Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quandry -- What To Buy Now (if Anything)?

boo radley

I'm finding myself in a situation, because of a number of circumstances, where I can rationalize a new pistol, but I'm not finding it an easy choice for a variety of reasons.

First, I have two "competition" pistols now -- a stock Kimber CustomII in .45acp, which I use for L-10. I have *finally* shot enough unique classifiers, that I should get my first USPSA classifcation, next month. This is important, since I have entered my State's Sectional, and I didn't want to be "U", for this match.

Second, I have a Glock 34. It wasn't as accurate as I liked, so I sent it to Smyrna, and they replaced the locking block, and slide-stop, and sent it back with a nice test-target, so I assume all is well. I've only put about 500 rounds through it, total. I find it pretty funky to shoot, because I've put so many rounds through the 1911, but I could get used to it. There are some things I like very much -- the sights (Dawson/Heine), the ergonomics of the mag release, the simplicity....

For both 9mm and .45acp I have the needed reloading equipment.

Now, to make a long story longer, towards the end of next month, I'm going for a two-day training class with Frank Garcia, in FL. The tuition was a wonderful birthday present from my wife, and I have enough FF miles to cover the trip. However, he asked that I ship down, bring or buy 2500 rounds of ammo.

If I bring my Kimber, that's a fair amount of expense and weight to contend with, even reloading myself, with .45acp. Also, I'm a tad paranoid about not having a back-up -- the pistol has run great, but I did break a thumb-safety a while ago....

If I bring the G34, 9mm is a hell of a lot cheaper to load 2500 rounds, and easier to ship, and I don't care about saving the brass. I could even order a couple couple cases of CCI Blazer, and have them shipped, if I don't feel like reloading that much in the next couple weeks on my SDB.

*However* -- that an awful lot of intense training with a Glock 9mm to turn right around, when I get back, and shoot a Sectional with a completely different pistol in L-10!

My budget is pretty tight at the moment, and while I'd love to just go ahead and get an STI or something, I'm thinking about doing one of three things:

1) Getting a used G35, hopefully a little tricked out with magwell, and nice sights. I would still take the G34 to Florida, but when I get back I'd shoot the G35 in the Sectional -- it shouldn't be *that* different. I'd prefer not to have to mess with loading .40SW right away; will factory .40 make major? (NM -- I'll look it up).

I would also use the G35 for Limited, down the road.

2) Getting a used Para, or something in .40, and taking *that* down to Fl. I'd later use it for Limited, and have it as a backup, or primary, L-10 gun. Not cheap, though.

3) Just getting some extra parts for my Kimber, and just biting the bullet (ha) and paying to have Wolf ammo, or something, shipped down, or just ordering 2500 cast bullets and sufficient brass and powder....This is probably the cheapest option, and I'm leaning towards this, or the first.

The runway is getting a little tight, though, at 4 weeks, and I should probably make a decision, soon.

Thx

In your shoes, I'd shoot the gun I was going to shoot in the sectional match. You're going to digest so much at the class, and in the months that follow it, changing platforms is just going to add to the mess.

I'd probably end up ordering all the stuff to do the loading, and just "get 'er done", and ship it out to Frank. Spend an hour a night loading, and you can be done in a week or so without killing yourself. At this point, I'd use one of the coated bullets (Precision is my current choice) to reduce smoke, but save money over jacketed. Ammo cost would be around $200 plus shipping.

Get an XD :) They have the same grip angle as a 1911, you can get the trigger pull/distance the same as a 1911, and get sight and you are set.

You know, I half-considered an XD the other week. I picked one up -- I suppose that grip angle is the same, but otherwise if feels *nothing* like a 1911, IMO. It's different enough, that I'd rather go ahead and get the G35, for ease and availability of aftermarket parts, etc.

Dave -- $200 seems pretty cheap to reload 2.5k of .45, since I don't have anywhere near that much brass on hand. If I stay with same load (4.9 n320 & 200LSWC), it's about $300 before the cost to ship 100+ pounds out.

9mm is starting to look better and better, although it's probably silly to worry about ammo cost in this instance: I should just look at it as investment in education.

Merlin, I agree with you though -- I need to pick one soon, and move on.

Given the state of the world, it seems like a trite issue to worry about, but this has been on my mind, and I appreciate y'all's input!

