Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Rule Question

saibot

I recent purchased a set of MBX base pads for my 170mm tubes but they are way to long now and don't fit in the gauge. If I put them on my 140mm mags, they don't fit the gauge, but are they legal for Open since they don't exceed 170mm? Wasn't sure and thought I'd check.

Thanks!

Yeah, 170 is max disregard 140 length unless you put an extension on it that makes IT over 170.LOL

Amazing how many folks don’t know this. I actually had a chrono guy challenge my 140’s this summer. Ugh...

2 hours ago, Trent1k1 said:

USPSA is 171.25mm i think.  IPSC is 170mm EXACTLY.

Agreed, the 140's do not need to fit a gauge for open for either USPSA or IPSC.

well, technically they do need to fit in the ~170 gauge but practically, measuring them for an open shooter is a formality as it's obvious they'll fit.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Yeah, 170 is max disregard 140 length unless you put an extension on it that makes IT over 170.LOL

Amazing how many folks don’t know this. I actually had a chrono guy challenge my 140’s this summer. Ugh...

Hahah. This is exactly what crossed my mind when I asked.

Thanks for the clarification!

I don’t know how the mag measurement procedure differ in USPSA from IPSC but be careful using a “gauge” to measure mags.

In IPSC the mag is measured at the back, from the basepad to the top of the back of the feed lips. I’ve seen a DAA gauge fail a legal mag because the angle at the top hit the front of the feed lips before the back was flush against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Matt1 said:

I don’t know how the mag measurement procedure differ in USPSA from IPSC but be careful using a “gauge” to measure mags.

In IPSC the mag is measured at the back, from the basepad to the top of the back of the feed lips. I’ve seen a DAA gauge fail a legal mag because the angle at the top hit the front of the feed lips before the back was flush against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USPSA now allows slight pressure to make mag lie flat.

22 hours ago, saibot said:

I recent purchased a set of MBX base pads for my 170mm tubes but they are way to long now and don't fit in the gauge. If I put them on my 140mm mags, they don't fit the gauge, but are they legal for Open since they don't exceed 170mm? Wasn't sure and thought I'd check.

Thanks!

For OPEN they must be no longer than the official 170 mm gauge used by the organization, USPSA is 171.25 mm.

In USPSA all LIMITED mags must be no longer than the official 140 mm gauge (141.25 mm).

So if you put the mbx pads on a 140 mm mag and they are over 141.25 mm you can only use them in OPEN, or you will moved to OPEN if you try them in LIMITED.

You might check to see if some shaving would allow them to work on your 170 mm mags, Dawson had the SNL (sometimes not legal) I got 2 of them and had to shave the rear down a shade and NOT use a decal on that part to get them to fit the 140 mm gauge (I even bought an official one to be sure).

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, Sarge said:

USPSA now allows slight pressure to make mag lie flat.

So there is no worries about that little bit of spring pressure on the base plate that makes the mag's nose slide up the angle of the gauge anymore? In the past I've tapped the mags bottom so the play in it is gone and the base plate doesn't get pushed out by the spring.

9 hours ago, NamesNotMike said:

So there is no worries about that little bit of spring pressure on the base plate that makes the mag's nose slide up the angle of the gauge anymore? In the past I've tapped the mags bottom so the play in it is gone and the base plate doesn't get pushed out by the spring.

No