Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scale modeling

rowdyb

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Must... resist... another... hobby.........

Tell me about it.

I used to build and race both nitro and LiPo powered rc trucks and buggies when I was stationed in Japan. It can get expensive really quick once you start upgrading driveline and suspension parts using titanium. I still have all of my Mugen  Seiki, Kyosho, Tamiya, traxxas trucks and buggies but haven’t raced them for a long time.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved model cars back in the day.. nothing better than a rainy day, newspaper covering the kitchen table and the smell of old  Testors glue and paint. Turning 50 this year and thinking about picking it up again.  Building all those cars I’ll never be able to afford. 

10 hours ago, GIO said:

Loved model cars back in the day.. nothing better than a rainy day, newspaper covering the kitchen table and the smell of old  Testors glue and paint. Turning 50 this year and thinking about picking it up again.  Building all those cars I’ll never be able to afford. 

47 years old here and have the exact memories. You'll be surprised at the different way things are now. Acrylics are the paint most use. (Though probably not for a glossy car finish I bet enamel still rules) All the way better sanding options as far as sticks, files, sponges, papers, polishes. Pre cut masks for windows. The proliferation of resin and metal photo etch detail parts. Everyone using an airbursh. Oh, and kits are built waaaaayyyy better than I remember. It's awesome how well plane kits from Tamiya, Eduard and Hasegawa go together!

I primarily build aircraft, and just stylistically things have changed. I remember back in my early teens the ideal was to have a model that looked real of course, but new. Now a days it seems there is a much heavier emphasis on a more worn or natural tone to the whole thing.

Finally youtube. I've learned new techniques in 30 minutes that would have taken a year to suss out on my own. If at all.

13 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Thank you!

Next in line is a Hasegawa 1/48 Robotech Veriflex to be followed by an Eduard 1/48 MiG 21.

Ah, dide!!!!!  I heard that a Robotech movie is in the works. I need to scheme my way into it somehow.  I’m okay being the guy who dies in the opening credits.  

9 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Ah, dide!!!!!  I heard that a Robotech movie is in the works. I need to scheme my way into it somehow.  I’m okay being the guy who dies in the opening credits.  

MechWarrior 5 will be out this year too. Can't wait for that one.

19 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Robotech

i post most of my modeling pictures to the story part of instagram. usually as i build, so the whole process comes up as i go along. on ig find me at @rrrrowdy if you want to see those kinds of pics.

• 1 month later...

@rowdyb Never too late to do hobby kits, and the weather is never a factor either. 

I remember as a kid I did quite a few Macross/Robotech and Gundam models. 

IG has some great accounts to follow if you're looking for showcases of awesome modeling kits. I love seeing some of the great mash up and home build kits people are able to make. 

You've gained an IG follow.

1 hour ago, KrymSIX said:

@rowdyb Never too late to do hobby kits, and the weather is never a factor either. 

I remember as a kid I did quite a few Macross/Robotech and Gundam models

IG has some great accounts to follow if you're looking for showcases of awesome modeling kits. I love seeing some of the great mash up and home build kits people are able to make. 

Thank you for the follow! My IG is very little shooting and much more my regular life.

1 hour ago, KrymSIX said:

I remember as a kid I did quite a few Macross/Robotech and Gundam models. 

I still have my complete Gundam that I bought and built when I was stationed in Japan. Wing Zero in Master Grade is my favorite. I need to open up the rest of the boxes and assemble the rest of the Master grade series that I have in the attic.

659-E7804-86-AF-456-D-9385-5-FC6-C15-AB7

EA9349-B1-5-ABF-4-DFC-802-E-983-D5-AA6-A

On 2/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, George16 said:

I still have my complete Gundam that I bought and built when I was stationed in Japan. Wing Zero in Master Grade is my favorite. I need to open up the rest of the boxes and assemble the rest of the Master grade series that I have in the attic.

659-E7804-86-AF-456-D-9385-5-FC6-C15-AB7

EA9349-B1-5-ABF-4-DFC-802-E-983-D5-AA6-A

Nice! San Antonio had their IPMS show recently and I looked at all the Gundams but only in pics on FB. Pretty amazing as it seems to mix the skills for figures and the stuff for mechanical things.

24 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Mig 21 I just did, in later war camo from N Vietnam.

53188034_10205966320515273_2115037970397396992_n.jpg

That looks really nice and realistic.

Do you use testors and Iwata for painting your scale models?

Edited by George16

42 minutes ago, George16 said:

Do you use testors and Iwata for painting your scale models?

for brush painting things i use vallejo acrylics. for airbrushing i use tamiya paints. for equipment i have the entry level iwata brush and compressor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...