Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA RULEBOOK ON NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH?

davidb72

We have a bunch of the old NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH tablets that we had been using for scoring that we are no longer using.

Since USPSA isn't printing rulebooks anymore is there a way to put the PDF rulebook on the NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH and use them?

I tried several times but I can't figure it out. May be because they all all rooted now and no longer have the BARNES AND NOBLE stock software on them. 

I bet if there was a way to set them back to stock it could be done pretty easily.

Anyone have any ideas on this? We are having our first match of the year in two weeks and don't have any rulebooks at this point.

Thanks!

I had used a rooted NST for a couple years for Practiscore. I used a program called Nook Manager to root it as it gave the option to leave the B&N software on it so you could use it as a Nook. I tried a few android PDF viewers and never had any luck. B&N rolled out a security update that you had to do if you wanted to continue to communicate with the B&N website so I brought it back to factory and did the update. Then, I was no longer able to use the root utility so I gave up and went to a $29 Fire.

So, I have the tablet in current factory configuration. To get the file on to the tablet, hook a USB cable from a pc to the Nook and drag it over. What you will find is that the built in PDF software will not render the file correctly. It seems to struggle with format and gets messed up as to where to the paragraph headings and paragraphs. I just tried this with the 2019 rulebook and it has the same issues it did with the 2014+.

Not real useful.

Since USPSA isn't printing rulebooks anymore is there a way to put the PDF rulebook on the NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH and use them?

If you google for pdf viewer on Nook simple touch you get a few suggestions. Just get and install a pdf viewer apk file to your devices.

PS: though I see other people simply printing pdf books at staples...

PPS: I have it in my todo list to have rulebook pdfs available directly from PractiScore. Perhaps should bump up that task up to the top. Though it still going to require pdf viewer present on device

37 minutes ago, euxx said:

If you google for pdf viewer on Nook simple touch you get a few suggestions. Just get and install a pdf viewer apk file to your devices.

PS: though I see other people simply printing pdf books at staples...

PPS: I have it in my todo list to have rulebook pdfs available directly from PractiScore. Perhaps should bump up that task up to the top. Though it still going to require pdf viewer present on device

I didn't want to ask for this because you guys already do a lot for us as shooters and match directors, but it seems like a natural fit to have the rulebook available from within the Practiscore App.

I'm not going to print them for a couple reasons. 1. They said that they could change any time and I don't want to spend money printing something 12 times that may be out of date tomorrow. 2. I don't think it should be my responsibility to print it - that's what I pay dues and submit activity fees for.

Can't speak for all PractiScore crew, but I'm a shooter, RO, stats and occasionally MD myself, so I do use the same stuff as everyone else. It is perfectly good and welcome to ask for new features and improvements.

Though being IPSC member, I don't have to pay USPSA dues in order to be able to shoot USPSA, so your sentiments don't apply to me. :)

6 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Why make more work for yourself? Everyone has a smart phone these days and the USPSA app has the rule book on it. If someone needs the rule book tell them to download the USPSA app. 

We have always kept a copy in the range box with the timer, the scoring device, and the pasters. Also, not everyone at our match is a USPSA member so those folks wouldn't have access to the app.

Is the USPSA rulebook accessible (as a .pdf) via the USPSA.org rulebook?

Can non-members download the .pdf to their smart phones from say home....well in advance of showing up to a match?

EDIT:  I just checked USPSA.org and the answer is yes....and yes.  

Edited by Chills1994

Why make more work for yourself? Everyone has a smart phone these days and the USPSA app has the rule book on it. If someone needs the rule book tell them to download the USPSA app. 
Charlie, I deal with more than USPSA and people keep forgetting to update their scoring tablets... IPSC alone has 6 or 7 rule books. Uspsa has 3 or 4. And there are other sports. In the end I make it less work.

I’d love to see a native way to get a rule book into the tablets and in a way any idiot could find it. 

Move reached out to USPSA about creating an account for their app that just has rulebook access with no response.  Great service for my money there.