Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Serrations Hard on Hands?

matir

Does anyone else find the CZ slide serrations (such as on my SP-01) very hard on the fingers?  I took a class today where we practiced malfunction drills, combat reloads, and other techniques that resulted in racking the slide a lot.  By the end of the day, much of my body was sore, but my weak hand index finger and thumb were positively raw.  In fact, my weak hand index finger has a blood blister which I believe to be from the slide serrations.

Now maybe I'll get used to it over time, or stop doing classes with so much racking, or build up calluses, but I'm curious if others have this experience and have suggestions on technique, protection, etc.

well put down ur Ipod and manbun comb for a minute,,  LOL ,, just teasing,,
But think.
Really WTF is  a combat reload ? if ur reloading at slide lock you screwed up,  if ur gun is malfunctioning, ur gun or ammo or cleaning schedule is screwed up, but really do the math. If you are minupulating a slide so much your hands hurt, you either have a junk gun, junk technique, or some nancy girl hands.

You're not wrong, was just trying to figure out which it was.  It's probably a combination of the class (yes, we reloaded at slide lock probably 20 times, and did another 20 or so malfunction clearing drills, and had to ULSC another 20 times, so I was racking the slide quite a bit) and of some "nancy girl hands" (ok, not quite, but my dayjob has me at a keyboard, so definitely no comparison to @mro111lland's experiences as a diesel mechanic)

The serrations can be rough if you don't already have calluses built up on the part of your hands you are using to rack. 

Re: slide lock. Did they not allow you to use the slide release for slide lock reloads? Or are you lefty? IMO it makes no sense for a righty to rack a SP-01 after a slide lock reload since anyone with all but the tiny of thumbs should be able to reach the slide release with their strong hand thumb without breaking their grip. It's just wasted movement to load, then turn the pistol and move your support hand up, rack the slide, turn the pistol back to vertical, acquire your grip, and then press out. Slide release means just load, rotate pistol back to vertical while acquiring support hand grip and releasing slide with strong hand thumb (all one fluid movement), then press out. 

7 hours ago, matir said:

For the class, they wanted to do over-the-top racking for it all.  Presumably because of their "tactical" focus, and a claim that it's somehow faster.

That's a bad sign.  There's two better methods (right hand thumb without changing grip, left hand thumb as you put the left hand back on the gun) and they make you use the one that looks cool in movies.  Keith Garcia, for instance, teaches students to use whatever is fastest and most reliable, and that is either of the two methods I mentioned.

4 hours ago, adamge said:

That's a bad sign.  There's two better methods (right hand thumb without changing grip, left hand thumb as you put the left hand back on the gun) and they make you use the one that looks cool in movies.  Keith Garcia, for instance, teaches students to use whatever is fastest and most reliable, and that is either of the two methods I mentioned.

Interesting, I hadn't considered that.  I might reach out to the instructor and ask him what his rationale for this is.

This does bring up a point: I intend to train with several instructors so I can compare and contrast technique and find out what works best for me.

The only justifications I've ever heard for slide rack over slide release is (A) that it causes premature wear on the slide release, which even if true is almost certainly negligible in a well designed pistol, and (B) because it makes the manual of arms standard for all pistols as addressed here by David Royer. Larry Vickers identifies a key issue slide rack in particular designs like the Beretta. I've never heard anyone claim it is faster because I think it is pretty objectively not; it requires substantially more movement to execute. 

Personally I think Larry's comment about strong hand thumb is not a relevant point because that's an issue with grip, not with using the thumb to manipulate the release during a slide lock reload (which should be avoided anyways). IMO slide release strong hand if you don't have to break the grip, weak hand if you can't get it with strong hand thumb, and slide rack only if you are a left shooting a pistol with only right hand controls.

I have nothing to say about your class. Just continue to practice whatever you feel like is appropriate and in time the serrations will no longer hurt. I do not think they are overly aggressive but that you just really don't have that part of your hands toughened up yet.

Not being patronizing but don't lotion your hands. Don't use tape, moleskin or bandaids if you're having to deal with the pain. Just deal with it and in time you'll be fine.

Nope, I don't take it as being patronizing at all.  It's basically reality -- I'm new to shooting, and like I said above, you don't build up a lot of tough skin from spending all day at a keyboard.  :)

Just making sure it wasn't just me.

10 hours ago, matir said:

Interesting, I hadn't considered that.  I might reach out to the instructor and ask him what his rationale for this is.

This does bring up a point: I intend to train with several instructors so I can compare and contrast technique and find out what works best for me.

I suspect he will say something about 'fine motor skills' or 'gross motor skills.'

To which I respond with these two humourous videos: