Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf 9mm Over The Chrono

Tokarev

I shot ten rounds of WOLF 115 grain 9mm ammo over a CED chronograph this morning. Gun was a 5" Nowlin barrel shot about 10 feet from the front screen.

I didn't write down the data but it was something like 16 fps S.D. and 1150 fps average, which is right where it should be.

This is great shizzit for IDPA.

My friend Dwayne shot about 4 stages of a match today with Wolf 9mm in his P18 LDA - Production. Had 3 FTFire - no hit on the primer. I don't see how the ammo could have caused this but he finished the match with other ammo with no more problems??? Anyone have anything like this happen with Wolf? To my knowledge the gun has never previously had a single glitch...

My friend Dwayne shot about 4 stages of a match today with Wolf 9mm in his P18 LDA - Production.  Had 3 FTFire - no hit on the primer.  I don't see how the ammo could have caused this but he finished the match with other ammo with no more problems???  Anyone have anything like this happen with Wolf? To my knowledge the gun has never previously had a single glitch...

I'm almost through my 2nd case of WOLF 9mm (shoot it through a reworked RIA 1911) and have had one dud primer. Other than that one turd, the ammo has been accurate and consistent for me.

My department has been using Wolf Ammo for qualification for the last two years. We have fired approximately 20,000 rounds of 180 gr. 40 cal. with only two malfunctions(bad pimers). Not bad for $54.00 a thousand shiped. :D

since i work for our local sheriffs office, i get the LEO price on the wolf ammo.

ive never had any trouble with FTFs in my glock.

though i believe in my factory 34, it chronos closer to 150PF..

CCI blazer are about 137, and WWB ammo is in between 140 and 150...

• 2 weeks later...
since i work for our local sheriffs office, i get the LEO price on the wolf ammo.

ive never had any trouble with FTFs in my glock.

though i believe in my factory 34, it chronos closer to 150PF..

CCI blazer are about 137, and WWB ammo is in between 140 and 150...

A 150 PF with a 115 grain bullet is pretty hot for factory ammo. I've shot Federal +P+ that didn't go that fast!

A 150 PF with a 115 grain bullet is pretty hot for factory ammo.

Maybe out of a carbine............... I can't see 1375 fps out of a pistol with WWB. None of the WWB I have ever chronoed out of any pistol (including Glocks) even broke 140 PF.

I shot some of the Wolf 9mm in my G34. I really liked the quick recoil pulse. I decided to pull one of the bullets and weigh the powder charge to try to reload close to their spec. I got a huge suprise, the charge only weighed 3.0 gr. WWB powder charge is about 5.3 gr. and my Tite Group load id 4.6 gr. Anyone have any idea what kind of super fast powder this is?

I shot some of the Wolf 9mm in my G34. I really liked the quick recoil pulse. I decided to pull one of the bullets and weigh the powder charge to try to reload close to their spec. I got a huge suprise, the charge only weighed 3.0 gr. WWB powder charge is about 5.3 gr. and my Tite Group load id 4.6 gr. Anyone have any idea what kind of super fast powder this is?

You'd think that with all the complaints about WOLF being dirty, the charge would have been 10 grains of some super slow powder.

You didn't weigh a bullet, did you? One of these days I want to pull ten rounds and weigh the components and compare them for consistency.

• 1 month later...

Maybe out of a carbine............... I can't see 1375 fps out of a pistol with WWB. None of the WWB I have ever chronoed out of any pistol (including Glocks) even broke 140 PF.

power factor is bullet weight times velocity /1000

for a 115 grain bullet to make 150 power factor its gotta go 1304.35 fps...not 1375( 1375 would give approx 158 pf).

another thing to note is i said BETWEEN 140 and 150 pf...141 power factor is between them..and thats where my last batch of white box went...when the gun was newer, the walmart value packs went 1290 fps from my glock 34.

the winchester +p+ stuff made major at 172 power factor in my Glock..this was the LEO 127 SXT +P+

power factor is bullet weight times velocity /1000

for a 115 grain bullet to make 150 power factor its gotta go 1304.35 fps...not 1375( 1375 would give approx 158 pf).

another thing to note is i said BETWEEN 140 and 150 pf...141 power factor is between them..and thats where my last batch of white box went...when the gun was newer, the walmart value packs went 1290 fps from my glock 34.

the winchester +p+ stuff made major at 172 power factor in my Glock..this was the LEO 127 SXT +P+

Pardon me for the typo of a 7 instead of a 0. My error. I know how to figure power factor.

I would still like to see off the shelf WWB make 1290 out of any 5" gun. Even Winchester data states velocity at 1190. If it did make 1290, you got a box of ammo that was the exception to the norm or your chrono was giving false readings.

Guess your 127 +P+ was hitting 1355 fps? If it's your duty ammo, tests have shown the RA9TP jacket separates from the core quite frequently (as does Rem Golden Sabre) going through windshields. I was LE (county and muni) for 20 yrs including swat and range instructor. Did a lot of research on duty ammo. Just for your info.

My department has been using Wolf Ammo for qualification for the last two years. We have fired approximately 20,000 rounds of 180 gr. 40 cal. with only two malfunctions(bad pimers). Not bad for $54.00 a thousand shiped. :D

I called them last week, they are now quoting $184.00 per thousand, delivered, in lots of 10,000, for departments.

You are right, I chronoed WWB out of my Kel Tec Sub 2000 at 1350 FPS.

I've chronographed winchester 147 gr JHP (XSUB9) out of a G34. I believe Winchester's literature states velocities about 950 fps. I measured just slightly above 1000 fps for a PF between 145 and 150. I've noticed that a lot of factory ammo goes a little faster than stated. (Or my chrono may be a little off, I guess.) :wacko:

Itchy

I called them last week, they are now quoting $184.00 per thousand, delivered, in lots of 10,000, for departments.

The last order we did was in Aug. and we got the same price as stated above and we only ordered 2,000 rounds at that time.

I've chronographed winchester 147 gr JHP (XSUB9) out of a G34. I believe Winchester's literature states velocities about 950 fps. I measured just slightly above 1000 fps for a PF between 145 and 150. I've noticed that a lot of factory ammo goes a little faster than stated. (Or my chrono may be a little off, I guess.)

Itchy

Most commercial reloading data is measured out a 4" barrel so if you are measuring it out of a 5" Glock 34 the velocities are going to be higher.

Edited by Rmack