Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer?

usmc1974

By AR carbine is throwing my brass out at about 12:30/1:00 I am told I am over gassing. I should go with a heavyer buffer to increase dwell time. Can this increase my velocities a little also. I have a new 4.8 coming. Thx

Cannot see how it would as the bullet has left the barrel by the time the bolt unlocks from barrel extension. Heavier buffer might slow down that unlocking but how could it impact bullet velocity?

Mark

details on rifle? intended use?

Brand barrel

Weight of current buffer

standard carbine buffer spring

Are you having malfunctions or just don't like the ejection pattern?

Edited by dkamps

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, dkamps said:

details on rifle? intended use?

Brand barrel

Weight of current buffer

standard carbine buffer spring

Are you having malfunctions or just don't like the ejection pattern?

No, the rifle runs great, Armalite M15 factory carbine.  I love shooting it,  it is mostly the ejection pattern. I was told my ejected case should be  at 3:00 to 3:30.  My rounds are a little on the warm side 55 fmj bt 27 grains varget. some say heavier buffer some say heavier recoil spring. 

Depending on how many rounds the action spring/buffer spring has seen, it might be sagged out, think minimum length is supposed to be 10 1/16" and new one is around 11". If spring is not worn, then most likely your gas post in the barrel is oversized, as manufacturers tend to go with larger than necessary to avoid complaints of malfuntions with weak ammo.

The forward ejection is not ideal but not a problem either. Folks like the 3 to 4 o'clock ejection angle as it shows the system is balanced. If its something you really want to achieve, a heavier buffer is the easiest fix. Cheapest solution is to buy extra tungsten weights and substitute them for the steel ones presently in there. If you have a front sight base, forget about an adjustable gas block, think its too much work, but an adjustable gas key is another option. 

Unless its a competiton carbine, where you are willing to fine tune for more points, being over gased is a plus in the sense that you less likely to have issues with a dirty action.

Mark

18 hours ago, mpom said:

Depending on how many rounds the action spring/buffer spring has seen, it might be sagged out, think minimum length is supposed to be 10 1/16" and new one is around 11". If spring is not worn, then most likely your gas post in the barrel is oversized, as manufacturers tend to go with larger than necessary to avoid complaints of malfuntions with weak ammo.

The forward ejection is not ideal but not a problem either. Folks like the 3 to 4 o'clock ejection angle as it shows the system is balanced. If its something you really want to achieve, a heavier buffer is the easiest fix. Cheapest solution is to buy extra tungsten weights and substitute them for the steel ones presently in there. If you have a front sight base, forget about an adjustable gas block, think its too much work, but an adjustable gas key is another option. 

Unless its a competiton carbine, where you are willing to fine tune for more points, being over gased is a plus in the sense that you less likely to have issues with a dirty action.

Mark

Thanks I am going with a heavier buffer I have one I bought it is 4.9 I thought I could just maybe change out some of the heavier weight get it down to about 4 oz. That was not to be, It was a solid steel machined buffer I was able to drill out the center and get it down 4.0 the price was good 11 bucks each shipped. I got 3 but think I will only use the one. 

17 hours ago, Clint U66 said:

Do you have an adjustable gas block on that rifle?  Definitely sounds over gassed and I had a similar experience with a rifle a few years ago.  WAAAAY over gassed and a quick adjustment made all the difference in ejection pattern.

I have thought about an adjustable gas block I want to get another suppressor in 223 

10 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I have thought about an adjustable gas block I want to get another suppressor in 223 

So the answer is no to the adjustable gas.  That will have a lot to do with the ejection pattern you are seeing.  If you do suppress it you could still run an adjustable  gas but if its will have a dedicated suppressor you may just wanna put the suppressor on and see how it acts with it and the factory  gas block.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:57 PM, mveto said:

This is the chart I tend to refer to help with ejection .285700A6-7109-41F2-8185-5046BA7CC2E0.jpeg.d48acb0ef4e8d95e0e507f77658448d1.jpeg

It is the one I use also. I have a heavier. Carbine spring and a heavier buffer which do you think is better? Thx

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, mveto said:

I prefer running a heavier buffer if needed, but I will always choose an adjustable gas block if its an option.

I put in a 4.1 carbine buffer but it is still throwing the brass out at about 1 o clock. I ordered a adjustable gas block, and I do have a 4.9 buffer. the load I am running is

Hornady 55 fmj bt

varget 27 grains,  Hodgdon max is 27.5 that is not going to happen..lol

wolf brass trimmed to 1.750

CCISR primer

COAL 2.260

Edited by usmc1974