Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cases too large

Relatively new to pistol reloading, have been loading rifle for a while. When processing 9mm range pickups I have been seeing brass that as soon as I place a bullet in it drops all the way down. There is no tension to hold it in place to get to proper depth. They are all mixed stamps so I can't narrow it down the variable on it. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's my die (or me not adjusting it correctly). Using a set of Hornady dies on rcbs if that helps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You need to adjust your resizing die. On my Dillon, I screw the sizing die until it barely touches the shell plate and go from there. Right now, your sizing die is not properly sizing your brass hence the bullet just falls into it. 

I though as much. I was getting some cases stuck and nearly ripping the rim off if tighten it down any more. Been using the RCBS lube but I will try out some one shot and see if that helps. Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Strange, I use a LIGHT spritz of spray lube to reduce effort on the carbide die, but it will work without lube and I did so for a long time.  Can't recall sticking a 9mm.  One Shot is convenient but it is not the best lube. 

If it is indeed a 9mm die 9mm brass should not stick in it so bad you can’t get it out. Even without lube that should never happen.

Most of us load 9mm with undersized dies and it doesn’t stick so something might be wrong with your die.

Lets' review the facts:

Your case mouths, after sizing, are too large to hold a bullet.

Your cases are getting stuck when the cases are being withdrawn from the sizing die.

If the die was indeed not a 9mm, but say a 380, the case mouths would be too small to seat a bullet. But since you verified the die is indeed a 9mm, and it's tight on the downstroke, then it's reasonable to guess the die is incorrectly marked, or your expander die is incorrect and for some other caliber. Find someone who has a set of 9mm dies to borrow and verify which die is not right.