Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does this mean I'm crimping too much?

Falloutboy89

16 hours ago, noylj said:

TG produces pressure spikes at low loadings. TG also does not handle even minor over-loads very well.

TG is a fine  powder, if it works for you.

Personally, I would get a standard Lee sizing die. Standard Lee and Hornady sizing dies go down almost as far as any sizing die can. Dillon is very sloppy and the rest fall in between.

Can you prove TG produces pressure spikes at "low loadings"? Or is that more internet BS?

100K+ and my Dillon sizing die yields a less than 1% failure rate when check with a SB Hundo. I must have gotten one of the "unsloppy" ones, lol.

4 hours ago, dtuns said:

I have a RCBS lock out die and still look in every case.

Bingo, for some reason people think it's one or the other.

OP: I use the Dillon powder check and eyeball the case, so far so good.

Edited by 4n2t0

On 7/17/2019 at 12:15 AM, noylj said:

TG produces pressure spikes at low loadings. TG also does not handle even minor over-loads very well.

And how do you know this?  Do you have some type of strain gage setup to measure chamber pressure?  Or sent it to a ballistics lab for testing?

On 7/17/2019 at 1:15 AM, noylj said:

I would get a standard Lee sizing die.

Got one. Did another run last night with the standard Lee 9mm 90548 Carbide Sizing Die. Here's the difference in two random cartridges I pulled. The difference between the two seems more extreme to my eyes than it looks on the photo. I still think I need to adjust the crimp.

Untitled-1.jpg.b10636b9496b560cf254d170a099f91a.jpg

The difference you're seeing is because the Dillon sizes the brass slightly smaller than the Lee.  Aside from visual differences, they both should shoot the same. 

BTW, the difference you're seeing will be magnified if you reload 9mm with 147 gr bullets.  Again, the visuals don't necessarily impact the performance. 

Why do you feel the crimp needs to be adjusted? It should measure somewhere between .377-.379. You're just trying to remove the flare put on the case mouth by the powder funnel.

Edited by 4n2t0

23 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Why do you feel the crimp needs to be adjusted?

I know there are different reasons why this could be happening but I get a lot of brass shavings in my crimp die and in my loaded cartridge bin. I even started a thread about it.

Rowdyb gave me similar info ("width of 9mm case times two. width of projectile. so say 0.010 for brass times two gets you 0.020 and a projectile of 0.356 and you end up with 0.376". i crimp at 0.378".") which seemed well received.

I'll measure for this later today to confirm. Appreciate the info.

You're getting brass shaving because you're flaring the case mouth too much, which isn't necessary with FMJ. Adjust the powder funnel to flare less and you'll get less shavings.

P.S. Using new(er) brass will amplify the "problem".

Edited by 4n2t0

6 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

Are they both the same head stamp? Thinner brass will cause an exaggerated wasp look. 

Yes and no. They are all Federal once fired (by me) and Federal range brass I have saved. Since I am new I am sorting by headstamp. But upon further inspection they do not all have the exact same FC headstamp. There seem to be some variety within the FC headstamp for example some are "FC" and some are "•FC•".

5 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Adjust the powder funnel to flare less and you'll get less shavings

I'll look at this. Thank you. 

5 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Using new(er) brass will amplify the "problem".

This is something I wasn't aware of either... TY again.

Never used the Dillon powder check. I already had the Lock-Out die before I ever got a 1050.

Very sensitive—it fails charges that are in cases with a slightly different case capacity.

I use it "loose" on the press and, when I get a Lock-Out, note if it is by very much, adjust just a little and then inspect the charge in the case and weigh it. After several years, I have not found a charge out by more than 0.2gn, but I STILL use the die and still look in the case.

TG and pressure spikes: That is my "opinion" as I have shot many TG loads and at low starting loads, with rounds that have all been weighed to +/- 0.05gn, I will get maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 rounds that have significantly different recoil impulse and more flattened primer than the other 8-9 rounds. I also get this occasionally with N310 and Clays. This doesn't happen every time, but enough to make me wary. NEVER with any other powder.

I also always check bullet tension after seating the bullet and before "crimping," so I don't think that I have bullet set-back and, if I did, it wouldn't only show up with these three powders so consistently.