Dave -- $200 seems pretty cheap to reload 2.5k of .45, since I don't have anywhere near that much brass on hand. If I stay with same load (4.9 n320 & 200LSWC), it's about $300 before the cost to ship 100+ pounds out.

Didn't realize you were using VV... ;) I'd calculated against a rough bullet cost of $62/K (inc. ship - Precision bullets), powder @ ~$16/lb, primers @ ~$16/thou - $155 for bullets, $32 for powder, $40 primers. Really, more like $230 - plus shipping to FL. W/ the Viht thrown in, add another %50 onto powder cost (so, another $15). Then cost of brass. If you had to buy all new (to you) brass, you're looking at another $100 or so on top of that. If you prefer jacketed, add another, what, $30? If you prefer lead, you could subtract as much as $50.

To me, ammo figures into the total cost of the class, along w/ hotel, car, food, etc ;) Figure, too, that you'll probably have to pay to ship the brass back (if you can take with you...).

Note - Blazer 9mm for the class would run you around $200, give or take - maybe more w/ shipping.

Get an XD :) They have the same grip angle as a 1911, you can get the trigger pull/distance the same as a 1911, and get sight and you are set.

but otherwise if feels *nothing* like a 1911, IMO.

Sorry, I shoot a SVI, It doesn't feel like a single stack, but similiar to a high cap, with a smaller grip :)

I shot a G35 at Area 4 with factory ammo. I was in danger of running out of Winchester factory ammo after the first day (D-class shooters should add 30% to the round count!). I ran to Bass Pro Shops to get more. They only had Remington, so I bought some and went back to the chrono guys again.

Win 180 grain .40 made major easily, in Louisiana during the summer. I didn't chrono the Rem 180 grain, but I'd bet money it made it too.

Hard to believe anyone could use 2500 rounds in 2 days in a controlled manner, but I've never taken the class.

It sounds like cost is also an issue to some degree. If you switch to a STI or Para then think of the accessories that will add at least a few hundred to the cost of the gun. That doesn't factor in magazines which will cost you around $100 each + whatever "tuning" the STI mags need in order to function ;)

If L-10 is your thing, then stick with your Kimber and buy/reload 2500 rounds of ammo.

Get a new STI w/ a svi slide in 40 & 9mm & shoot both on the same platform. Any good smith can do this for you. It ain't cheep but you end up w/ 2 cal's for only $350.00 more than one gun.

Im with Benny on this one. Shoot one platform and get really good w/ it. Also the ability to shoot 2 seprerate cal. on the same platform would come in handy. (9mm for steel/IDPA and 40 for L10 or Limited)

I, for a while, was shooting a STI open gun and had a G35 for home defense. I have since replaced the Glock w/ a STI to maintain the same platform. Plus now i shoot better than i did b4, now that i dont have to relearn every time i switch.

You could do what I did, and I'm happy with my choice. I too, have a G-34 (must be a 3 pin), so I bought a 35 slide, barrel, ejector, magazines, and all top end parts from Glockmeister. Now I have a 9mm for production, and with 4 arrendondo +5 basepads, a .40 for limited. Two guns in one! It was substantially less money than a new gun, easy to assemble, and shoots great! Just something to consider.

Larry

Hard to believe anyone could use 2500 rounds in 2 days in a controlled manner, but I've never taken the class.

Yeah -- a friend asked, "What the hell are you going to be doing -- shooting while eating lunch??" I'll see, I guess!

It sounds like cost is also an issue to some degree.  If you switch to a STI or Para then think of the accessories that will add at least a few hundred to the cost of the gun.  That doesn't factor in magazines which will cost you around $100 each + whatever "tuning" the STI mags need in order to function ;)

If L-10 is your thing, then stick with your Kimber and buy/reload 2500 rounds of ammo.

Cost is certainly a concern -- I can easily rationalize a new/used SVI, but I'm not sure I can *justify* it, if that makes sense.

Remember the beating Blue Bear gave the Million Dollar Baby? Well, my wife....

Mind you, I'm not ruling this completely out -- I could sell a few odds and ends on eBay, sell the G34....But if I'm going to spend $1.5k+ for a pistol, I'd rather take my time, and get *exactly* what I want, though I think Benny Hill probably makes it!

L-10 is my thing at the moment, but both Limited and, especially, Production, seem to have far more shooters in my area, and I'd naturally like to shoot matches against as many people in my Division as possible. In fact, I bought the G34 thinking towards Production, at some point.

