Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P 10 F Finding

1911vm

considered getting a P10f. went to the first store they head a black one . tried it felt great. tried  to drop the mag and it would not fall free. gun store employee tried no problem. i grabbed the gun and the same thing did not fall free. i have big hands and can reach mag button without changing my shooting grip much at all . so i tried again and loosened my grip and the mag drooped no problem.  So my grip on the gun was squeezing the frame enough that would not let the mag drop free.

second store had a FDE model . i tried to do the same and nothing worked (dropped )  perfectly. i took the mag out and tried to  squeeze the frame and it was definitely stiffer. 

am I the only one ?

If you can warp the frame with grip pressure, then you must have the grip strength of a gorilla.  Compared to a Glock, the CZ polymer blend is stiffer, deflecting less when I squeeze the magwell, and after stippling both colors,  the FDE polymer did seem slightly harder when working with it.  

I have this problem with the XD and 509 ambi-mag release button placement.  The right side of the button presses out against the base of my middle finger, so I end up just squeezing the button from both sides instead of pressing into the frame.  Since you mentioned that you have big hands, if your fingers are thick enough, could you be blocking the exit side of the mag release button with your middle finger?

Since it seems grip pressure related, also see if the flesh at the base of your palm is bulging out under the grip and contacting the magazine base pad.  This happens to me with Glock 19s and other shorter framed pistols.  The P-10F has a pretty long grip though, so this probably isn't very likely unless you have yeti hands.

Not sure on the gorilla lol but have been swinging a hammer for over 30 years. This also was the only gun they had in the store.  So I could not compare. The other store only had FDE. It definitely  not my palm below the grip. Possibly the mag release not sure.  But it did not happen with FDE.  

I think I am going to make another run at it. I might as well get one as I am going to need mags for the DWX any way.

I would suggest SLOWLY pushing mag release just far enough that the mag drops free of its own weight using a very light grip. This will confirm the mag is not binding. Next, Insert the mag and push release rapidly and hold it firmly to the extreme right and see if it binds. Then if it does you’ve found the issue. I would also experiment with light, firm and extra gorilla firm grips to see if the issue repeats under any of those conditions. It’s just a matter of eliminating possible variable one at a time.

I had a couple of P-10F's and the polymer is definitely lighter in the US made guns.

I had no mag drop issues, but I could easily bend the grip at the mag well with light squeeze pressure.

Did not fill me with great confidence!

2 hours ago, CGoodwin said:

I had a couple of P-10F's and the polymer is definitely lighter in the US made guns.

I had no mag drop issues, but I could easily bend the grip at the mag well with light squeeze pressure.

Did not fill me with great confidence!

All polymer guns exibit some flex at the magwell unless there's some type of metal insert to stiffen it.  Glock dustcovers are pretty floppy too.  Here's an extreme example of an FNX after sitting in the sun on a hot day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=21&v=mdTsFB1ejo8

I also have big hands and 20 years of rock climbing. I can force a SP-01 Phantom to do the same thing (warp so that mags don't drop free) but never tried it on a P10. On reloads, I consciously break my grip just a little to keep my hands loose so everything moves faster. This also prevents mags from binding. Like you said, if you're planning on a DWX anyway, might as well pick up a P10 to start stocking up on mags and you can work on your grip technique as well. You don't want to have a crushing grip when you're performing a reload.

I can't speak for the P09, but my P10F has had zero mag release issues for me but I don't have gorilla forearms (though I'm working on it). I can't attest to the P09, but the P10F is an amazing gun. So amazing I continually have to talk myself out of getting a second so I can have one setup for prod and one for CO, though I may break before the end of the year.