Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Below Walls

MiWiAu

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Projection of fault lines is not a thing except as outlined in the rules.

2.2.1.3 Fault Lines extending rearward (uprange) should be a minimum of 3 feet in length, and unless otherwise stated in the written stage briefing, are deemed to extend rearward to infinity.

that's the first time I've seen that rule. So if we leave off the rear fault line, does that mean I can run all the way back to the road behind the rest of the squad to shoot?

we occasionally do leave off the rear  fault line to save time and trouble, we just tell people not to do stupid sh!t. The advent of pcc has caused us to go back to putting a rear fault line on pretty much all stages.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

that's the first time I've seen that rule. So if we leave off the rear fault line, does that mean I can run all the way back to the road behind the rest of the squad to shoot?

we occasionally do leave off the rear  fault line to save time and trouble, we just tell people not to do stupid sh!t. The advent of pcc has caused us to go back to putting a rear fault line on pretty much all stages.

Its actually one of my favorite rules, our bays are medium gravel on top of very larger gravel on top of solid rock so staking stuff down is a major pain, we leave rear fault lines off almost by default, most of the time there is a reason to move to the front of the shooting area anyway, and most people like shorter shots. 

We also do not have the PCC problem because of range rules but open shooters are just about as bad 🙂 

1.1.6 is my other favorite ( the suck it up and learn to shoot part)

2 hours ago, broadside72 said:

Then in this case what is "within the fault lines" when there is no fault line at the wall to constrain said "within"?

Had it said "within the shooting area" there would be no (or fewer) questions

I agree the stage needs work but just saying there is no way to game it by going forward.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

When we are in a pinch we just put short pieces of fault line facing inwards on the ends of the rear pointing fault lines.

But yes in theory a shooter can go back as far as they want while observing all safety rules of course. I THINK I used this rule once. It was only like 5 steps back but it eliminated a few stops.

When I got my Range Officers card back in the early 80's (still have it), we were told by our instructor (don't remember name),

that Stages should not be an Athletic Event, Mission Impossible or so Physically Demanding that a shooter could get hurt.

Remember back in those days with had Cooper Tunnels.  I am now 70 and both the stages shown would be very difficult for

me to shoot.  So my question is "why make a low wall like those"?   The stages could have been set up with couple of Ports

just a little higher than the bottom of the walls and add a block so that both Ports had to be used.  The stages would have

been just as good and more fun to shoot and would have eliminated the fault line questions.   Just speaking from a Super

Senior view.......

When I got my Range Officers card back in the early 80's (still have it), we were told by our instructor (don't remember name),
that Stages should not be an Athletic Event, Mission Impossible or so Physically Demanding that a shooter could get hurt.
Remember back in those days with had Cooper Tunnels.  I am now 70 and both the stages shown would be very difficult for
me to shoot.  So my question is "why make a low wall like those"?   The stages could have been set up with couple of Ports
just a little higher than the bottom of the walls and add a block so that both Ports had to be used.  The stages would have
been just as good and more fun to shoot and would have eliminated the fault line questions.   Just speaking from a Super
Senior view.......

I’m in my upper 30’s and in almost the worst shape of my life. I just started shooting USPSA last year and tomorrow’s match will be my 7th match ever.

The club I started shooting at last year had fairly basic setups and no backwards movements in the matches I shot.

I started attending matches at a different club this spring, and the setups have been a lot more interesting.

Tomorrow (if the thunderstorms hold out) will be the first time, though, that I get to shoot from a low position in a match. Personally, I’m excited for the challenge, and glad it’s showing up, even if it’s only once in a great while. I don’t have the budget yet to shoot a lot of major matches, so my exposure to the more challenging match scenarios is pretty limited at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...