Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 407co

MaddHatter

• 3 weeks later...

I debated it, but at the time there were no pics of it and no dealer nearby, went 407c, 2moa dot it's fine.

Seeing the CO it appears I would've liked it just fine since the small ring does what I thought it would and blooms into a largish dot. I don't think turning it down and using the circle would actually be useful for much.

• 2 months later...

I've been using one for a few months now.  I'm a fan but I don't think it's for everyone nor is it an "RMR KILLER!".  Up until now my preference has been for RMRs with 6.5moa dots and still is on carry/duty guns.  My CO guns have 5moa SROs.  I like bigger dots.  They're easier to see at lower brightness levels so I don't have to "bloom" the dot to make it bigger/easier to pickup.  I tried the 507C with the 2moa dot and 35moa circle, but I found the ring too busy and the 2-moa dot too small by itself.   I'm pretty spoiled by the SRO's large window, but the 407CO has a few advantages over the SRO and RMR.  The adjustment dials are more positive and I don't need to use an optic plate.  The glass is clearer than both, and the 8moa ring is clean even with my astigmatism.  The Trijicon dots are always a bit fuzzy to my eyes.  It also doesn't have as deep of a blue hue as the Trijjicon glass.  The blue hue is a notch filter that allows the dot to be brighter with less power, so while the Trijicons have great battery life, I change my batteries every 6 months so it's kind of a moot point.  I only use Duracell 2032 batteries in my optics.  They've proven to be more robust in my slide mounted optics than Energizer or Sanyo 2032s.  The auto-adjust feature on the Holosuns is too stingy and never bright enough for me so I just use the manually adjustable constant on mode.  The Trijicon's are also a bit too dim under auto mode and the SRO is borderline unusable.  Holosuns shake awake mode is pretty nice.  I'd probably disable it on a carry gun, but for a competition gun that sits in the safe I like it.  Just a light nudge with my finger and it comes on in under a second.  During matches I periodically look down into the holstered gun and the dot's always there.  In dry-fire and four matches I've always had a dot on presentation.  Video of its sensitivity below.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Hj1egJbAp/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Unlike the RMR, the bottom of the window is level with the rear of the housing, so the bottom 1/5 isn't blocked on the 407CO.  This gives me just a little more window to track the dot in recoil.  I also notice that I see a "ghost" image of the ring as the shot breaks, while with traditional dots, I just see a faint streak.  Here's a pic below illustrating what I mean.  As far as accuracy goes, the 8-moa ring is small enough to be inside the black of a B-8.  On a USPSA target, it's small enough to fit inside the upper A zone out to about 20 yards.  Below is a pic of it on a simulated 25y B8 target.  My best B8 drill with it so far is a 96 3X in 15.52 seconds at 25 yards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNweKs5uBD8&feature=youtu.be

You can't really see things clearly through the 8-moa ring.  The red ring  washes out objects in the center, so you can only make out details inside the ring if they're really far away and by that point they're too small to see anyway.  I just treat it like a giant dot.  However, since some light can pass through the hole, I don't find myself getting sucked into the dot on darker targets.  It's almost like my brain is subconsciously trying to look through the dot instead of at it, so it's easier to stay target focused.  Maybe that's why I find it so much clearer than solid dots.

Compared to the SRO, the advantages are the same except for the SRO having a top loading battery compartment and the bigger window.  But I've relegated the SRO to my backup gun.  The SRO's taller window is nice, but it's not really any wider.  The only time I ever really lose the dot is when coming into positions, so while I can find it slightly faster with the SRO, my body hasn't settled enough to make a solid hit anyways.  

I picked mine up during a Black Friday sale for $205 shipped, which is an absolute bargain.  I wish I'd gotten more.

IMG_4201.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

Nice write up

i got a question, in bright sun light with the Circle/dot turned up all the way, does it look like a Circle or will it flare up enough to look like a dot, I know I’m knit picking but I prefer a nice bright big dot that I can turn down for accuracy instead of a small dot that I can hopefully turn up enough to be useable