Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Normal Sized Sizing Die That Goes All The Way Down

Rikarin

I have been reading about EGW and Lee undersized dies. I don't have one yet.

Pro:

* They de-guppy-belly the cases

Cons:

* Shortening the life of the cases

* hard to position the bullet straight

* Reloading doesn't go smooth, sometimes cases sitck to Powder funnel. And I know plishing the Powder Funnel is one of the solution.

The Pro, de-guppy-belly is possible because the dies goes ALL THE WAY down. The Cons are all caused by the dies undersize.

So, best solution here is to buy/make whatever to have normal sizing die which goes ALL THE WAY down.

I already have carpol-tunnel which get quite aggrevated by relading and very very reluctant to buying undersized die. I use One Shots and I even wash my brass to make sure its squeeky clean.

Anyone has any idea is there any normal sized die go all the way? No, I don't have any machinist friend to grind down the Dillon Sizing Die :( Or, of couse, I'd love to have someone do that for me!! :D

Also, I think using Lee's crimp die is essential same (undersizes) ins't it?

I haven't experienced hardly any of the cons you mentioned with my EGW/LEE undersize die..... It works great, with clean cases and a little One Shot ,and properly adjusted dies. Maybe 1 out of 100 cases sticks a little when sizing, harder pressure on the handle to cycle, buts its not significant. With the right bell, its just as easy to set the bullet on top the case as well.

And the factory crimp die only affects crimp, not the sizing of the lower end of the case.

If you only want full length resizing, and no undersize, have your current sizing die ground down shorter to remove the bell on the bottom of the die... but your machine will be less relaible as the cases tend to jam up on the die if not aligned perfectly.

Yo Rik! You wrote: "I already have carpol-tunnel which get quite aggrevated by relading and very very reluctant to buying undersized die. I use One Shots and I even wash my brass to make sure its squeeky clean. "

Under the circumstances, careful use of a non-U or non-undersized die may be an appropriate option. But, how to size as far down as possible?

EGW supposedly modifies their dies. You should be able to have a machine shop modify your favorite die on a lathe for a small fee; perhaps an inquiry at your next match would lead you to a sympathetic shop?

What you want them to do is to bevel the outer steel portion of the die body without toching the brittle inner carbide ring (which can easily crack). This should allow the die body to be adjusted slightly lower/closer to the shellplate for more sizing & hopefully, removal of the guppy belly.

As for wrist pain, there have been discussions regarding alternative case lube such as silicon spray and Strader's favorite: Bo-Shield developed by Boeing Aerospace (not sure where to buy it though).

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Lee 4-die set

I stopped using the EGW die and went back to a standard Lee 4 die set for .40. It resizes all of the guppy bellied brass that I run through it. There is not as much resistance as with the EGW die. My press runs smooth with these dies and some One Shot case lube. For $26, it's hard to go wrong.

Also, I think using Lee's crimp die is essential same (undersizes) ins't it?
Not at all. It does not undersize the finished round like the EGW die does.

Cons:

* Shortening the life of the cases

* hard to position the bullet straight

* Reloading doesn't go smooth,  sometimes cases sitck to Powder funnel. And I know      plishing the Powder Funnel is one of the solution.

I've been using an EGW U-Die since I started reloading .40 and haven't run into any of the problems you describe.

Seating the bullet on the case is more a function of how much the mouth of the case is belled, not how the case is sized.

Having the case stick to the powder funnel is a common occurance with any type of dies, as Dillon talks about it in the owners manual for their presses - solution is to use a fine grit sandpaper on the outside of the powder funnel.

-David

I run a "U" die, the redding micro seater and a polished powder dropper.

I can easily run 1200+ an hour with no more effort than before.

Yes it was a hassle before we polished the powder drop, but that's an easy fix for really slick ammo.

John has it right. Get a "U", polish your dropper, you and your gun will be much happier.

Yeah, this is ideal solution for me but until I find someone who can do this, I will use undersized die for now.

Thanks for the pushes, everyone.

What you want them to do is to bevel the outer steel portion of the die body without toching the brittle inner carbide ring (which can easily crack). This should allow the die body to be adjusted slightly lower/closer to the shellplate for more sizing & hopefully, removal of the guppy belly.

Rikarin,

If you have an existing Dillon die, I'll be happy to grind it down and polish it for you. It's no big deal. You just have to promise me not to crash it into the shellplate and break the carbide. OK? :)

FWIW, carbide isn't as fragile as fine china. It's not like they haven't been making cutting tools out of the stuff for a couple decades or so now. You won't crack it with reasonable care. Pound on it, drop it, or smash it in a compound leverage press and yes it will shatter, but you have to put out the effort to do it. A little common sense goes a long way.

What???! OMG!!

EricW, you need to change your forum name to Saint! I will beg Brian to pay you some BrianEnos.com Cash :D or somethin....if such a thing :D

please PM me. thank you again

Rikarin,

If you have an existing Dillon die, I'll be happy to grind it down and polish it for you.  It's no big deal.  You just have to promise me not to crash it into the shellplate and break the carbide.  OK? :)

As for the case sticking in the dillon powder funnel, which caliber are we talking here? 9 mm or 40? If we are talking 40, I actually use the 9mm funnel as it bells the mouth of the 40 sufficiently for lead, plated or jacketed bullets and I don't get any of that annoying stickyness on the down stroke of my 650. I use the EGW U sizing die.

On my 650 I use the dillon sizer on 1, the EGW sizer on 2, cranked all the way down, the Powder measure on 3, the seater on 4, and the crimp on 5. I have the old style dillon powder measure so this may not be possible with the new measure.

I use dillon's case lube on my 40's and when done right, there s hardly any resistance. Since I use the 9mm powder funnel, the powder tends to drop more dead center and doesn't wind up sticking to the sides with the case lube attached.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rikarin,

I have been using a Lee U die (.45 ACP, that is my only pistol round right now) with no problems and some 4000 rounds. While I recognize that the U die might have the problems you cited, I and the folks I know that have used them just have not seen the problems.

Tungsten carbide has been used extensively over 40 years for machine tool cutting edges, masonry drills, earthmoving equipment, snow plows (guide shoes and cutting edges). There are many grades, and you usually trade wear resistence, Young's modulus, and wear resistence. None are fine china.

Letting Eric clean up you current carbide die is a deal. It should work.

I am thinking about one in .40 (building a LTD gun) but I shall try some Glock brass through the Hornady dies I just recieved first.

The Kalishnakitty is cute, but your smiling face is a better pic.

Billski