Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I read some old posts and picked up Surefire, Streamlight, Fenix and UltraAspire as

recommended brands.

They range from $75 to $200, and 350 - 1,200 lumens.

1.  How many lumens do you need, tactically ?

2.  Any input on flashlights that you really love, and really didn't love ?

3.  Better if the light is re-chargeable ?

I'd love to hear from people who are experienced with these flashlights - I'm

a total newbie in the flashlight department.

These are all 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound - anything lighter and smaller that works

in a social emergency ?

I am going out of my lane in this.

Last year I took a 4th class with Kyle Lamb that was green lights, flashlights, muzzle brakes.. etc.

Showed up with 10 year old flashlights and was “that guy” for the class. Firing at distance was difficult and if you put your rifle under a car the 2nd shot was all dust.

He did a recent blog or video on lights, I just tried…if someone with better skills tries they may be able to find the link.

jon

Edited by p7fl
content

I’m a Fenix ambassador (for professional purposes more than tactical) so not an actual expert but I’ve played with various brands of lights a bit along with them rifle mounted, doing house clearing drills when family is out, etc, and always run back to Fenix.  

Are we talking to carry or attached to the gun?  I swear by the Fenix PD25 for pretty much anything but also really like my PD35.  Depends on the size you’re willing to carry.  The PD32 is a nice middle ground and will be my next purchase to try out if I get another.  

As for lumens there’s a lot of personal preference involved but IMHO 1000 lumens is too much unless you’re outdoors in open fields and hunting at night.  If indoors and you let loose that many lumens it can reflect back off surfaces and might blind yourself.... at least in my opinion... but I still keep a PD35 next to my bed and use it camping and hiking etc.   I like 500ish lumens but the amount of throw and spill (beam focus vs width) affect how the beam looks.  Again, IMHO the PD25 just nails it in all respects.  

If you decide to go the Fenix route, hit me up for a discount code.  The one I have is for 2018 but probably still works.  

PS: if you go to thier website and look under ambassadors to find me, I’ve written articles on both lights with the PD35 article being a bit of a comparison/contrast to the PD25. 

Edited by jkrispies

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

thanks, Jkrispies, appreciate the info.

Didn't think that 1,000 lumens would be too much indoors - great info.

When I'm ready, I'll give Fenix a serious consideration    :) 

Bear in mind that many 1000 lumen models have variable power settings.  On my PD35 I usually keep it set at the second highest setting but have the option of bumping up to 1000 if I want, or down as well.  The thing is that if you’re only going to use it indoors and so don’t need 1000, then there’s no need to pay for the more powerful model.

I would advise to make the means of adjusting the power setting a major deciding point.  You have to be careful in choosing this because it varies all over the place, and part of it is going to be personal preference. I like a simple tail button with a separate side button that remembers the last setting used for adjusting the power.  

Again, thanks for the idea - of course the higher power will be more flexible, but larger, heavier and more expensive.

Another thing to think about.

I'm thinking of buying two or three of them, and just try them out and use them in different scenarios.

The terms "500" or "1,000" lumens just doesn't trigger any knowledge on my part - of course 1,000 is

bigger and better than 500 (unless it's indoors, as you mentioned), but I just can't wrap my head

around exactly how bright either really would be and how "bright" I would need.   So, that's why

I'm thinking of buying multiple flashlights and just trying them out for myself, in different situations

to see how best to use each type of flashlight.

But, you've give me some excellent thoughts and a better starting point than I had before your responses    :) 

Jack, it isn't a tactical light, it's not terribly small, but it does have two different brightness levels (500 and 250 lumens), and will last a solid 8 hours on max on one charge. I have one. Docum3ntation says 22 hours on lower lumens

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear-and-equipment/jobsite-lighting-and-flashlights/20v-max-led-hand-held-area-light/dcl050

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

They advertise times of about 75 - 90 minutes on high power - an a LOT more

on reduced power.

Are non-rechargeable lights smaller and lighter, also ?

Fenix rechargeable batteries nerd me out.  They literally have the charging port built into the battery itself so you plug a kindle type cord directly into the battery, and there’s a light built into the top of the battery that comes on when plugged in, red charging and blue charged.  Maybe other companies have the same battery but these are the only ones I’ve encountered.  No additional charger required.  I don’t even remove the battery from the light, just take the head off and charge the battery right in the body of the light.  They last a surprisingly long time to me— longer than I need as long as I remember to throw it on the charger every so often. Again, only speaking to Fenix, but the batteries correspond to regular size batteries so the light sizes are no different whether you choose rechargeable or box batteries, but the Fenix rechargeable batteries tend to be more powerful than box batteries so you’ll get more lumens and life by going rechargeable.  Not sure about weight.  Cheaper in the long run too.  Reminded me that I need to charge my keychain light so I photoed it on charger if you can decipher the image...

