Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for reloading data for a Zero 115gr JHP in a SIG MPX

jlow

This bullet was recommended to me.  I have done some research on the Hodgdon website and found a load for 115gr Speer Red dot JHP which I presume is close to the Zero's 115gr JHP.  Looks like they recommend a COAL of 1.125" and titegroup range between 4.5gr (low) to 4.8gr (max) for an MV between 1,135 and 1,258fps.

Anyone use something like this and I wonder how well that works?

Your group size will vary depending on what you're shooting ?  What gun are you using ?

Notice that Eric is using a LOT less powder than the powder company recommended.

I'd start with the lower level that Eric recommended, and work up slowly with a chrono.

To find the OAL that suits YOUR gun, with this particular bullet, you should run

The Plunk Test.     :) 

Zero bullets have a great reputation - you will probably get some good accuracy from

them, if you tailor everything else properly for YOUR gun.

Hey Jack op is shooting a MPX (look in his post)

As far as oal / plunk test do you under stand the term

hotdog down a hallway? The chamber and through are 

so large you can not hit anything.

jlow 

You may wont to ask this question in the PCC section.

But add the intended purpose ie beyond 50yards.

The uspsa guys ard loading for soft recoil up close.

3 gun guys have to shoot out to 100 yards .

See the problem? Two different  loads are commonly used.

Hi-Power Jack you are correct.  One cannot do a plunk and twist test on this gun as there is a ramp on the start of the rifling and even a very long OAL round does not touch the rifling.  The reason is this is meant to be a sub gun and there is more room for gas to escape.  Thanks for your suggestion, I will ask this question in the PCC section.

Hello: My group size at 50 yards is about 4" off hand. I don't use a rest since I don't shoot any matches that require shots past 50 yards. When I did shoot carbine matches out to 125 yards I used 124 grain bullets since they were more accurate than the 115's. 147's dropped too much out there. The MPX is a soft shooter but shooting 160PF loads just does not work for what I do. Thanks, Eric

On 1/14/2019 at 6:49 AM, AHI said:

The uspsa guys ard loading for soft recoil up close.

Close! But technically, we hunt for the flattest shooting load. Whatever keep the dot movement down between shots. That sometimes is and sometimes is not the softest shooting load.

I run 115s that are a bit snappier than most, but the dot nearly sits still between shots. Your accuracy comment was spot on, however as my current load isn't good past 20-25 yds. Most USPSA guys won't admit to it, but they haven't really done any accuracy workups on their ammo. Not to the extent that someone who regularly shoots 100+ would anyway.

24 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Close! But technically, we hunt for the flattest shooting load. Whatever keep the dot movement down between shots. That sometimes is and sometimes is not the softest shooting load.

I run 115s that are a bit snappier than most, but the dot nearly sits still between shots. Your accuracy comment was spot on, however as my current load isn't good past 20-25 yds. Most USPSA guys won't admit to it, but they haven't really done any accuracy workups on their ammo. Not to the extent that someone who regularly shoots 100+ would anyway.

that was my point. you understand what i was trying to say.

I've been running RN 115 over 5 grains of wsf at 1.155 and it reliably Cycles the gas system in my 8-inch MPX without a lot of dot Motion. 

It initially didn't cycle my 147/3.2gr titegroup load but I haven't yet tried a 115 over titegroup, ill have to experiment with that now

Well I went out today in the cold and did a powder weight charge study with the Zero 115 gr JHP using Titegroup - pretty happy!  Got two charge that gave me sub 2" 5 round groups at 50 yards.   Best group was 1.8"!