Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock ll slide lightening

zombywoof

I recently had the slide machined on my S2. I've noticed the Shadow 2 comes with a slot in the recoil spring tunnel. The custom slides have even more hogged out of the tunnel.

This looks like a good place to remove weight. Does anyone see any down side to a big ass hole right there?

4 hours ago, goshimu said:

Potential compromising slightly strength/ cracking. I wouldn’t do it. 

My thoughts exactly.  Holes with sharp corners crack.  holes also allow flexing which leads to cracks. But slide assemblies from Eaa are "only" $700 so...

Depends how you do them.

And maybe if you use higher quality German steel instead of Italian pot metal?

My PPQ slide lost three full ounces on the nose. Haven’t cracked it. Yet. :D 

FD0C3F8D-EDE1-4666-B4A4-D3C7274D6A49.thumb.jpeg.778b88e69a67fa3aafaf5caad39e1019.jpeg

Although...

(1) Walther slides are also insanely thick

(2) Mark at L&M Precision did agreat job of  radiusing all the corners to prevent possible stress risers.

Even after stuffing the frame full of 6oz of tungsten, the gun weighs 25.9oz. Slide with dot is nearly half of that, at 10.8oz.

It shoots flat as heck, but it sure isn’t soft.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 1/19/2019 at 2:55 PM, zombywoof said:

I recently had the slide machined on my S2. I've noticed the Shadow 2 comes with a slot in the recoil spring tunnel. The custom slides have even more hogged out of the tunnel.

This looks like a good place to remove weight. Does anyone see any down side to a big ass hole right there?

How much more weight do you need to drop for CO if that is what your intended end goal is?

OP,

FYI I weighed my Stock II on a certified scale with 1 stock grip on the right and carbided slide grip on left, no front sight, Springer adapter for RDS, CZ plastic guide rod, Vortex Venom, and Henning basepad and it was 44.8 ounces.

7 hours ago, Posvar said:

How much more weight do you need to drop for CO if that is what your intended end goal is?

The goal was less reciprocating weight. The gun was at 44.6. took off 15 grams. 15 grams now in grip, still at 44,6.