5E059C8B-52F4-4BAA-BDF4-512F926C896D.jpeg

Edited by jkrispies

You want every lumen you can get. Light brightness = control 

Anyone that says 1000 (or any number of lumens) is too much for indoor use doesn't know how to use a weapon light (or handheld light properly). 

Go do some actually low-light training. You'll QUICKLY learn that there's no such thing as too much.  

Better yet... go do some low-light SIMS training. 

With that said, as much as im a Surefire fan, it's hard to beat the value of the Streamlight TLR1 HL for pistol use, and the HL-x for handheld or rifle use. Great value for the features you get. 

Unless you're kicking doors for a living... and entering unknown rooms, there is zero reason to blind yourself in your own home in a self defense setting. 

You can already walk around the house in virtually darkness... you "should" know where all the reflective surfaces are... 

Blinding yourself indoors (especially in your own home) is a training issue, not an equipment issue. 

Just sitting here, with a grin, waiting for Jkrispies' response.     :) 

But, you do bring up a great point that I never thought of - training to use

the damn thing properly.

I remember Clint Smith saying he can't imagine any scenario in which he

would ever turn on a flashlight during a gun fight.

Guess I'm going to have to learn HOW to use this thing, once I buy it.

Thanks for the advice    :) 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Just sitting here, with a grin, waiting for Jkrispies' response.     :) 

LOL!  I actually wasn’t going to respond as I prefaced my 1000 lumen comment with “In My Humble Opinion.”  The only thing incorrect about that preface is that I’m not at all humble.  I’m sure that a properly trained person using a 1000 lumen light can deploy it well indoors... but I haven’t been trained and it’s not at the top of my priority list.  I think that’s true for the vast majority of folks; most gun owners aren’t even formally trained, so convincing people to spend $200 on a flashlight course isn’t going to go over that well to the average guy.   Where I’m at, I like my “small” PD25 in the hand as well as on the gun.  I never feel underpowered with 500 lunens, even outdoors when you’re talking about my small backyard, walking around the car, etc.   I also like my PD35 in the hand, but if I’m indoors it’s not going to be on full blast.  Outdoors, sure, it’s nice to have the option of 1000 lumens if I’m out Camping and looking in the distance... which is extremely rarely that I’m looking that far away. A typical person may never need that much throw.  Just my opinion.  

Edited by jkrispies

Sorry I've forgotten all the model numbers and marketing BS. I no longer have any "old tech" lights.

I've purchased a dozen or so it seems $20 Streamlights to leave around the house and cars, anything that uses a CR123 is good because the batteries last a long time in storage. I may have my act together (optimistic) but my wife and kid probably won't so better for them to find something to use than not. 

Then I have couple nicer $100+ Surefires. One I keep in the car and it's bright enough to drive with my lights off in pitch black. Not that I would want to but it's nice to know. Another is on my mountain bike and I do ride my well-memorized trail at night with it on the handlebars. Those are the tools that I don't loan out. 

Streamlight TLR-1s on my HD guns, G19 and AR. The way their flipper switch works makes sense to me and for the price they seem excellent. For the cost of a Surefire I can outfit three guns. 

I doubt I need the flashlights in a HD scenario but I prefer to have that option. 

That movie with the clown living in the sewer grate, that would be a good reason for a weapon light 😜

Edited by Frankly

5 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I like my “small” PD25 in the hand as well as on the gun.  I never feel underpowered with 500 lunens, even outdoors when you’re talking about my small backyard    I also like my PD35 in the hand,    Just my opinion.  

Thanks, and I noticed you dropped the "HUMBLE" opinion.     😂

I'm surprised that California allows you to use Tactical flashlights.     :eatdrink:

75 to 90 min may be long enough for you, but it depends on usage. Batteries don't last as long in cold. We got some Surefire lights for aircraft maintenance and inspection. They are bright, waterproof and durable, but runtimes are too short for 12 hr shifts. People always want to use the brightest settings so lower settings to make the batteries last longer doesn't seem to help.

3 hours ago, Frankly said:

I've purchased a dozen $20 Streamlights to leave around the house and cars

Then I have couple nicer $100+ Surefires. One I keep in the car and it's bright enough to drive with my lights off in pitch black

Great idea - I was thinking of buying three of them, but a dozen does sound Much Better 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Thanks, and I noticed you dropped the "HUMBLE" opinion.     😂

I'm surprised that California allows you to use Tactical flashlights.     :eatdrink:

We have to register them as assault lights, are unable to wrap our thumbs around the body, and they must be a different color than black. 

Edited by jkrispies

The sharpened tooth rims on some of these tactical flashlights must already be banned in the UK. I wonder if anyone has ever actually used one in anger effectively? (Other than shredding their pants.)

Or a tactical pen? John Wick only needed a pencil.

Edited by Frankly