Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hunting scopes on an AR

JD45

I'm kinda new to all things in AR rifles. But not hunting rifles or scopes. I've always used quality Leupold scopes on all of my rifles.

However, I notice from reading here, that high end $1,000-2,000 dollar scopes are talked about constantly.

This is my question: If I wanna put an old Leupold Vari-XII 2-7X on a AR-15 or AR-10, is there anything wrong with that?

It's not gonna be for Camp Perry,  just local stuff and for fun and maybe some hunting. Would it work for 3-gun?

Edited by JD45

No problem with the quality of the scopes as long as they are rated for recoil. 

It is preferred to have a true 1x magnification optic for fast engagement of close-up targets. That is why many use scopes that have true 1x at the low end. An alternative is to use a red dot in a 45 degree offset mount with your 2-7x or 3-9x etc. 

On 8/9/2019 at 2:01 AM, JD45 said:

It's gonna be for  local stuff and for fun and maybe some hunting. Would it work for 3-gun?

Should be fine for "local stuff", "fun" and "hunting", but you are going to lose

some time on close targets with the 2x end of the scope.

A nice 1x makes it a little faster to pick up close targets.    :)

But, I've been working with it - may not be a terrible idea - I have 

a 1 - 4x and been playing with starting on 2x for close work - every

once in a while, I do lose a little time trying to find the target on 2x

whereas I would be faster with the 1x.

3 minutes ago, JD45 said:

Thanks for the tips. I wish I could find an old 1-4X Leupold. those were tough scopes.

Check out tacswap for those old 1-4's. I have seen a few on there from time to time. Leupold scopes are tested to withstand .458 win mag recoil so their optics are solid it is just the lower magnification like others said will give you a wider FOV for up close stuff unless you put on offset irons.