Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"IPSC Secrets" video.

I bought the video and watched most of it yesterday.  It is plenty long and covers many areas of USPSA competition.  Calling shots, box to box movement(starting to leave as your still shooting, gun at eye level as you're entering), Natural Point of Aim, working with a timer, m,ag changes.....ect.  

Overall a good video, it's a keeper.  Especially the "in-studio" demonstration by Rob Leatham.  He draws and fires in .55 second!!(although he wasn't aiming at anything)

I wasn't expecting Lenny Magill to be in 90% of the tape, but then, it's a "Lenny Magill Production" so what the heck did I expect?.  Our own Brian Enos has a cameo role in the video. (damn Brian, how tall are you, 6'-6"? :) )

I think the most important part of this video is the actual video of the top shooters shooting!  For instance, you can clearly see Robbie's trigger finger comming way off the trigger (slapping), you can see that he changes his grip when reloading.  You can see Doug Koenig's eyes aquiring a new target before he moves the gun.

I think everyone can learn or re-learn something from this video.

I wonder what Lenny's classification is?

Yeah, I would agree. It's a good tape and brings up a bunch of points that are often overlooked........assuming one can get over Lenny's hair!

(Edited by Steven Zopfi at 7:57 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

Gotta be the Hair...LOL

I have the video which I love except that Lenny kindof gets on my nerves, it is sad when a person believes his own hype....hehe

Matt Burkett told me he thought Lenny was a C class shooter.

Does Lenny still shoot IPSC?

We previewed it at his class. It is more geared to the really new guy, like first match type stuff. If you've shot a couple matches save your money. I'm sure he'll come out with another for the more advanced guys.

Hey Matt, speaking of videos(Not those ones) The shooting one when?

thanks Chriss, was the class of TJ worth it. He may be coming down here and teacing a class. Gotta find some extra dough to attend his class.  

TJ did say something about working on a second video, but allowed that he needed to get enough of the first one out the door so he could actually use his furniture first.

The first one starts with the basics, but is good.

Oh yeah (in a blatant dot-adding effort, I'm posting a new note instead of editing that last one), the TJ class was worth it.  He does some things a bit differently than some of the other GreatOnes, but it's definately worth it.. Our class was mostly B's & A's, with a couple C's and everybody got good value out of it.

Todd's class is well worth the money. I went from being a mid C shooter to winning C Class at every major match I shoot except nationals. (The Dreaded Squib cost me that one) I cut the learning curve in half or more. This year I'm gunning for Master. Todd will pick up stupid little mistakes that cost you seconds in a stage. You can read the posts here, Brian's book, Matt's book and watch the videos, But until you have somebody of that caliber watch and then show you what you did wrong it will take years to get. Look at Brian and TGO, they practiced together for years watching each other. That type of interaction speeds up the progress. Skip a big match or 2 to get the money it is well worth it. I'm trying now to get a class set up to get Matt out here. I'm a firm believer in stealing the best techniques from the best guys. Compare the top guys, use what works and throw out what doesn't. After Todd's class go back and read Brian's book. I sat there going, Ok know I understand what he was talking about!

• 4 months later...

Hi. Sorry for reviving an old post but I was lucky enough to have recently acquired the same video.  On the part about moving between positions there was a shot there of Jerry B. where (it seemed) he flicked his safety on while running to the next position?  Just wondering if the other 'IPSC gods' :) always do this as a habit?  I'm an average glock shooter and just recently transferred to a 1911 platform so I find it a bit awkward to operate the safety.

Thanks.

I have TJ's vidoe and feel that I got ripped off. All he covers is the basic skills you need to fire a gun.  There is nothing on the video that is geared towards practical shooting.  I figure if you know who TJ is then you have been shooting long enough to all ready know everthing thats covered on his tape.  The only good thing about it is being ale to slow down the parts when he is shooting in order to get a better look at his technique.

Thanks a lot Ron.  Back here, these videos are the closest to professional training I could get. I've been cutting down a little on my range budget to be able to buy these videos and I have to say it's very well worth it.  This video, Jerry B.'s Burner Series (hopefully soon Matt's new videos and BE's book), as well as just lurking in this site have helped me tremendously in the use of correct techniques and cutting down my times.  They also filled the 'training void' I felt before between my actual range time and the infos I got from the gun mags.  

Quote: from Mike Dame on 5:29 pm on June 4, 2002

I have TJ's video and feel that I got ripped off.

I'd second that... I feel it was misrepresented; he may be planning on more advanced tapes later, but the first one is DEFINITELY basic.  I'm saving up for Matt B.'s tapes...... or a used copy of the Burner series?