Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proud Shooting Coach

reneet

The new lady that I introduced to the shooting sports back in April decided to start working with me on her shooting skills to ensure that she would requalify with ease this year. We started 5 weeks ago and worked about 1 hour each week. Her best score to date (she's been a police officer for 8 years) was a 103 out of possible 120 on the POST course. And from what I've heard that was from several of her fellow officers helping with a stray round. I believe 80% is required to qualify.

Her requalification was this past Monday... She wanted me to come watch so they gave her special permission to let me come to the range to observe. She had 2 horrible malfs toward the end of her 25 yard run - the panic set in. Once she came back up on the target, pulled one 1/2" off the black (-2 points) and lost count so didn't shoot all rounds (-2 more points). Everything else went pretty smoothly.

Her final score was 114 / 120! :D Her safety awareness is dramatically improved as well. :D :D I am so very proud of her. She has been getting all kinds of compliments from the department range staff and fellow officers for her dramatic improvement. Next she's got her sights set on the annual department championship. She wants to do well - I told her she can win the whole thing.

Edited by reneet

I hope she wins the department championship, it might inspire some of her fellow officers to pratice more. Next thing you know a majority of cops will be decent shooters, instead of a minority of them.

Congrats to you and her. Keep up the great work!

• 1 year later...

That time of year again. I'm so proud of her.

She is so excited and proud of herself. She dropped one out of the scoring circle onto the black for -1 this year. 119 points out of 120! :D

She finally got the Distinguished Expert pin that she's been wanting since she joined the department 10 years ago.

Not only did she accomplish what she set out to do but she did it in 3" heels. She thought she was going to be in a classroom all day so wore a nice suit with high heels. The 2 guys from her academy class that used to help her stay off the weak shooter list by throwing a couple of rounds on her target were qualifying on either side of her and were shocked that she is now tying their scores.

I've been working with her on shotgun for the last couple of months since she decided she wants to start toting an 870. She is supposed to be scheduled to qualify with it today. I've got my fingers crossed.

That time of year again. I'm so proud of her.

Not only did she accomplish what she set out to do but she did it in 3" heels. She thought she was going to be in a classroom all day so wore a nice suit with high heels. The 2 guys from her academy class that used to help her stay off the weak shooter list by throwing a couple of rounds on her target were qualifying on either side of her and were shocked that she is now tying their scores.

What is the old quote.... 'what is the big deal about Fred Astaire? Ginger Rogers did everything he did but backwards and in heels!' Congrats to Celitha! :P

Edited by Trisha Lowry

Congrats to the officer for her Distinguished Expert qualification and on the decision to take up shotgun! Every officer should have a one available and be proficient with it! Also, a BIG way to go for Renee! All our LEO's should be fortunate enough to have this level of coaching and commimtent!