Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinned Grip Safety

Killenit

The reason grip safeties are an issue for some  now is a combo of the beavertail, riding a saftey,  high two handed grip, and hand size. If you have an issue with the grip safety you can pretty much change any one of those things and the issue will go away. Or you could do the most logical thing and pin/deactivate the grip safety....

I had a bad problem years ago when shooting IDPA with a Gans 2011. Didn't matter how hard I gripped it or how much I adjusted my grip it just happened and during matches it SUCKED. My hand has a pretty big open void or hole area right where the safety engages. Friends with much meatier hands had no issues with my gun. To keep things legal  and due to frustration I went to a PM9 and didn't look back. The problem is real 

Sorry just teasin g didnt mean to come across snarky,
Browning pretty much agreed. It was insisted apon by the Army for mounted use. So he added it. Actually not all that great a design as it only bloccks the trigger vs blocking the firing pin or hammer.
Interestingly enough I went with the XDM line for mounted carry as I just am afraid of landing on a cocked and locked 1911 with or without the grip safety.  Seems to be a better design as never heard of anyone needing to deactivate the XD's/
However fit doesnt  have to be all or nothing, the tab can be dressed a bit so it is still functional but unlocks the trigger with less movement.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:28 PM, Joe4d said:

Sorry just teasin g didnt mean to come across snarky,
Browning pretty much agreed. It was insisted apon by the Army for mounted use. So he added it. Actually not all that great a design as it only bloccks the trigger vs blocking the firing pin or hammer.
Interestingly enough I went with the XDM line for mounted carry as I just am afraid of landing on a cocked and locked 1911 with or without the grip safety.  Seems to be a better design as never heard of anyone needing to deactivate the XD's/
However fit doesnt  have to be all or nothing, the tab can be dressed a bit so it is still functional but unlocks the trigger with less movement.

Actually according to patent drawings, Browning had a grip safety and no thumb safety. 

Browning Art Print featuring the drawing Firearm 1911 Patent Art by Prior Art Design

• 4 weeks later...