Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Squib

xtian999

When I got my 1050 I started loading 40 S&W practice loads. I made a few hundred rounds and went to the range with my buddy to practice for the NM Sectional. I managed two squibs that day and if it weren't for my buddy who stopped me, it would've been a different story. Being new at reloading I was super anal about checking and weighing the powder charge, I believe this caused me to skip the powder station...One reason why once I get my powder charge dialed in I only check it at the beginning of the loading session and that's it. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a lot of competition shooters, I've reloaded tens of thousands of rounds over the years. I've had one squib at a match. Fortunately the RO stopped me before I could fire again. 

I still worry about this stuff. Personally, If I even suspect that I have a squib, I'll ask the RO to stop me - or stop myself if the RO won't do it. Either way, a stage score isn't worth the risk of ruining my gun - or worse.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, mvmojo said:

Au Contraire! I check every case for powder with a video camera pointed down into the case and a monitor right next to the case (on a Dillon 1050).  At least I "thought" I checked every case!  But, after loading hundreds of thousands of rounds over many years it finally happened.  I was having some press problems, had to back up and fiddle with the press, etc., and even though I thought I was being super diligent, somehow one slipped by.  Mea Culpa.  Fortunately the RO screamed STOP (and I heard him and obeyed) when he heard a primer only bang.  Bullet was about 2" into the barrel.  No damage, but definitely a lesson learned.  When having press problems, stop everything, unload every station, figure out the problem and fix it rather than trying to fix on the fly!

Interesting, did the primer-only detonation have enough power to cycle the slide? I guess in the heat of the moment, the natural instinct is to "tap rack and bang" anyway.