Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Safety Differences??

Pickin

Rebuilding my STI, that I picked up off a buddy.  I am glad that I did, as everything was worn out.   I want to replace the SS grip safety for two reasons; 1. black to match the rest of the gun, 2. it was filed down so it will not engage the leaf spring.   I found an Ed Brown memory groove for $39, and one from STI for $70.  What is the difference if any?  From what I have read it looks like I would be paying for the STI name, other than that they are all the same?  Am I correct?  Thank you

Unless you are shooting IDPA, I'd  leave the grip safety disabled.  The way my hands are, i cannot grip high enough on the gun to enable the grip safety regardless of the manufacturer. 

Id worry more about Weak hand stages and out an Ambi safety on than worrying about a disabled grip safety

The best grip safety for an STI is the one EGW makes for GEM Guns.  It will require little to no blending.  It is patterned after the STI part, so you it functions identically.  The big plus is it is a bar stock part, so you are getting the best.  The Ed Brown GS will require more fitting and blending, at least in my experience, and will not have all the functions of the STI.  

I have two 2011.  One has the grip safety functional, the other pinned.  I prefer the feel of the pinned safety.  I leave the other functional because some shoots require all safety functions to be operational.

I prefer the feel of a grip safety without the memory groove. I also prefer pinned, but I shoot USPSA only and don't have any reason for a functioning grip safety.

My favorite grip safety at the moment is the CK beavertail grip plug. Minimal blending to most of my frames, rock solid fit, and doesn't even pretend to be a safety.

If I were to go for an Ed Brown I'd go for the machined version at an equivalent price. I've finally started to appreciate good quality machining.

I want to have the safety pinned, but I want to do it the right way and not file down the safety. Adam over at AGW has a great video on how to do it.  I also appreciate good quality machining. I'd rather pay and know that it's a good quality part.

I have a couple pinned safeties and it's just simple with the CK plug. Really like it.

If I ever want to swap it back to functional, I just do. Don't need to worry if I go to a steel MSH or different MSH that needs a new pin.

12 hours ago, Fo0 said:

Ed Brown has a machined Memory Groove also for $70

EB changed the design of their grip safety a while ago and the new style sucks.  It's not as high cut, the spur is not as wide and it doesn't fit the frame as well.  Really dumb move on their parts.  The high cut EGW grip safety is the best on the market.  As for shape, mine are all pinned and the ground smooth, with no pad.  I also use an arched ms housing, which fills my hand better than the flat ones.  Here's a photo w/EGW grip safety, arched ms housing and SV thumb safety.   

IMG_0176.JPG