Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Bag

Lastcat

Been to only about 20 USPSA Matches in the last year or so. I have this Midway Range Bag I use for tools, ammo, gun bag, reloader, etc..... Has worked great. Some Matches the Stages are farther apart and it gets a bit heavy after a while. We used to bring a cart, but it just became a hassle, so we all just brought smaller bags and carry less. What ever works for you, that's great. Make a choice. This is just about my experience and maybe it might help someone along the way. Yes, I know you have stories of you transporting gear, which I am sure is far better and more awesome. Use what works.

MUsWC3z.jpg

So if I am close enough to the truck I'll leave the bigger bag behind and bring the smaller bag, a simple Craftsman Tool Bag that I had laying around. It works ok, kinda of small for the Gun Bag, but much lighter and I only carry the essentials. Getting a bit worn out and wanted to upgrade. Plus I had all my loaded mags in the bag shifting around, during our hike, up and down hills. 

qs2HrTK.jpg

So I was at Home Depot and found this bag. It's by Husky and was only $12.99.

0QF6iSC.jpg

I run a Czechmate and look how the small pockets are holding the Loaded Mags. 🤙 Perfect fit and tight. Here's the back side.

osweNJX.jpg

Exactly what I run, three of the 140's and one 170 mag. It has 2 pockets on both sides and 5 pockets each, front/back. Inside there are no pockets, but I am thinking of making a zipper pocket and sewing it to the inside. For keys, Snickers, Swisher Sweets, etc.... On the inside I only bring along what I need and if something goes wrong, I can just make a trip to the truck and get out the bigger bag. But this Husky Bag is taller inside so the Gun Bag stands upright with plenty of room. Here's the essentials I bring along.

bQVghyk.jpg

IZL9NJF.jpg

Gun Bag, Tool Case, 200 rounds (Berry's 9mm Cases), I always load my mags in the morning, before a Match. The 4 mags will hold 97 plus the 200, that's 297 total. Depending on the Match, I bring less or more. Then at the last stage I have full mags. I bring at least 120 extra 9mm over the Match Round Total.

Uplula, Walker Razor and Gloves for setting Poppers up and tearing down stages at the end of the day. What I like the most is, the Pockets on the front and back that hold the Mags, awesome and tight. At first it's very tight, but over night, those pockets form to the mags.

I might get USPSA (Name and City, State) embroidered on the back and a Patch of some kind to cover the Husky Logo, later on. Now I can leave the bigger bag behind and carry this lighter Husky bag. I always unload my Pouches after I shot a stage and put them in the pockets. I RO and keep time, so I don't care for my mags on the belt. When I'm on Deck, then I grab the mags from the bag.

Before I bought my Blackhawk bag I used to use one of the military surplus tool bags. Worked great at the time. I like the Blackhawk bag. Prefect size for me even for bigger matches. Big enough for all my stuff plus some snacks but not so big I can fit the kitchen sink.

• 3 weeks later...

I've started using the smaller Midway competition bag and stopped carrying the kitchen sink around. I leave all the extra stuff in the truck and just carry what I need around the bays. It works perfectly. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:15 PM, Adamj said:

I've started using the smaller Midway competition bag and stopped carrying the kitchen sink around. I leave all the extra stuff in the truck and just carry what I need around the bays. It works perfectly. 

Yep, same here. I used to bring the BIG bag and also a small cooler also (food, drinks, etc..) Said screw that. Went smaller and kept the big bag in the truck too. Whenever I finish a stage, I always unload my belt of mags and now I can just slip all 4 mags on the outside pockets.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, JJB05 said:

I have the DAA bag...it holds everything...i put it onto a golf pushcart for matches where there is a lot of distance between stages.

DAA bag.jpg

That's a nice bag. I think one of my buddies uses those. He also had this converted Jogging Stroller and we all would pile our stuff on it, and he had to push it...hahahaa.... But, he has since ditched that, because of space (or maybe it was us, lol) and collapsing/folding it to fit into the car. Pushcarts work great though.

I saw a guy a month ago dragging the lid to those luggage compartments, that you attach to the top of your car. He had the lid off and upside, filled with gear and pulling it with a rope. Dragging it over the gravel/ground. To each his own.

1 hour ago, Adamj said:

There's no shame in the tactical baby stroller. I use one for 3 gun. I feel a little silly but it beats the heck out of lugging all the guns and gear around all day. 

It's all good, lots of guys use those, you're spot on. I think my buddy just got tired of packing and unpacking his, so he went to the DAA Bag. Bummer too, we had a personal caddie 😁.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:02 PM, Lastcat said:

That's a nice bag. I think one of my buddies uses those. He also had this converted Jogging Stroller and we all would pile our stuff on it, and he had to push it...hahahaa.... But, he has since ditched that, because of space (or maybe it was us, lol) and collapsing/folding it to fit into the car. Pushcarts work great though.

I saw a guy a month ago dragging the lid to those luggage compartments, that you attach to the top of your car. He had the lid off and upside, filled with gear and pulling it with a rope. Dragging it over the gravel/ground. To each his own.

Ha...yeah a lot of the ranges I shoot at have a decent amount of space between bays and some uphill....makes it a lot easier pulling or pushing a cart than lugging it all over.