Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Break In?

I know you break in AR15 barrels for maximum accuracy.    I don't expect that's needed for a PCC.   But I have a JP 9mm out for delivery to my FFL today and I want to make sure I don't mess it up.

Lots of people don’t bother. I was paranoid with my second JP since I bought it new and followed their video on YouTube for their super match barrel (AR15). I think it probably wasn’t necessary but both shoot great. It comes with barrel paste for the process.

2 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

I know you break in AR15 barrels for maximum accuracy.    I don't expect that's needed for a PCC.   But I have a JP 9mm out for delivery to my FFL today and I want to make sure I don't mess it up.

This isn't official protocol so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. 

The last 4 barrels I have broken in by either slapping them on the night before a match where they were loaned out at to multiple shooters or slapping them on the night before practice where they were shot for 500+ rounds. 

On 5/6/2019 at 10:56 AM, Smitty79 said:

Having worked with 1000 yard rifles for many years, I have found that if you are starting with a new stainless barrel, yes break it in a little. Shoot 5 or 10 rounds, scrub with a nylon brush, scrub with JB Bore paste, wash it out with disc brake cleaner, and fire again. The PCC barrels I have encountered are not lapped especially well inside. They can do with a little polishing to smooth out the lands at the end of the freebore.

If you are shooting a new chrome lined barrel (not chrome moly) then you don't need to break it in.

I am lucky in that I have a Hawkeye bore scope so I can view the interior of the barrel. Don't ever buy a Hawkeye because your rifle will never be clean again!

Eric

Edited by ericskennard
15 hours ago, ericskennard said:

if you are starting with a new stainless barrel, yes break it in a little. fire again. The PCC barrels I have encountered are not lapped especially well inside. They can do with a little polishing to smooth out the lands at the end of the freebore.

I called Lilja at one point to ask about some precision barrels.  He echo'd most of the above - a simple break-in routine at the beginning.

From there, though, he laughed and said "nothing goes down the bore but bullets".  He said he never cleans a barrel other than perhaps a wet patch from time to time.  Said he cringes when he sees people shoving copper brushes down the bore, "all they're doing is taking rounds off the life of the barrel".

$.02

1 hour ago, bgary said:

I called Lilja at one point to ask about some precision barrels.  He echo'd most of the above - a simple break-in routine at the beginning.

From there, though, he laughed and said "nothing goes down the bore but bullets".  He said he never cleans a barrel other than perhaps a wet patch from time to time.  Said he cringes when he sees people shoving copper brushes down the bore, "all they're doing is taking rounds off the life of the barrel".

$.02

If that's true I definitely am doing something wrong. Copper brushes after every 500 rounds in my pistol is then also not a good idea??? Ok learned something then...