Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting ready to be a proud parent of a new 1050 this week

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Picked up the 1050 today. Started setting it up allvthsts left is the case feeder and mbf. Man it’s nice. Built like a tank. Can’t wait to start loading on it. 

A tip for you..Just remember that the 1050 primes on the down stroke. Do not push up or you run the risk of knocking the priming arm out of whack. Ask me how I know...

28 minutes ago, GringoBandito said:

A tip for you..Just remember that the 1050 primes on the down stroke. Do not push up or you run the risk of knocking the priming arm out of whack. Ask me how I know...

Yeah. I gotta get used to that. Was pulling handle when putting together and I was trying to push up on handle. Not hard though presscisnt bolted down yet. But it will take getting used to. 

Man do I love my 1050. I actually went straight for it as my first press. People told me I should start small with a 550 or MAYBE a 650, but I figured I may as well buy what I was going to end up wanting anyway. Being a full-time college student and working at the same time, I needed something that could kick out rounds as quick as possible when I've got little time to spare. Have had it for about 4 months now and around 6000-7000 rounds through it so far. Switching from 9mm to .40 wasn't cheap, but I should be covered for quite a while now. I'd imagine I'll get a separate machine if I start loading rifle rounds, but don't shoot them enough to justify it right now. 

I would definitely recommend a couple upgrades for the press, though. It's a sweet machine, but Dillon has definitely skipped a few steps in production that have been fixed by others. I'd say head over to Reloadin Innovations and get their bearing and spillstop kit if you want to have smooth operation while moving fast. Though not 100% necessary, I've had no powder flip since adding this to my press. I'd also recommend you get their lighting kit. A bit pricey at $50, but that thing lights every station up like no other! These upgrades for the 1050 can be found here

I'd also recommend some XL bin barriers from Inline Fabrication and a primer tube rack. I can hang 12 primer tubes at a time and hold about 1100 9mm in the bin at a time with these. Found here on their site.

I need to probably get a Redding Competition Seating die, as I get some bullets that seat crooked and bulge the case when I gauge my cartridges. But as someone mentioned, that'd be more of a luxury than anything. Obviously, you're gonna want a Hundo case gauge now too if you don't have one already. I tried to get by with a Lyman single gauge and an EGW 7-round gauge for about two weeks before just buying the Hundo from the Stoeger Pro Shop lol. Reduced my case gauging for competition loads from about 20-30 minutes down to like 10 minutes, at most.

With this setup and upgrades, I'm easily kicking out 700-750 rounds per hour, and that's without even using a bulletfeeder. There's a guy on Facebook 3D printing bullet feeders that work just as well as the DAA one and only asking $200 for them. Might be something you'll want to look in to depending on how much you're loading. That's gonna be my next press purchase, since I just spent like $200 on my .40 conversions to start loading for my new Limited gun. Let me know if you want a link to they guy for the bullet feeder too.

3 hours ago, tacomandood said:

Man do I love my 1050. I actually went straight for it as my first press. People told me I should start small with a 550 or MAYBE a 650, but I figured I may as well buy what I was going to end up wanting anyway. Being a full-time college student and working at the same time, I needed something that could kick out rounds as quick as possible when I've got little time to spare. Have had it for about 4 months now and around 6000-7000 rounds through it so far. Switching from 9mm to .40 wasn't cheap, but I should be covered for quite a while now. I'd imagine I'll get a separate machine if I start loading rifle rounds, but don't shoot them enough to justify it right now. 

I would definitely recommend a couple upgrades for the press, though. It's a sweet machine, but Dillon has definitely skipped a few steps in production that have been fixed by others. I'd say head over to Reloadin Innovations and get their bearing and spillstop kit if you want to have smooth operation while moving fast. Though not 100% necessary, I've had no powder flip since adding this to my press. I'd also recommend you get their lighting kit. A bit pricey at $50, but that thing lights every station up like no other! These upgrades for the 1050 can be found here

I'd also recommend some XL bin barriers from Inline Fabrication and a primer tube rack. I can hang 12 primer tubes at a time and hold about 1100 9mm in the bin at a time with these. Found here on their site.

I need to probably get a Redding Competition Seating die, as I get some bullets that seat crooked and bulge the case when I gauge my cartridges. But as someone mentioned, that'd be more of a luxury than anything. Obviously, you're gonna want a Hundo case gauge now too if you don't have one already. I tried to get by with a Lyman single gauge and an EGW 7-round gauge for about two weeks before just buying the Hundo from the Stoeger Pro Shop lol. Reduced my case gauging for competition loads from about 20-30 minutes down to like 10 minutes, at most.

With this setup and upgrades, I'm easily kicking out 700-750 rounds per hour, and that's without even using a bulletfeeder. There's a guy on Facebook 3D printing bullet feeders that work just as well as the DAA one and only asking $200 for them. Might be something you'll want to look in to depending on how much you're loading. That's gonna be my next press purchase, since I just spent like $200 on my .40 conversions to start loading for my new Limited gun. Let me know if you want a link to they guy for the bullet feeder too.

Good deal. I’ve bought the  reloading innovations upgrades you mentioned. Think I gonna get the uniquetek micro powder. 

Never seen why people like those micro adjustment knobs for the powder measures. I usually don’t go between more than two charge weights since I’m loading the same round for practice and matches, but I guess it’d be nice if you’re switching bullets or powders often? Even then, I’m usually able to adjust my powder drop with just a few small adjustments with the 1” bench wrench and it’s not much of a hassle. Of course, if you think it’d be worth it then more power to you. Maybe you’ve got a better reason than I can think of too lol.