This is boiling down to Glock vs. Non-Glock, really. And the prospect of wrestling with 2500 rounds of .45acp. :)

R-n-R -- I didn't know you could put a G35 slide on a G34; good info, thanks. It would be a little cheaper, but if I go that route, I'd probably just assume get a used G35, since I'd not want to put the magwell off/on, etc., but it's something to keep in mind.

The wise old man said it best! As usual his common sense approach is the best solution.

Take the class with the gun you are going to shoot in matches. It is will be better for you in the short and long run. I took a class with a well know instructor with a new gun that was not broken in. I has a few problems. But it finally paid off. I jumped two classes in a short period of time and shot above my old average in two major matches.

Switching platforms is really a pain.

Remember with the exception of Benny, most guns need to go back to the smith once or twice before they run perfectly. So if you are gong to buy a new one get it done now.

First choice should be Benny. Then talk with Dawson or Shooter's Connection for a Bedell. There are many fine gunsmiths out there. These guys are at the top and the prices are more than reasonable.

Remember that Wally World has .40 at a cheap price. So you might want to switch to that caliber. I know it is another pain to do so. But it is better in the long run. I too did not want to switch from the 9mm and .45 mentality. I resisted it for three years. NOW I shoot almost .40 exclusively.

Bite the bullet and do it right. Wide body .40, three mags at least. You will not be sorry.

With the relatively short lead time you have to work with, it'd probably be easiest to bring spare parts for the Kimber, and I think, like the others, that you'll be better off shooting the same gun as what you will shoot in your upcoming major match (and it's your performance at such matches that you're trying to improve with good training and tuned/broken in/familiarized equipment, right?).

I took a course from Frank several years ago. On the first day I broke the locking block on my Beretta, the only gun I had. Frank lent me a Glock to finish the course. (I should probably mention that I was his only student that weekend, so, no more class if I couldn't shoot, and, at that time at least, Frank was selling reloaded 9mm to students, so it was his own stuff that was going through his own gun).

Kevin C.

With the relatively short lead time you have to work with, it'd probably be easiest to bring spare parts for the Kimber, and I think, like the others, that you'll be better off shooting the same gun as what you will shoot in your upcoming major match (and it's your performance at such matches that you're trying to improve with good training and tuned/broken in/familiarized equipment, right?).

I took a course from Frank several years ago. On the first day I broke the locking block on my Beretta, the only gun I had. Frank lent me a Glock to finish the course. (I should probably mention that I was his only student that weekend, so, no more class if I couldn't shoot, and, at that time at least, Frank was selling reloaded 9mm to students, so it was his own stuff that was going through his own gun).

Kevin C.

Thx, Kevin -- out of curiosity, did you end up becoming a Glock person after that? Or did you go back to your Beretta?

And I agree -- whatever I bring, I am planning on using in the upcoming and future matches. Just not certain whether it will be something completely new, and here the Devil tempts me, or a gun I already own. One issue with my Kimber is that I'd really like new sights first (I went to work with a file, not so long ago, and the results aren't pretty), and a magwell, so that's also a concern....

To change the subject a little -- what's the cheapest way to ship ammunition? UPS? Will the USPS allow it? I started reading through the regs, and never did find what I was looking for.

Aaagh...this was getting ridiculous. No sh*t, I was having trouble *sleeping* rolling a new gun purchase around in my mind. Funny how I can spend hours perusing the spec's of a potential pistol, online, or browsing different vendors, yet when it comes to DRY-FIRE, 15 minutes is a chore. <sigh>

Ended up buying a new Glock G35 today, at an area gunshow for $550 cash. All in all it makes sense, I think. I can swap parts as/if necessary between this and my G34. A couple hundred dollars more for some accessories, and a good holster, and I'm set.

Verily I lusted for an STI Edge, but....maybe down the road. I appreciate the many suggestions.

Boo,

When are you taking your class with Frank?  I want to do so too but I had heard that he wasn't going to be back in the country until December.

Um, the end of September, at least I haven't heard otherwise.

In retrospect, it occurs to me I should have bought a .22lr Conversion for my Kimber, then shoved a brick of Thunderbolt<tm> in my suitcase.

"2500 rounds?? Shit, I brought TWICE that, Frank. Let's do some shootin'!" :)