Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for .45 SS gun?

Steve-O

I have a Colt Competition .45 for SS using  Winchester White box 230 grain ammo until I start reloading my question is what recoil spring to use at the moment? I have Wolff 11-15 lb conventional and 13-15 lb variable recoil springs. I just don’t want to beat up the gun using the wrong spring and also never used a variable spring before so I bought some to try out. Thanks for the help. 

I have a Colt Competition .45 for SS using  Winchester White box 230 grain ammo until I start reloading my question is what recoil spring to use at the moment? I have Wolff 11-15 lb conventional and 13-15 lb variable recoil springs. I just don’t want to beat up the gun using the wrong spring and also never used a variable spring before so I bought some to try out. Thanks for the help. 
Here's one chart. I use a 14 pound variable Wolff myself0041be81935f4f9f61214ae6ce26fd69.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

After using a 14lb spring for years in my 45, I found my gun shot a little better with a 13lb spring for 170 pf loads. I shot primarily SS for a few years and made M with that gun. You might want to go a lb or 2 higher for factory rounds, but I don't really have a clue what pf WWB is, since I've never shot factory ammo in my gun.

Timely topic, since I recently bought a TRP for defense and carry.  A million years ago, when I shot a SS in Ltd, my go to was a 16#.  Since I had a bunch on hand, I threw one in the TRP and ran some factory rounds through it.  There were occasions where I could feel the slide impact with the frame.  Imprints on the shock buffer confirmed it.  If I were shooting white box through the gun in any quantity,  it would get a 17 or 18#.

There are other variables to consider before choosing a recoil spring, such as the velocity and hammer spring.  As many have suggested, for boxed 230Gr a 17-18 lbs spring is a good start.  If you start to reload you can consider backing the spring down.  I run a 14 lb spring with a  45 185gr JHP running at 750-800 fps. 

I am not a fan of shock buffers.  They are something else to go wrong when the start coming apart with use.

Good luck,

Keith