walked away with the biggest boost in confidence. I even should have had a stage win easily and pretty close on a couple others. I have never practiced shooting on the move and it cost me. I missed close targets, I mean some 10ft away and less. :blink::blink:

If you remember the stage at C-ville last Sat., everyone was shooting it the same way. I purposely shot if differently to see how my time was compared to the way you guys shot it. I attacked that stage like I did at Area 5, I had 4 make up shots from attacking that stage. I was too agressive, it so easy to do. I still shot the stage well and learned what I needed from that stage.

Theres such a fine line between trying, pushing being aggressive. I little to much and you crash and burn.

Flyin40

I've noticed that I do have "gears" I can shift into if needed. The best example is when I was doing a lot of plate rack practice.. then I could run the rack consistently in 2.6-2.7 or so. If I cranked it up a notch, I could shoot it in 2.3-2.4, but about 10-20% of the runs I'd have missed plates. Would I run that speed in a match? Not all day, but if you're behind in man-on-man steel, it's where you go.

Somebody told me that years ago it was cool shooting with TGO because every now and then he'd get behind and then shift into another gear and blow past everybody. He now thinks TGO is probably in that top-gear most of the time :)

I may be screwing up the newer shooters with this, so y'all should probably just skip this next paragraph, but..

I started noticing on fast steel challenge stages that I would call shots somewhat after I'd fired them.  Say Roundabout.. in the 2.4 second zone off about a 1.2 draw, I know I've hit all the plates, but I don't actually  know-for-sure I've hit #3 (in a 1-2-3-4-S order) until about the time I'm tapping #4 and going for the stop plate.  Likewise for #2. My suspicion is that's around when the ding gets through my brain.  Anybody else notice this?  It only happens for me on very fast stages I've practiced a lot, and it bothered me until I learned I had to let go and just let myself shoot (which, of course I didn't do at the SC on Roundabout, 'cause I didn't trust myself to do in the big match what I'd done dozens of times in practice.. :blink: )

Newbies can join back in now.

After a while you should become automatic in shot-calling such that a miss or poor shot is made up automatically.  That'll take some practice, but is totally worth it in the mass-o-targets situation.

Yup, I'm sort of there with you. When things are going well shooting steel, I see just a flash of front sight black on top of the white --- but I don't really know I've hit the plate until I'm on the next one. Or on the stop plate the sight's coming back down for the follow-up shot. I noticed this past weekend though, that when I pull the trigger on a plate without seeing the flash of front sight, I know there's something wrong before I get to the next plate ---- and I'm pulling the trigger there, while already swinging back to the first plate I missed. This usually results in two misses in a row --- I need to figure out how to reset my brain to allow the knowledge of the miss in, while focusing on the shot I'm currently making.....

Brian, can you comment/recall the error magnification happening to you or others?

Yes, it definitely happens when your pistol isn't tracking perfectly.

be

As a practical match-trick-"solution" - mentally divide a stage into two or more groups of targets. (Depending on the number of targets and their positioning.) Then program a "starting over" or a re-grouping at the beginning of each target group. The trick works well because what happens is usually just a mental re-grouping that doesn't require any noticeable time.

You could program the re-group for the difficult shots in the stage. Like T - 3 for the Speed Option (shot right to left). Or you could program a re-group for about the middle of a string, like the 4th plate on a plate rack.

be

I think there are two schools of thought on this, and they are commonly getting confused in the rhetoric. In the past year or so, since I have been focusing on accuracy, I have been able to get faster without pushing myself at all. When I push, by my definition, it causes less than satisfactory hits, also by my definition. The only way I can keep the speed, is to continue to practice accuracy. Because of this, I don't fare well on the close-in stages, but do well when there is a little distance involved. This is probably where I should practice close targets on the move using front sight index to guide me. I used to get high points, with slower speed, now I get the same points at a faster speed.

The push for me is to get the gun in position, get me in position, timing. I am even getting better at running on a long COF, but the shooting is usually where I demand a performance from myself, and when I don't get the hits I wanted, even if I do well on the stage, I take note of it, and feel like I don't deserve the score I got. I have tried to keep this to myself, since it looks petty that I thought a C or D was unacceptable when someone else had a M.

I believe if you make accurate shots until they are on autopilot, they will get so easy the speed will improve. Someone said speed is a by-product. The best feeling I get after a stage is when I feel like I have left my surroundings except shooting the gun through what I have rehearsed, then suddenly the shooting is over, and you hear the world around you again, and the scoresheet is nearly all Alpha's, and the time is less than you thought.

This topic is very wide, and I sort of get immersed in it to the point that I daydream about shooting stages, and lone targets in slow motion. So to summarize, speeding up shot calling for me is not voluntary, but involuntary, through practice leading up to a match, or group of matches. Days after the match, I can still shoot like I have practiced, but then weeks go by with no practice, and it gets more difficult.

The second school of thought is the push, or out of control practice approach, of which I simply cannot subscribe on any level. It is so foreign to me that I cannot even understand how it would apply to me. Must be that I want to build on skill, instead of just see what I can get away with. I don't feel like I hold anything back in reserve, BTW, like many of this theory would think.

This post was long, and I nearly go lost in it before bolding some lines, any feedback?

Edited by fomeister

You could program the re-group for the difficult shots in the stage. Like T - 3 for the Speed Option (shot right to left). Or you could program a re-group for about the middle of a string, like the 4th plate on a plate rack.

be

The regroup for me in a field course comes in the form of walking through and saying something like "when I get here, I have to make sure I force patience on that target and follow through before moving rapidly to that port". It is almost a landmark or transitional item in breaking down the necessary steps.

On the plate rack, or on some SC stages, could this also be used to avoid the cadence that gets in your head from time to time? I am assuming this takes very little to no time if you work it out before the beep.

Brian spent years trying to teach me the re-group. I remember us saying "find yourself" between boxed at matches.

Recently though I've adjusted to just shooting the targets in front of me.

Shooting is so uncomplicated. In other words, it is so simple. Why I spent years overcomplicating it I'll never know - but understanding that I simply need to step up, over achieve, and just do what I know how to do has resulted in some pretty decent matches.

Come to find out I don't need to "find myself" during a stage, I need to do it before the stage. The rest just works out.

J

Formeister,

Where did you get the push is the out of control practice approach???

If you don't mind explain your version of this practice approach. How you view it happens.

Just curious because I trained this way, always have, way before I picked up a pistol.

Flyin40