Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Know How To Get Drinking Water

Howdie fellow BE'ers,

If you're in a bind for drinkable water, you can get it out of your water heater's tank. I figure just about every house should have at least 30 gallons of water "stored" in the tank. Of course, sediment might be a problem. And if it is under 10 ft of nasty flood water, that could be a problem too.

I'm sure since you all handle guns and break 'em down for cleaning, etc, you all should be mechanically inclined enough to get the water out of the tank, so I'll spare y'all the boring details.

Just store that tidbit of info in the mental rolodex for future reference, just in case ya ever need it.

See also: The movie called "The Trigger Effect". It's good for getting the brain a thinkin' about "what if?"

Chills

Or.... you can have a 1000 galoon pressurized tank as a buffer into your hose.

Main house water line comes into a sealed tank.

Tank fills and becomes a resevoir

House connections are downstream of tank

water s tank is continuously renewed so no old water

Trouble arrives. Block Main water to tank and you have 1000 gallons potable.

Add swimming pool in back yard and you have 20K + gallons for washing clothes,flushing toilets etc. etc.

Or....  you can have a 1000 galoon pressurized tank as a buffer into your hose.

Main house water line comes into a sealed tank. 

Tank fills and becomes a resevoir

House connections are downstream of tank

water s tank is continuously renewed so no old water

Trouble arrives.  Block Main water to tank and you have 1000 gallons potable.

Add swimming pool in back yard and you have 20K + gallons for washing clothes,flushing toilets etc. etc.

Is your tank above ground, or do you have a way to pressurize the tank when the main is shut?

Since the tank is used only for drinking and cooking I have a spigot on the bottom and a way to vent in air at the top. We just use from that.

I guess I could put a Air Connector on it and pressurize it with my air compressor running off my generator or put my daughter to work with the bicycle pump. :blink:

I also have been looking back at my posts. Seems I might want to slow down and proofread them instead of being in a hurry to get em posted. My spelling is simply horrible. Some of that is not looking at the screen as I type but hunting and pecking on the keyboard with 4 fingers.

Edited by standles

IF, and this is a big if, the electricty stays on, but the water is not drinkable, I have 2 dehumidifiers in the basement. they collect about 2.5 gallons of water per day during the summer. Worst casethey are almost always 1/2 full, so I have a few gallons anyway.

Have 60 gallons in the water tank for the horses, and I figure they can at least share. Yuck!

So long as we are talking regional disaster and not EOTHWAWKI....

I hate to state the obvious but....

how about taking a few essentials (read guns and ammo, food, some clothes) and going some place that has potable water?? I figure the post office can forward me the check from the insurance company to pay for the demolished house.

My house uses well water that is so hard I can almost drive nails with it so I keep 10-12 gallon jugs of drinking water around most of the time. I also have three 7 gallon water jugs that I take on camping trips.

The body can live a lot longer without food than it can without water.

Ditto what Graywolf said. The rule of thumb was 3 days without water and you're very well on your way to being dead. The other rule of thumb was 3 weeks without food.

Or was it 30 days?

In hot weather, the other rule was to consume at least one quart an hour.

Chills

Ditto what Graywolf said.  The rule of thumb was 3 days without water and you're very well on your way to being dead.  The other rule of thumb was 3 weeks without food. 

Or was it 30 days?

In hot weather, the other rule was to consume at least one quart an hour.

Chills

I have a small Katadyn filter that uses a ceramic filter cartridge and can also use a charcoal filter pack (for pesticides and other chemicals in the water; limited to 50-60 gallons max). It would take quite a bit of pumping for gallons of water, but it's good for canteens on a hiking trip. I have an adapter to connect it to a water faucet like found in a household sink. If pressure is available, it'll push water through the filter with no pumping required. It's versatile, but a bit bulky, for minimalist hiking.

The quote was something like a human could only go 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, and 3 months without shooting :D (OK, that only applies to board members).

Edited by 1911user