Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic hitting brass

Stealsack

I have been shooting a Sig x5 with a vortex viper for a bit more than a year.

I love the combo, and setting aside the 2011s for a bit to really focus on the Sig.

For me the slow heavy bullet feels best in my hands, and I'm happiest with a 147 using VV320 just above min PF.

However, the optic often hits the brass with this combo. I shot thousands of rounds and the right side of the vortex was raw aluminum from the brass strikes until finally I cracked the glass.

I wrote vortex and said that I would be happy to pay for the repair since I really did abuse the sight. They said send it in no cost.

I did, and ordered a second so I could keep a backup and started shooting my backup sight. The backup failed in a month.

Sent it in, used the returned sight and changed my loads to my pcc loads, a 124gn with TG to help with the strikes.

I get fewer strikes now but still some, failed the replacement in about a month, put my backup on and it wouldn't stay lit.

I sent the two failed sights in and used my third, it failed first match with no visible strikes.

received the replacements and one is about half as bright on max, set it aside and used the other. It failed this weekend, dot turning on and off during shooting.

I always use new batteries not the ones from vortex, and have checked the tabs.

Soooo, two questions for you folks:

What can I do to reduce the slide hitting the brass?

What should I do about the optics? I feel like they are sending me poorly repaired sights?

Should I pick a different optic? Which would you recommend?

Ok, that was 5 questions.

Thoughts?

The three people I know using Vortex Vipers all had to send theirs back to the factory.

You change your ejection angle by changing the length and angle of your ejector.  Sounds like you need on that is longer so the case ejects earlier, and angled about 5 deg back on the bottom 2/3s of the face.  That will make it eject out the side of the port and down, or at least level.

Thanks zzt, I'll try that.

The optic hits the brass on the way back to battery. 

I heard back from Vortex today.  Very helpful.

Offered to change my optics to venoms for no charge including immediate shipping with a return label for my dead vipers.

Also will personally insure that the new optics are working before shipping.

They also offered to upgrade me to the Razor for a nominal charge. I've not used one so I went the venom route.

Vortex CS is the best. Lifetime warranty is a must. Have broken a couple of C-More plastic cases and been charged for the repairs. Both cracked in the same spot, obvious design flaw.

I have used the Venom/Vipers on 2-different open slide mount Glocks, a couple of PCC's & open shotguns. The ones on the open frame mount guns,  PCC's/shotguns have never broken or had any issues. 

It seems to be that the slide mount optics take an exceptional beating. I seem to have one break about every 6-months to a year. Never from the brass hitting it, although there have been some chips & marks on the frame, but just the slide movement. Vortex has always replaced them with no problem.

I am trying a Burris Fastfire III 8MOA right now on a slide mount open minor gun. They also have a lifetime warranty. See how that holds up. Seems to be the nature of the beast with slide mounts.

gerritm

The FF3 8 MOA will last a long time.  My first one was slide mounted on my 1911 45 shooting major and near major loads.  After 40,000 rounds the little plastic cover over the led hole cracked and fell out.  The sight still worked.  I was concerned about dirt or crud getting in there, so I called Burris to see what they thought.  They told me to send it in.  They sent me a new one in return.  I have five of them all told.  Three slide are mounted on centerfire pistols.  I've had no problems with any of them.

50 minutes ago, zzt said:

The FF3 8 MOA will last a long time.  My first one was slide mounted on my 1911 45 shooting major and near major loads.  After 40,000 rounds the little plastic cover over the led hole cracked and fell out.  The sight still worked.  I was concerned about dirt or crud getting in there, so I called Burris to see what they thought.  They told me to send it in.  They sent me a new one in return.  I have five of them all told.  Three slide are mounted on centerfire pistols.  I've had no problems with any of them.

Good to know, I really like the 8moa here in the Texas Sun. 

Thanks, gerritm

On 4/3/2019 at 3:59 PM, dansedgli said:

Are you running a lighter recoil spring yet? That will help a little.

Sorry, I missed the notify button, so I missed your question.

I'd have to check for sure, I tried springs 2# up and down from factory, but I don't remember for sure which I left in the gun.

It was really close between 1# lighter and the stock spring with the springer guide rod.

Sheesh, my memory is toast.

• 2 months later...

Another plus 1 of FF3’s. I have 8 of them and never once have I had a failure of any sort. My first battery lasted 7 years!

I would suggest going to a lighter bullet and slightly hotter load. This will make the slide open faster and improve ejection allowing the brass to get out of the way before the slide returns to battery.