Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Any Of You Archers?

Just curious if any of you are archers. I find a lot of similarities between archery and pistol shooting. For example while I was practicing with my recurve tonight I found I could"call the shot". At the moment I released the string I knew whether the shot was good or not. Now if only I could do it quick enough to improve my IPSC scores!

Yeah, I shoot a bow. I have shot some 3 spot, 5 spot and 3D. I also hunt with archery equipment.

When I first started, one of my friends (who sells archery equipment) made a smart remark about how he could shoot a tighter group with his bow at 20 yards than I could with my pistol. I laughed at him. Of course he creamed me.

Now I can shoot a better group at 20 yards with my bow than I can with a pistol. Pretty amazing pieces of equipment.

Flex,

Yes.  Your sight radius is HUGE with bow.  On par with rifle.  There's also a high Zen factor shooting a bow.  There's a nice contrast between the strength needed to prep the shot and the calm necessary to execute it properly.  

Big Fun!

E

Flex:

Shooting a bow can really teach you a lot about tension. You need to eliminate all unwanted tension then execute a flawless release. The really cool part is the release is almost subconsious and it is done by...get this...applying back tension. Way cool.

As for accuracy, I can't tell you how many times I have shot 5X on a 5 spot target at 20 yards. It's not that hard. That translates into a one inch group.

I was heavy into archery before I discovered IPSC.  The only thing bad about one-holes in archery (unlike pistol) is that it costs you arrows (Robin Hood).

The average sight radius on a bow is between 24 and up to 32 inches.  Some of the super trick Toxonics match sights with 10 inch arms can take it out to and over 40".

It is a nice relaxing thing to shoot groups with a bow out to 80-100 yards.  Watching that arrow take a nice slow arc into the target is a thing of beauty.

Bowhunting is pretty much all I do when hunting for deer.  I've taken one Doe so far this eason but me and some friends are getting ready to go up to Ohio bowhunting for one of those P&Y bucks.  I enjoy hunting alot but it is getting to be a toss up between practicing with the bow and practicing with my STI.  

• 1 year later...

Merlin don't even get that debate started. Stick vs. Wheels. I shoot a Mathews. I use a mechanically release. I don't practice as much as I should, but love to hunt. I haven't gotten into 3D or any other archery comp. I just like to hunt with mine. Bows can be extremely accurate. I surprise myself sometimes. Definately don't shoot at the same spot twice. I only shoot broadheads, practice with what you shoot. TXAG

Hunting deer and elk is mainly what I use my bow for. Agree with the others on the fact I can shoot better groups at 20 yards with my compound than I can with my pistol, but lately I started shooting a recurve, and I have a lot more practicin' to do before the wild critters need to get too nervous.