Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" Criterion Rifle Length Barrel

gerritm

My granddaughter's rifle was due for an upgrade on her barrel. She had a basic 16" 1x8 mid length barrel. It has a LW BCG/adj.gas key, Lantac Dragon comp, & older Taccom light buffer. Barrel was OK as far as accuracy with XM193 55gr & Hornady 75gr Black. Vortex Viper PST 1x6 scope.  Gun shot fairly soft with this setup. 

My son shoots a Stretch16 & I have a Faxon barrel.

After much investigation & advice, including a $50 off coupon from the Babes with Bullets match we decided on a Criterion 16" rifle length gas barrel.

Installed the barrel, kept the Lantac comp, LW BCG/adj.gas key, & buffer. My son zeroed it at  200 yards. 

Took it out yesterday for her to shoot. Our range has steel at 300 yards. Painted the large IPSC steel She ran some 55gr, first 3 shots off sand bags were dead center @ 300. Switched to the 75gr Hornady Black. Also dead center slightly lower. Probably 3" group or less. Wanted to see how it felt off hand. She shot the 55's off hand at the large steel @ 300 and hit 3 out of 4. Gun is super soft & very accurate. My son shot it off hand @ 300 with same results says he thinks it has less movement than his Stretch setup. Will run it out to 500 next at another range.

gerritm

Thanks for the write up. I considered that barrel for a recent comp rifle build but ended up chickening out and playing it safe with a mid length barrel. Would love to see updates regarding reliability after a few matches and some dirty running. 

We did have to open the gas up on the key quite a bit to get it to lock back on empty chamber. Temp was about 90 & it ran fine & ejected the initial rounds using some 55gr Angelfire reman ammo that I know is lower FPS (2800) than standard XM193, but figuring when it gets chilly it would probably not work. So set the gas with the lower fps loads until it would just lock back and then gave it about 1/2 more turn. It really shot soft before setting the gas.

gerritm

Been running this barrel for 2 seasons now and I like it. It can be a bit tricky to setup with ultra lightweight BCGs due to the short dwell, but very reliable once there. Once I got over the initial testing/tinkering and finalized the setup, I haven't had a single malf yet. Like every other Criterion barrel I've owned, it's super accurate too. Able to go 10/10 on moa sized steel at 300m, and shot .4moa at my zero distance of 50. That accuracy plus the longevity of a chrome lined barrel is a killer combo.

My only complaint is that I wish it were just a tad lighter, but it's not terrible. The recoil impulse is noticably different than a mid length, but not as much as you'd think. You probably wouldn't be able to tell unless you shot them side by side.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

On 7/6/2019 at 9:23 PM, Screaminyz said:

Gerritm,
Just curious is this the barrel model number you are using? Is it Chrome lined?

7ef04481ec99155682997c92383d2d4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the one we got.

gerritm

She shot it this weekend in an AR match at our local range. Beat my old slow butt. She took 7th out of almost 40 shooters. Shot the short range targets as fast or faster than any other shooter including me. Struggled a little with some new positions that the SD demanded, but is learning. Hit the longer range steel at 200/300 with no problems.

We are using a LWBCG/RCA adjustable gas key with an old Taccom LW buffer system. Ran perfect the whole day.

She is loving it.

That’s awesome to hear she is doing good and progressing, there’s definitely not enough women/girls involved in this sport. If you don’t mind me asking how old is she? My daughter is 18 and she is now just showing some interest in shooting. When she was younger she played every sport but wanted nothing to do with guns. 

I think I could partly blame her mother for that. 

She is 17 started shooting a little over a year ago. She also played every sport, VB, Swimming, & SB. Did well in all. But concentrated on school instead of sports. Strait A's. Her Dad & I both shoot. She wanted to join us. My wife is not a big gun person, but doesn't really care one way or other and will shoot SG & .22 once in awhile. Her mother is not involved.

Started her out in PCC in USPSA & UML. She is a natural with a rifle. Struggled with a pistol until we had a buddy who is a former Green Beret & firearms instructor teach her the finer points of shooting a pistol that father's & grand fathers can't. Same with shotgun, she did a clinic with Jerry & Lena at Babes with Bullets & improved greatly.  Loves multi-gun & USPSA. Shoots all guns well now. Is really good with AR & PCC. Really likes falling steel matches shooting PCC & shotgun. 

One note about starting out. We picked PCC because it is the easiest to shoot, no reloads, fun & accurate. Transfers to rifle easily with same controls, SG & pistol have a longer learning curve so worked into that. Needs to be fun and if she is like my GD she will want to be competitive quickly.

Good luck with your daughter. We have a great time shooting together & competing against each other.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

• 2 months later...