Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Black nitride vs Black Nitride with Polycoat

minnesota1

I see them listed both ways.  I notice that the straight black nitride actually costs more than the black nitride plus the additional layer of polycoat.  What is the difference?  Why would adding a coating end up being cheaper?  Is the one with the straight nitride a thicker nitride vs the one with both the nitride and polycoat?  Just trying to learn.  Which would hold up better for those who dryfire and practice draws, etc.? 

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Quote from CZ's web site:  "A hardy nitride coats the entire pistol, leaving it nearly impervious to corrosion, while the frame gets an additional layer of our black Polycoat finish. "

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-shadow-2-black-blue/

I understand that, but I see that they have 2 models available at some places and one is strictly nitride and one is nitride with polycoat.  The one with the addition of polycoat is actually cheaper.  I'm just wondering why as if you add something extra that usually spells extra cost.

The nitride-only models had to be visually perfect, but they aren't "better" - they just have no cosmetic blemishes whatsoever. They were expensive because so few of them made it off the production line in "perfect" condition - it's a rarity factor. 99% of all Shadows needed to be polycoated on top so that they would pass QC requirements, but again, only for cosmetic reasons (because people who buy guns but don't actually shoot are the biggest whiners of all).

But like @eerw said, they haven't been available in a loooong time.  Every single Shadow/Orange in shops today is polycoated with nitride underneath. If you see any being advertised as nitride only, it's a typo or some other error. And as far as everything I've heard, there are no plans to produce any more nitride-only guns. Not worth the hassle for CZUB. It's easier and cheaper for them to just automatically have every gun polycoated instead of time-consuming hand inspections to find the 1 in 100 perfect gun that can be sold without polycoat.