2 hours ago, tacomandood said:

.I usually don’t go between more than two charge weights since I’m loading the same round for practice and matches, but I guess it’d be nice if you’re switching bullets or powders often? 

Shoot multiple divisions.

I load a 115gr Everglades plated with titegroup under it for PCC. (Coated bullets or FMJ will build gunk up in the compensator.)

A 147 bluebullet with Prima V under it for my carry optics, and my girlfriend’s production load.

I know exactly what settings will get my powder drop setting on the money. Roll the micrometer to the proper setting and go.

It’s also handy when working up a load: Figure out how much rotation approximates 0.2 gr and it’s easy to load a ladder with a new bullet or powder to 3.0 ... 3.2 ... 3.4 ... 3.6gr and so forth.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

19 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Shoot multiple divisions.

I load a 115gr Everglades plated with titegroup under it for PCC. (Coated bullets or FMJ will build gunk up in the compensator.)

A 147 bluebullet with Prima V under it for my carry optics, and my girlfriend’s production load.

I know exactly what settings will get my powder drop setting on the money. Roll the micrometer to the proper setting and go.

It’s also handy when working up a load: Figure out how much rotation approximates 0.2 gr and it’s easy to load a ladder with a new bullet or powder to 3.0 ... 3.2 ... 3.4 ... 3.6gr and so forth.

I never quite understood the micrometer bars either, but this explanation makes great sense. 

13 minutes ago, tacomandood said:

It definitely makes sense for the convenience, I’m just too cheap to want to spend $80 to save a few minutes at a time lol.

My thought was people were using it to get an exact drop, but the powder measures seem to have some variation, so this use makes sense. 

51 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I just may be to cheap also. Hard to spend 80 bucks on it. 

Not cheap I don't think, stuff that you don't use often, and that really doesn't need to be used, is just clutter. 

I hate clutter. 

If it is doing something for you that makes you happy that is a whole different thing. 

Decided to go with the daa click knob. They have the new gen2 version out now a lot better. Also got the reloading innovations bearing kit and ball and the spill stop and their lighting kit. It’s really nice. Ordered the level 10 innovations upgraded spring and bushing. That’s all I am doing at this point. Not gonna put everything on till I load a little on it or should I just install all the upgrades first and then start. 

Eh, it’s harder to appreciate the difference the upgrades make. As I mentioned before, it’s not anything huge, but you’ll definitely see how much smoother everything runs after installing them. I processed about 1200 pieces of brass last night in about an hour because it was so easy to just crank that handle as fast as I could while resizing. I know if I was indexing the machine that fast before the upgrades, pieces of brass would be flying out and around everywhere.

But I’d say you can probably wait until you take apart the press to clean it before you install everything. I clean mine about every 2-3k rounds (about 6000 turns if you count brass processing) and when I changed calibers yesterday, but Dillon recommends somewhere between 5-10k loads I think.

I’ve noticed the press stays a lot cleaner with the upgrades, though, and when I clean it now it usually just consists of a quick brush/wipe and reapplying grease to moving or metal-to-metal parts. Grease will be very little too. I bought a brand new container when I got the press and have cleaned it about 4-5 times now and haven’t even used the grease that’s stuck on the lid of the can lol. Pulling out all the brass locater pins and doing a quick brush around the shell plate after a session helps keep it cleaner longer too.

Thinking about selling my brass feeder or my mbf. 

Used to enjoy building up a stockpile of ammo before warm weather came back. Now the experience is over so quick it is not even a thing, and I'm wondering why worry about it since I can always catch up quick if I need to. 

17 hours ago, jnr88 said:

I bought the same upgrades when I purchased my 1050. So far I haven't seen the need. Loading 9 and the 1050 is perfect. 6 months in.

I hear ya decided last night to hold off and run the press. I haven’t had s 1050 so I won’t know if the upgrades work or not or if something was wrong to begin with so gonna hold off till first cleaning like a member said. 

Yeah, as I mentioned before, the bearing upgrades aren't absolutely necessary but a nice thing to have. A similar upgrade to the precision powder adjustment where it's nice to have and makes a slight difference, but for only $25 I figured it was worth it. If you ever decide to upgrade to an autodrive most people say its almost completely necessary, so at least you've invested in the upgrade now rather than later. 

I don't know if its my getting better with the press or the upgrades along with it, but I easily loaded 900 rounds in just under an hour (58 minutes) the other day. I'd attribute the smooth and consistent function to the upgrades and it was definitely nice not having to stop every ~100 rounds to brush off powder around the shellplate. The lighting kit I absolutely recommend installing as soon as possible. It's helped me catch messed up cases, different caliber cases, and janky bullet seats before it jams up the press a few times now. Of course, that's easier to add when you take it apart for cleaning, so whichever you end up doing first works lol. Let us know what you think after you've had a good run with those installed. 👍

Edited by tacomandood

1 hour ago, tacomandood said:

If you ever decide to upgrade to an autodrive most people say its almost completely necessary, so at least you've invested in the upgrade now rather than later. 

My 1050 is automated but I haven't seen the need to add the bearing plate. What do people say the benefit is? 

My 1050 is automated but I haven't seen the need to add the bearing plate. What do people say the benefit is? 

Primarily faster operation, depending on what auto drive you’re using. With the Mark 7s, I guess you can increase the index speed without worrying about powder flip. More of a problem for those loading 9mm major with a case full of powder. I know there are replacement rods or whatever those things are called on the toolhead that go thru the shellplate that are supposed to have tighter tolerances too, but I haven’t looked into it too much.