Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer feeding issue

Hey all,

Loading some ammo and the primer slide piece doesn't seem to be going all the way back. I've tried adjusting the arm that articulates that slider, but it doesn't seem to be fixing it. Is it possible the spring in this picture is the cause? Since it isn't going all the way back, it's not picking up another primer so it's not pushing in a primer for each round. 

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

https://i.imgur.com/Sl15zXf.jpg

Is this a new problem?  My 1050 always needed a small washer shim between the primer slide stop and the press to allow the slide to go back enough to pick up a primer.  I loaded for several years like this.  Last year, I ordered the new primer slide that has the brass bushing that replaced the rubber tubing on the slide and a new slide stop.  Now my press picks up primers without needing a shim.  

Check your primer magazine/tube tip to make sure it is not damaged or bent.  I replace the blue magazine tips if there is any question of damage to them.  

It's not necessarily a new problem, but definitely an intermittent one. Some days it'll go 4k rounds without a hitch, others it won't go 400. 

I'll try swapping out those blue tips, I have a spare anyway and there was some wear on it last I checked. 

I was having this exact same issue.  Like you, I hardly had to move the actuating lever much at all to get it to pick up a primer.  So,  I pulled the slide out, cleaned it up, and then applied a thin layer of lithium grease lightly to the sides and bottom and top.  That seem to solve the problem.

BRC

I took it apart earlier today and oiled it lightly with some full synthetic. I can take it apart again and try more. I also removed the ratchet bit due to the autodrive, was a colossal pain. 

It seems something is "binding" at the end of the primer slide's motion.  Check to see if the "arm" is running parallel to the priming slide track from start to finish.  The arm can get turned a little on the priming magazine housing and cause problems.  I set the arm depth when it is vertical, slide down to contact press and just move it up a little for clearance.  I can't tell from the video if you are using the old style slide with the rubber tubing or the new style with the brass bushing on the slide.  If using tubing, that may need to be replaced.  Is the bushing or primer seating stem/punch under the slide causing any drag or clearance issues with the bottom of the slide? 

Check to make sure the primer arm (that pushes/pulls the primer slide) is not bent forward.  This would do just as you experience.  The springs on the primer arm, might need to be replaced too, though I have not had to do that yet.  I run an AmmoBot on mine, and have loaded/processed maybe 50-100K so far. 

Also, loose that ratchet crap. 

Keep plenty of the plastic primer magazine tube tips on hand.  They are a disposable commodity.  

On the rear of your primer slide, is there a roll pin, or a screw and a brass roller? If you have a roll pin, it is missing the rubber sleeve that goes over it. Go to an automotive supply store, buy a foot of 1/8" automotive vacuum hose. Slice off enough tubing to just cover the roll pin. That will give you the additional movement your primer slide needs to pick up a primer.

1 minute ago, dillon said:

On the rear of your primer slide, is there a roll pin, or a screw and a brass roller? If you have a roll pin, it is missing the rubber sleeve that goes over it. Go to an automotive supply store, buy a foot of 1/8" automotive vacuum hose. Slice off enough tubing to just cover the roll pin. That will give you the additional movement your primer slide needs to pick up a primer.

I have the brass roller on mine