Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Purchasing / Selling a firearm

What is the method of payment to purchase or sale a firearm? I have read on here that PayPal may not be accepted. I also know that certified checks take several days to actually clear a bank account to be available funds...so what’s the best way to protect both parties?

When I sell, they can pay any way they want, but I don't ship product until

the funds clear.

I've never bought anything.

If I buy at my local range, I exchange cash for product.

I ain't going to send money or product before I get mine, first.     :eatdrink:

It comes down to trust (but verify)

I’ve bought and sold a lot over the years... using just about every payment method.  PP is the most widely used, but if it’s not a friends / family gift then the recipient  gets a 3% hit, so they usually make the sender add it.

It doesn’t give the sender any coverage though, so that’s where you have to be confident in who you are dealing with

Aside from payment issues also remember you can get absolutely hosed on gun deals by ending up with a piece of junk. Even on a (trusted) site like here on Enos.

A friend of mine bought an open gun from a forum member that,”had been gone over by XXX gunsmith and runs perfect.” First time out parts started breaking and just wont run. Took it to a REAL gunsmith and it needs $1500 to make it right. Buyer asked seller what’s up and was told the gun was sold “as is” so it’s not his problem.

Buyer beware no matter where you buy used stuff online.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When I sell, they can pay any way they want, but I don't ship product until

the funds clear.

I've never bought anything.

If I buy at my local range, I exchange cash for product.

I ain't going to send money or product before I get mine, first.     :eatdrink:

Yes cash is best but only good if local. I am thinking of selling something and like you said with cashiers checks etc.., it takes probably a week or Tito clear. 

I wonder if there are any guaranteed instantly verifiable funds like through post office or UPS or?

Randy I've always used Postal Money Orders.  But, like Sarge said, it's buyer beware.  I went through a

similar situation with a DVC;  thankfully STI stood by their product and replaced it with a new pistol.

Other than that pistol I've never been screwed by a BE Forum Member and I have bought and sold

several items.  Getting back to Postal MO's, if lost or stolen they can be replaced.

• 4 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 7:38 AM, Sean_ht said:

For a transaction above $1k, I open an escrow. Saying that, I hesitate to purchase any firearm at or above that price range without inspect it first. 

I am interested in how you do this. In my other hobbies we also do a lot of buying / selling online with each other. Can you give me details of how you setup an escrow to cover your transaction?

Thanks

10 hours ago, robbiespratt said:

I am interested in how you do this. In my other hobbies we also do a lot of buying / selling online with each other. Can you give me details of how you setup an escrow to cover your transaction?

Thanks

Sent you PM. As I expressed in my PM, do NOT buy a used item online at that price range, unless you can find a gunsmith that you trust to inspect the item first.