Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr Bulletfeeder Powder Funnel Issues

ezra650

I recently setup a 2nd 9mm tool head to load for my open gun. I use the dillon powder funnel for my other 9mm toolhead, but I had the Mr. Bulletfeeder one so I decided to give it a shot before buying another dillon funnel. Upon setting it up I am finding that the funnel is abrading the mouth of my brass and leaving brass "hairs" all over my press. This concerns me for 2 reasons. 1: It makes a mess on my reloading press/area 2: It is removing brass and could increase chances of case failure, especially loading major.

I've smoothed it with some 600 grit sandpaper and wiped it clean to no avail. It simply seems like the funnel is out of spec. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

See pic of case with "hairs" around case mouth. It is leaving a shiny ring all the way around the inside of the case mouth. I'm using all dillon dies. Brass is mixed headstamp. 

20190427_081116_1556729490332_resized.jpg

Also would like to add that I don't believe more flair is the answer. I adjusted it to the point where I had inadequate bullet tension and still same results. Unless I need even more flair and to tighten my crimp die...

Edited by ezra650

I’ve been using a MBF powder funnel on my 550 for a while because it does such a better job with mixed range brass.

I found with the Dillon powder funnel I was getting some cases that were over flared and some that were under. I don’t sort brass.

Now, every case is perfect. Bullet sits right in there.

You do need to re adjust you’re powder die. The Dillon powder funnel is longer.

Just added a 650 with MBF to my reloading bench. Will of course use the MBF powder funnel on the 650 and continue to use the extra on my 550 for load development and SD loads.

I do use Hornady One Shot on all pistol brass just a light dusting makes the process SO much smoother.

Never seen anything like your picture before.

Call CED and ask em...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the MBF in three calibers and don't have that issue.    I think you have way to much flare.  You really don't need any with the MBF.  If you insist on some, make it microscopic.

Yes the semi-circle slivers of brass off the mouth from the powder measure funnel are indeed strange. If I let them build up, I eventually get a bunch of them stuck on the funnel. I just live with it.

15 hours ago, zzt said:

I use the MBF in three calibers and don't have that issue.    I think you have way to much flare.  You really don't need any with the MBF.  If you insist on some, make it microscopic.

Probably so. I realize now that the MBF is a case expander, not a case belling die.

8 hours ago, adamge said:

Yes the semi-circle slivers of brass off the mouth from the powder measure funnel are indeed strange. If I let them build up, I eventually get a bunch of them stuck on the funnel. I just live with it.

It is on every case and its the full circumference of the case. Something is wrong with the adjustment. I'm going to back it off and go from there. 

On 5/3/2019 at 3:59 PM, Czgunsalot said:

It’s from the machine grooves.

I sanded my down with some fine grip sand paper the. Polished it up with flitz.

no issues anymore 

Ah glad to hear I'm not the only one who experienced it. I'll remove it from the powder die and get to work on it. Should be a mirror when I'm done with it. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

@Czgunsalot was correct. Thank you.

All it took was some sanding to smooth up where it was machined. No more brass hairs. Which is great cause before I fixed it one of them found it's way into my palm while shooting... ouch! 

1 hour ago, ezra650 said:

@Czgunsalot was correct. Thank you.

All it took was some sanding to smooth up where it was machined. No more brass hairs. Which is great cause before I fixed it one of them found it's way into my palm while shooting... ouch! 

👏 

• 5 months later...
ok, ill try Hornady one shot. ive been using dillon case lube.

Nothing wrong with that. All personal preference. I just find the Hornady to be less messy and work better for pistol purposes.

I use a large cheap Wally World deep sided sheet pan. Fill it with a blue acro bin worth of shells. Spray. Roll em around, spray again.

Maybe try hitting the MBF funnel with some fine sand paper too. It will also wear in a little with usage, I’d assume.

I never had the issues with any of my MBF funnels, but I know many others have. I’d like to think it’s cause I’ve always used the One Shot, but who knows? Luck of the draw maybe. I do know the One Shot makes the loading process much smoother.

Sometimes when I’m at the end of a run and I need just a few more shells, I’ll just through a couple in the hoper without the One Shot. Man, I can tell instantly when I get to the unlubed shells. It’s like night and day.

Hope if works for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/16/2019 at 8:54 AM, orange68 said:

i have a 1050 and am using a MBF 9mm 124 rn extreme. on the up stroke the MBF holds the shell and jerks the press.  this is new MBF powder funnel. 

anyone else having this problem?

You really don't need the MBF funnel on the 1050, assuming you are using the Dillon swage rod and holdback/expander die in station 2 (and have them set correctly).  This is direct from the MBF folks.

However you can use it, it won't hurt anything - but it is... "stickier" for lack of a better word than the dillon funnel, especially if using wet tumbled brass.  This is what you are feeling, it's not letting go of the brass cleanly and that is the jerk you feel.  Super Annoying!  Polishing it up as mentioned above will help, but i would just pull it and stick with the Dillon funnel on a 1050  tbh.  I have 4 MBF caliber kits and don't use any of the funnels on the 1050.

Just now, 78Staff said:

You really don't need the MBF funnel on the 1050, assuming you are using the Dillon swage rod and holdback/expander die in station 2 (and have them set correctly).  This is direct from the MBF folks.

However you can use it, it won't hurt anything - but it is... "stickier" for lack of a better word than the dillon funnel, especially if using wet tumbled brass.  This is what you are feeling, it's not letting go of the brass cleanly and that is the jerk you feel.  Super Annoying!  Polishing it up as mentioned above will help, but it will still do it to some degree.. some also hit the funnel with a dab of OS every 100 rounds or so as well... but i would just pull it and stick with the Dillon funnel on a 1050  tbh.  I have 4 MBF caliber kits and don't use any of the funnels on the 1050.

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, Czgunsalot said:

F058A83D-CC67-4A8C-A8DB-A583DC01FFA3.jpeg

I just chucked mine up in the lathe. Found out it wasn't concentric. Cut about .001" off, changed the radius on that first little "lip" and polished with jewelers rouge.  Not sure it's going to make much of a difference.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 4:26 AM, Woolybear said:

I just chucked mine up in the lathe. Found out it wasn't concentric. Cut about .001" off, changed the radius on that first little "lip" and polished with jewelers rouge.  Not sure it's going to make much of a difference.

Wooly:

IMO, your on the right track!

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/288523-daa-powder-funnel-on-the-rl1100/?do=findComment&comment=3211870