Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance Goliath vs Taylor +12...TTI?

Im torn between these new Goliaths and the older TF +12.

Are there any drawback on the Goliath? At the moment the only baseplates ive used are TTI +5/6 on the Glock 33rd mags with the stock 33rd spring, no modding either on the stock or the baseplate.

I understand these require a bit of shaving on the mag bottom edge and a bit of sanding on the follower bottomside. The real question is, are the goliaths plug and play after the mag mods or do they need some grinding too?

On springs, any advice?

I tried calling Taylor Freelance 3 times today and NADA.

Im torn between these new Goliaths and the older TF +12.

Are there any drawback on the Goliath? At the moment the only baseplates ive used are TTI +5/6 on the Glock 33rd mags with the stock 33rd spring, no modding either on the stock or the baseplate.

I understand these require a bit of shaving on the mag bottom edge and a bit of sanding on the follower bottomside. The real question is, are the goliaths plug and play after the mag mods or do they need some grinding too?

On springs, any advice?

I tried calling Taylor Freelance 3 times today and NADA.
I first started out with the MBX then got the Goliath then got a tti just to compare. I have found both the Goliath and the TTI are great. It's really a matter of preference and how many rounds you want to carry during a stage depending on the rules (USPSA, outlaw, uml, etc). What got me to try get the Goliath was reports of the mag and extension snapping off on the MBX extensions because there was no support at the base where they meet. The metal stops short from the base and it's just polymer at the base where the extension is mounted. The great thing about the Goliath and the TTI is that the extensions go further up to help support that area making it more durable. If I had to choose one I'd go with the Goliath although the newer tti is gtg too. 85b4dd1da5d41ce81f228449ce290543.jpg

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Oh and I forgot to add, with longer extensions I have found smoothing out the interior is a good idea. Doesn't matter which ones mbx or Taylor, I've had the spring bind up on both out of the box, but nothing a little smoothing out didn't cure. I am sure it also would have broken in eventually if I had did nothing, but the worst time for you to have feeding issues is during a match, which is what happened to me. I didn't have this issue with the TTI.

I couldn't get the goliath to feed any bullets with a longer oal.  I have a ton of the blazer brass i picked up for cheap last black Friday, but none of it will feed through either the goliath or the mbx mega.  They both work fine with shorter oal ammo, but both required a lot of blending/smoothing 

The Goliath is great if your oal is under 1.125. I only spent a few minutes working on the mags, just removed the flashing on the glock tube and it runs like a champ. I run a mix of TTI and Goliath, sold off the mega due to reliability reasons. 

5 minutes ago, RocketRyan said:

The Goliath is great if your oal is under 1.125. I only spent a few minutes working on the mags, just removed the flashing on the glock tube and it runs like a champ. I run a mix of TTI and Goliath, sold off the mega due to reliability reasons. 

This confirms what my local GM told me that uses them too. He recommended 1.123 max OAL.

1 hour ago, brix said:

Oh and I forgot to add, with longer extensions I have found smoothing out the interior is a good idea. Doesn't matter which ones mbx or Taylor, I've had the spring bind up on both out of the box, but nothing a little smoothing out didn't cure. I am sure it also would have broken in eventually if I had did nothing, but the worst time for you to have feeding issues is during a match, which is what happened to me. I didn't have this issue with the TTI.

Did the smoothing involved the interior of the mag body or the baseplate.

This is my first baseplate so im limited to my TTI +5 experience. I did not smoothed anything on that one.

Do you reload your own ammo? I was told some of them are picky about OAL. I haven't noticed but I only just now started making my own and my Shadow 2 dictates that more than the mag extensions.
Yes I was running reloads, OAL 1.24, based on the responses to the post maybe might have been too tight. But it was the same OAL that I ran for my S2 too, it didn't seem to mind. I haven't had any hiccups since I cleaned up the inside a little.

1 hour ago, brix said:

Yes I was running reloads, OAL 1.24, based on the responses to the post maybe might have been too tight. But it was the same OAL that I ran for my S2 too, it didn't seem to mind. I haven't had any hiccups since I cleaned up the inside a little.

I screwed up and bought 124gr Berry FN, the profile is terrible for the S2, needs to be 1.080 to pass a plunk test. Was a rough way to learn my first batch of 50.

24 minutes ago, ABQautoxer said:

CZ Shadow 2 pistol..

Two years ago S2 on this forum automatically meant Tanfoglio Stock 2. I remember being mildly annoyed at the time that its nickname had been hijacked without a suitable replacement given.

I screwed up and bought 124gr Berry FN, the profile is terrible for the S2, needs to be 1.080 to pass a plunk test. Was a rough way to learn my first batch of 50.
Yep, luckily I had a buddy that gave me the skinny on the Shadow 2 before I got into reloading and I've been using Bayou Bullets 135 RN ever since.

Not reloading yet. Mostly shooting 147s UMC flat nosed Remington or Aguila 124.

Will reload in the near future.
So digressing back to the original question and based on what has been gleaned from these posts, since you are shooting factory ammo you might want to consider round nose ammo.

When I had the issue there was a time I was switch back and forth from the 150 syntech which I was trying out and reloads, but can't remember if that's when I had issues. (Getting old). Flat nosed profile may cause issues but it should be remedied by smoothing out some of the internal surfaces a little (cant stress enough little). I smoothed out the back part where the halves meet and a little of the inner polymer rail to help with the feeding. Mileage may vary, I can only tell you from my experience.