Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not a custom Wilson combat for SS?

Akkid17

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, MikieM said:

In our sport you should never own a forever gun. What you should own is a tool that gets the job done in what ever division you happen to be in.

What’s your reasoning for this? I don’t see a problem with having a pistol you buy with the mindset that it won’t be sold whether or not you still shoot the division in the future. 

4 hours ago, MikieM said:

In our sport you should never own a forever gun....

People have different philosophies about buying and owning things. A pistol might be a tool for competing, but it can also be a thing that strikes you as special - and you want to keep it forever if you can. The two things don't necessarily exclude each other. Like, I have a couple of pretty decent old guitars that are also special to me beyond their sound and playability. I suppose you could say that they have a significant amount of sentimental value.

8 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

What’s your reasoning for this? I don’t see a problem with having a pistol you buy with the mindset that it won’t be sold whether or not you still shoot the division in the future. 

Because no one ever has that mindset. These are tools for our sport. How many people do you know ever looked at a gun and said, "Oh Jeez, Louise. I'm gonna buy that gun and keep it for ever and ever." :lol:

44 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Because no one ever has that mindset. These are tools for our sport. How many people do you know ever looked at a gun and said, "Oh Jeez, Louise. I'm gonna buy that gun and keep it for ever and ever." :lol:

I don't have that reaction to anything inanimate, and I don't call them "her", "she", or anything other than what they are, but I do generally keep the guns I shoot. The ones that just lay in the safe get sold after a while, once I realize that I have no use for them, after I sit there wondering why I bought it. 

My game guns though I keep, cause I know I'll be shooting that division again one day. Single stacks don't change much so keeping it isn't costing me anything. Same with most Production guns, unless you have to have the current hotness every season.

I figure it's easier to keep them than to sell them and have to go and buy another one, set it up and get all the ancillary gear when I revisit a division. 

9 hours ago, MikieM said:

A lot of people have gun collections and a lot of people have one or two really nice guns that they would be loathe to let go of and a lot of people have the gun that Grandfather taught them to shoot with kind of thing. A better question for me would be whether I know anyone that shoots often that does not have a gun they never plan to sell. 

8 hours ago, MikieM said:

Citing someone's inheritance, or a person who collects guns, only serves to muddy the water. It really isn't Germain to our topic.

When discussing whether or not to purchase a high end gun, it would seem very silly to leave out reasons that are important to many people. Having a few guns that you are proud of or having something special to hand down are both real things for many. 

21 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

I don't have that reaction to anything inanimate, and I don't call them "her", "she", or anything other than what they are, but I do generally keep the guns I shoot. The ones that just lay in the safe get sold after a while, once I realize that I have no use for them, after I sit there wondering why I bought it. 

My game guns though I keep, cause I know I'll be shooting that division again one day. Single stacks don't change much so keeping it isn't costing me anything. Same with most Production guns, unless you have to have the current hotness every season.

I figure it's easier to keep them than to sell them and have to go and buy another one, set it up and get all the ancillary gear when I revisit a division. 

I've never regretted keeping a gun, I have for letting a "few" go.  One even the wife told me not to!!!!!

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

When discussing whether or not to purchase a high end gun, it would seem very silly to leave out reasons that are important to many people. Having a few guns that you are proud of or having something special to hand down are both real things for many. 

Oh, come on. USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, et al, are games. And the guns we buy are the things we play these games with.

When you are in your dotage are you going to hand your grandson a holster worn, shot out old pistol and say, "Son, this is the gun I almost made C Class with."

Not me. I'm gonna sell mine to help pay for my new apartment at the Senior care facility. :roflol:

15 hours ago, MikieM said:

Citing someone's inheritance, or a person who collects guns, only serves to muddy the water. It really isn't Germain to our topic.

My opinion is that a person shouldn't fall in love with his tool.  ;)

Everybody has an opinion. I disagree with yours but will fight for your right to express it anyway.