Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Design and Development

2Alphamikenoshoot

Ive been thinking about building a range for some time. And i think Id do it after retirement. But ive been thinking about a lot of ideas to do it. Not that i think it would be financially viable. With lead reclamation, noise ordinance, the amount of BS and physical exertion one must put into it, time is money, so i dont know if it would ever be worth it. But I am considering it. Ive shot a lot of matches over the years and at a lot of different places. But Ive been to a lot of ranges where i thought a lot of things were lacking. For example a Crappy safe area (just throw a table out and a s#!tty sign) or  bathrooms not plumbed in. Or even Talledega CMP complex where they spent 20 million on the damn place and the only bathroom for the action pistol bays is a 10 minute walk across the bridge. During shooting its just not very convenient. 

If money were absolutely no object what features would you want at a range?  

Opposing bays with coveres areas in the middle

Golf carts  allowed 

Restrooms,  not porta pottys

Both bays and natural terrain bays

New paper targets for every match

Free beer after the match

That would be a good start

The opposing bays with covered areas in the middle is a good idea.

Tables under the covered area would be nice.

Sufficient number of bays to handle whatever kind of match you want to hold.  Six or so for the monthly matches.  Twelve for any kind of major matches.

At least a few large bays to allow spread out stages.

If possible, orient the bays so that you are not staring directly into the sun early in the morning or late in the evening.

Sufficiently high berms on both the end of the bay and both sides.

Sufficient drainage so that a little rain does not turn the bays into a mud pit.

If you must use Porta Potties, keep them well maintained and clean.  Have more than one and spread them around the range.

Several scattered well marked Safety Areas each large enough that several shooters can gear up at the same time.  Place them where they cannot interfere with active stages.

Sufficient parking that is close to the range. 

Just my thoughts for the perfect range.

Shade.

Excellent drainage/elements protection for the surface itself

Tall, tall, tall berms with no overhead baffling

A consistent surface, I prefer grass on firm dirt.

wi-fi

Lights for night shooting without glare

Elemental niceties for the shooters. ie if it's a hot local then fans and misters. if a place that gets cold then heat lamps. Or both if needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve had my eye on a piece of property for a little while that would make a great range for PRS, USPSA, IDPA, steel, and whatever else.. we could use another range in my area possibly too. Seems like it would be easy enough once you get the initial work done.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, MacLethal said:

I’ve had my eye on a piece of property for a little while that would make a great range for PRS, USPSA, IDPA, steel, and whatever else.. we could use another range in my area possibly too. Seems like it would be easy enough once you get the initial work done.

Running a range is no easy task, just based on the glimpses I have had into it from the guy who runs the range I am a member at (and compete at). Especially if you are a one man show like he is, but even ranges with a lot of staff have issues.