Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overall vs Division Finishing/Place

BiteTheBullet

17 minutes ago, BiteTheBullet said:

I shot a match this weekend and another person finished overall in the same division I shot but I beat him in division that is what I dont understand

So there was another division that beat both of you which skews the points that you are awarded in the overall results, but you can make up those points in the division. 

It comes down to stage points and stage wins. In your own division there are one set of stage winners and one set of competitors taking stage points from one another. In the overall results with a different pool of competitors, different people have overall stage wins and different people take stage points from one another. Thats how you can beat someone in your division and lose to them in the overall score.

This is a broad view for an explanation,  anything further we need to dive into math which im happy to do if you want.

Or maybe Practiscore messed up? 

I wouldnt usually jump to that one, but at yesterday’s club match I scored 110 points in 15.09 seconds with no penalties. That should give a HF of 7.2, but it give me 3.3. 

And HF is just a straight calculation, unaffected by other shooter’s scores. 

Is there a glitch in the code? I haven’t gone back and looked for other discrepancies, but it makes me wonder. Just a club match, so not a big deal. But at a bigger match...

BCC75B13-4AB7-4B0C-B2EA-AC96F902746F.jpeg

Edited by Garrett

9 minutes ago, Garrett said:

I wouldnt usually jump to that one, but at yesterday’s club match I scored 110 points in 15.09 seconds with no penalties. That should give a HF of 7.2, but it give me 3.3. 

Is there a glitch in the code? I haven’t gone back and looked for other discrepancies, but it makes me wonder. Just a club match, so not a big deal. But at a bigger match...

It looks like you may of had a few penalties on that stage... or 50 pts worth of penalties got added somehow.

Edited by ChuckS

55 minutes ago, Garrett said:

No penalties. 

Perhaps added by accident? Or someone doesn't like you? In any case, PS has been doing correct scoring for years. It is a little maddening that the website does not show procedural penalties. Just M, NMP and NS.

ETA you had 50 60 points go somewhere!

14 minutes ago, Garrett said:

What does the right hand part of this screen look like?

25 minutes ago, Garrett said:

With the competitors app you can open the results and see if there were penalties added.

2 hours ago, BiteTheBullet said:

I am good at math so yes please explain. I have never researched the math for scoring. It still kills me that someone can have 14 misses on a stage, shoot it really fast and finish high in scoring.

Ill get an example together. Its happened to me a couple times. After the first occurance i had to go through the math to keep myself from going mad.

1 minute ago, Smithcity said:

With the competitors app you can open the results and see if there were penalties added.

Ill get an example together. Its happened to me a couple times. After the first occurance i had to go through the math to keep myself from going mad.

Here is an old example of how the "flip-flop" occurs between division results and overall results.

flipflopexample.pdf

6 minutes ago, Smithcity said:

I keep forgetting about Competitor...

I posted an example that I got from USPSA (Bill N?) a while ago.

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

The only thing left is procedurals. Do you have access to the match file? If you do, look on the scoring page for that stage...

I looked on both the USPSA website results page and the app. It does not appear to have been uploaded to USPSA yet. 

But a procedural added in error would be a valid explanation. 

7 hours ago, BiteTheBullet said:

I am good at math so yes please explain. I have never researched the math for scoring. It still kills me that someone can have 14 misses on a stage, shoot it really fast and finish high in scoring.

Are you sure you're good at math? you can't have 14 misses and still finish high. You will get a zero score on any normal (32 rounds or less) stage.