Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Battery life of Romeo 1

old558

I ordered a Romeo 1 6 MOA and it should be here in a day or so. I had a sig 320 RX in the past and the battery life was pretty dismal so I am wondering if the new Romeos are any better or if I should stock up on batteries now. Love the sight just not the battery life.

The Romeo 1 I've had has been great.  I dryfire just about every night and haven't had to change the battery since October when I got it.

I also have the 6moa

Edited by chenault

My experience with the Romeo 1 as far as batteries go has been good. I’m one of those guys who turns it on and leaves it on all the time. Doing so, I’ve had batteries last almost a year. Normally I’ll change them out quarterly just to be sure the sight is going to work, but I ran one battery that long just to see.

My experience is varied, even on the same sight. I have 4 guns with Romeo 1's. I EDC'd one of them for a year, and the factory battery (Renata) lasted 8 months. The sight was always turned on and always on full brightness. I put a Duracell in as a replacement, and it did not last as long, about 4 months. So that really has me questioning battery quality/consistency.

My current carry RX started out with a fresh Duracell, but only lasted about 5 weeks. It is a gen 5 sight. I put a different brand in it now, Everready. If that doesn't last, I'll try one of the Sig supplied Renata's again. I was happy with 8 months of EDC battery life, but not too pleased with anything short of that.

The 2019 catalog specifically calls out 20,000 hours.  No setting mentioned.  I’ve no doubt the 3 MOA will go at least 8 months of daily carry at three clicks below maximum, havied carried them that way since last January and changing batteries every 6 months.  The replaced batteries still measured a good level on my Fluke meter.

the 6 MOA is a lot brighter and may not go that long.  I’m tracking the two I have for battery life, but they only play a few days a week, mostly dry fire and a weekly range run.

Edited by Archer

17 hours ago, Archer said:

The 2019 catalog specifically calls out 20,000 hours.  No setting mentioned.  I’ve no doubt the 3 MOA will go at least 8 months of daily carry at three clicks below maximum, havied carried them that way since last January and changing batteries every 6 months.  The replaced batteries still measured a good level on my Fluke meter.

the 6 MOA is a lot brighter and may not go that long.  I’m tracking the two I have for battery life, but they only play a few days a week, mostly dry fire and a weekly range run.

Thanks for the reply. Just picked up my Romeo 1 6 MOA so we shall see.

Congrats on  the Fluke they are the best.

Make sure the battery cap is over tightened (a quarter turn past what you can do with the plastic tool. 

I have the actual estimated life expectancy from SIG somewhere in my email. The brightness setting makes a dramatic difference. On the highest power and in continuous motion (truly staying always on) it was something like 10 days or two weeks of use, and at the lowest setting in continuous motion it was around two years. 

10 hours ago, alma said:

Make sure the battery cap is over tightened (a quarter turn past what you can do with the plastic tool. 

I have the actual estimated life expectancy from SIG somewhere in my email. The brightness setting makes a dramatic difference. On the highest power and in continuous motion (truly staying always on) it was something like 10 days or two weeks of use, and at the lowest setting in continuous motion it was around two years. 

Thanks for the info. I guess at a minimum I should turn it all the way down before putting it away.

5 hours ago, old558 said:

Thanks for the info. I guess at a minimum I should turn it all the way down before putting it away.

Or just turn off before putting away. The auto sleep should help, but turning off is still recommend.